nuhuh
91%
I really dont know!
9%

Total votes: 11

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:42 pm

wow....this is exactly what i mean, your not understanding even what i was trying to say! uhh....nevermind
Silence in Black and white

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:56 pm

If your not going to say it, then it isnt Important, thank you.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:01 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:i didn't say i do identify with it, but people do, and i from at one time being at that point in my life and still hanging out with people who still are, there are traits, but outsiders just don't get it...it's hard to explain, all i'm trying to say is, don't try to understand it :lol:
I mean to take no offense, but I find this very condescending. Like we are all stupid or wierd beacuse we don't understand you. You know, I can't stand people who think others can't except them for who they are, but can't except others for who they are themselves.
All you need is love!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:04 pm

From the decription I read. goths are people who generally see things in the world and generally accept it.

If you think I careabout decoding what your trying to say, it dosnt concern me.

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:51 pm

Y'know, I think I'll just give up trying to have a decent conversation with people that are younger and less mature than myself. I find it impossible, they get so ticked off at you if you voice your opinion like I was. I don't care to understand goths as others explain them. I'll see goths as how I know them personally.

Every goth I know hang out at the dumpster behind the high school smoke, write sad poems about being dumped, dress in all black even in the dead of summer, and let me remind you in georgia it can get well over 100 degrees. They talk in slow melodramatic voices, act like they dont give a crap about anyone, slouch when they stand, draw violent pictures, hate the world, hate people, hate everyone, hate themselves, cut themselves, whine, cry, and complain about everything and claim that they're gonna commit suicide about four times a week, and most of them are either very skinny and tall, or really short and fat.

Now i'm not insulting any of you people by saying that, thats all about the goths that I know personally.

And to our dear Mrs. White, I never claimed to be goth, I said I'd sooner be called an emo, which my ex-boyfriend calls me all the time so i bite him teasingly, inside joke, he said "Being Emo bites..." i thought he said "emos bite" so i bit him :P . I'd also be considered Bohemian since I put my "art" above everything else, my "art" would be my writing.

Now then before I get really b*tchy, i'm going to bed, i dont know what it is about chocolate that makes me so emotional, oh well. Goodnight those that dont tick me off.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am

NTD Mouse wrote:Y'know, I think I'll just give up trying to have a decent conversation with people that are younger and less mature than myself. I find it impossible, they get so ticked off at you if you voice your opinion like I was. I don't care to understand goths as others explain them. I'll see goths as how I know them personally.

Every goth I know hang out at the dumpster behind the high school smoke, write sad poems about being dumped, dress in all black even in the dead of summer, and let me remind you in georgia it can get well over 100 degrees. They talk in slow melodramatic voices, act like they dont give a crap about anyone, slouch when they stand, draw violent pictures, hate the world, hate people, hate everyone, hate themselves, cut themselves, whine, cry, and complain about everything and claim that they're gonna commit suicide about four times a week, and most of them are either very skinny and tall, or really short and fat.

Now i'm not insulting any of you people by saying that, thats all about the goths that I know personally.

And to our dear Mrs. White, I never claimed to be goth, I said I'd sooner be called an emo, which my ex-boyfriend calls me all the time so i bite him teasingly, inside joke, he said "Being Emo bites..." i thought he said "emos bite" so i bit him :P . I'd also be considered Bohemian since I put my "art" above everything else, my "art" would be my writing.

Now then before I get really b*tchy, i'm going to bed, i dont know what it is about chocolate that makes me so emotional, oh well. Goodnight those that dont tick me off.

I really dont think those people are goths.

Those are the psuedo-goth wannbees.

Those people should grow up and stop b!tching about everything. Some kids probably cant have a decent life like them, and here they go.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:22 am

Cluedokid25 wrote: I really dont think those people are goths.

Those are the psuedo-goth wannbees.
*I* think you've got it backwards.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:17 am

i think this whole conversation is really pointless,..not to sound rude or anything!
some people want to waist their lives whinning,..so let them!
i am going to celebrate everyday and not care what those dumba**es do!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:59 pm

I have to agree with Michael and cluegirl on this one. Some people do just love to waste their lives whining, I tried to help one guy, i sorta ended up falling head over heels for him, he continued to cut and whine about the pain of life, until finally he actually did commit suicide. Sure I was sad, but i was also ticked off at him for giving up on life so easily. Suicide is the coward's way out.

I really don't see anything with a true grayscale when it comes to people and stereotypes, its all black and white, they either are, or they arent. Personally I know a girl that called herself a goth but she was so bi-polar she'd be depressed one second then flirting with all the hot guys. If anything, she was an attention wh-re. She'd fake a studder to get attention, in my niavity I invited her to the prom so she'd stop crying over no one inviting her. She single handedly ruined the prom for everyone, she sat in the middle of the dance floor and plucked the petals off the corsage thingie i got her, pouted since no one would dance with her even though I asked her four times to dance, she then had the gall to tell everyone after prom that I asked her out, might I add that I'd never ask her out even if I was straight. She still owes me like 50 dollars for a pair of pants she wanted to buy and then ripped after she tried them on, almost got me thrown in lockup since she was shoplifting while i was with her, ruined my hair, and i recently heard she hooked herself a 14 year old boyfriend that got her pregnant, she's 16, she lost the baby, her boyfriend cusses me out on a regular basis, and he threatened me until i threatened him with a lawsuite for harrisment. That is a wanna be goth right there. She wanted the attention she thought goths got,

*note: I've asked all 27 of my friends on aim, every one of them say that goths are in fact Pessimistic
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Goths

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:57 pm

Well,the topic is about goths, and I understand that, but I take exception to the definition of suicide as the coward's way out. Nobody knows what's on the other side of that veil -- it takes a courage of its own to face that. Suicide is a critical facet in the freedom of expression -- the suicide expresses a conviction that she is uninterested in what the world has offered her at the prices it demands. Why should a person be obligated in any way, including morally, to endure another moment, let alone the probably forty or fifty years most of us have got left in us, of that kind of existence?

As I understand it, most people who persistently entertain suicidal ideation do so out of a profound sense of disconnect in terms of controlling their own world. Only people who've had, in one way or another, to fend for themselves have ever got over this deterministic worldview. After all, if you've never had to take care of yourself, your world is completely determined for you by outside forces, which reinforces the perception. Everything about the commercialized West reinforces the apparently overwhelming validity of what are in fact trivial decisions -- what brand should I wear/drive/eat because it's most popular? Movies and television and now a great many novels emphasize the overbearing, angry, bitter, manipulative, or unbelievably callous people are who take control -- all the "nice" or "reasonable" or compassionate people eat out, go dancing, tell jokes, drink, and have sex. Hard work is reduced to a fifteen second montage, appears only as a lead in to some insightful conversation, or is kept off-screen entirely.

Suicide is not cowardly. It's a reasonable response in reaction to a sadly distorted assessment of reality. People who talk about suicide may crave the attention, sure, but it's not that they have no intention of committing suicide -- they're still in the ambivalent stage of wanting to believe there's a reason to get up tomorrow morning, and needing to believe the evidence of their senses, as they've been taught to perceive them. They're caught in Appleby's catch-22 of the book by the same name. Yossarian tells him he's got flies in his eyes, and Appleby denies it. He says, "If I've got flies in my eyes, why don't I see them?" To which the reply is, of course, "You can't see them because you've got flies in your eyes!" If the very instruments of perception are faulty, how can you see well enough to know how to change them?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

On the subject

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:06 pm

On the subject, however ...

I agree to a point about a person's defining characteristics being black and white. However, the term goth doesn't have enough practical application to be objective. If it's a matter of satisfying someone else's perceptions of the classification, then I could try and try and never be goth. If goth is in fact to have any descriptive value, it has to be something one can be, even if nobody else agrees with you about what it means.

If my self-perception is dependent on what anyone believes, then it's not objective. If it's objective, then it's subjective, and I can, in fact, be goth all I want, and you can all take a running leap whether you agree with me or not; there's no right or wrong answer.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Also

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm sorry, NTD Mouse, to hear about your friend. Suicide is devastating on the people left behind. My boyfriend's son (godson, really, but he did more to raise the kid more than his so-called parents) hanged himself this past November, so I know only a little about what it's like.

I'm also sorry to hear about the mess this girl has made ... Nothing excuses making an *** of herself. She can be a goth ***, if she wants, but that doesn't alter the fact she's an intolerable person.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:48 pm

Sure, it may take mental courage to perform the physical act of suicide, but that doesn't make it courageous. It is, in fact, cowardly and selfish in my opinion. Suicide carries a heavy burden on those left behind. To ignore the impact on others for one's own selfish motives seems reprehensible to me.

I liked your wording, Lord C... "she is uninterested in what the world has offered her at the prices it demands". Economies fluctuate in a neverending cycle: growth, prosperity, recession, drepression. How foolish would it be to jump ship in the depression cycle when we don't know how long it lasts or what lies in the future?

I can imagine that we've all gone through a period of our life when everything looked grim. But times change. People change. Outlooks change.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:04 pm

NTD Mouse wrote:Y'know, I think I'll just give up trying to have a decent conversation with people that are younger and less mature than myself. I find it impossible, they get so ticked off at you if you voice your opinion like I was. I don't care to understand goths as others explain them. I'll see goths as how I know them personally.
AMEN! He gets it...the rest of you need to find something better to do than worry your little preppy heads on how others feel....and i don't even know what i'm responding too because i didn't bother to read those last like 5 really long posts in this thread...

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:06 pm

Why not? They're quite insightful.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:06 pm

also, no goth in his/her right mind, thinks they are better than anyone else, in fact they are irritated how the rich snobby prep's think their better than EVERYONE else...

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Irritated... or secretly envious?

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:23 pm

ew....ew....ew! why would anyone be envious of fake tan's and ripped up polo shirts....?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Perhaps for the opportunities it affords them.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:37 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:also, no goth in his/her right mind, thinks they are better than anyone else, in fact they are irritated how the rich snobby prep's think their better than EVERYONE else...
Ok, I have NEVER thought of myself as better than anyone else, and quite frankly, you are the only one on this board who has made themselves seem better than everyone else by being "enlightened" by this whole goth thing that somehow no one else can understand but actual goths. I agree with the whole envious statement. Maybe not of our "fake tans" (which I don't have) or ripped shirts (again, don't have), but like Michael said, the "opportunities" it affords us. I like to wear nice clothes. I don't want to go out and have people look at me like I'm some kind of freak because I'm wearing chains and have my face filled with piercings. I enjoy being able to go to my grandparents without them going "Oh God!" everytime they see me. I like looking nice, is that a crime? Does that make me a snob? According to you, it does.