91%
I really dont know!
9%

Total votes: 11

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote: If you take the time to go back and actually read what's being said, i never said i was goth! remember? i said i have goth friends...

Umm... YOU meaning plural. If you read what's being said, we've been over that. I thought I wouldn't have to spell it out again.
so the "you" your referring to is the non existant goths on this board....oh yes that makes perfect sense now...
Silence in Black and white

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Okay. Fine. You meaning One.

I think you're just antagonizing now because you can't come up with a logical argument to support your claims.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:26 pm

Oh, and that's You meaning You.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:26 pm

you meaning one? meaning me? i've already stated that i'm not goth...but whatever, and i don't need to "support my claims" because they can't be logically explained to people who can't comprehend anything more than conventional thought.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:29 pm

There you (YOU) go again... antagonizing as a diversion. And bringing up that whole "you're not smart enough to understand" thing. This IS pointless.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:31 pm

Then we shall end it here. It has nothing to do with intellect. It has to do with emotion, something some people lack proper doses of.

This shall be my last post in this thread....that is assuming i won't be blatantly pointed out again....

Since this is my last post in this thread i'll have to edit to edit your question below michael....to answer, i couldn't tell you, i don't own emotion, i rent!
Last edited by MrsWhiteinthestudy on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Well, okay. Now you've got something substantial. Emotion. What emotion is that, exactly?

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:35 pm

*blatantly points out Mrs White* :D

i'll chat later i'm rather busy, toodles everyone <3
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:40 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:Then we shall end it here. It has nothing to do with intellect. It has to do with emotion, something some people lack proper doses of.

This shall be my last post in this thread....that is assuming i won't be blatantly pointed out again....

Since this is my last post in this thread i'll have to edit to edit your question below michael....to answer, i couldn't tell you, i don't own emotion, i rent!
Nah you do own your emotion.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:45 pm

Well, thanks for your input, ntd. It's been most enlightening.

I guess the conclusion that I can come up with is that to be Goth, you have to encompass certain traits. There has to be a list of *common* traits Goth people exude. You can't have just one... You may or may not have them all. Some Goths may have polar opposite views on some aspects, but still share other traits. There has to be some tipping point at which one realizes they have enough of these common traits to fit into the group. Could it be as few as two? I suppose. But that is tenuous at best. There must be degrees of Goth. The more traits one has, the more they are perceived to be Goth.

I can't help but feel, though, that it is completely subjective.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:33 am

Goth as defined by Wikipedia

Goth is a modern subculture that first became popular during the early 1980s within the gothic rock scene, an offshoot of post-punk. It is associated with characteristically "gothic" tastes in music and clothing. Styles of dress range from death rock, punk, Victorian, androgyny, some Renaissance style clothes, a combination of the above, and/or lots of black attire, and makeup
All you need is love!

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:34 am

Bohemian as defined by Wikipedia:

Though a Bohemian is a native of the Czech province of Bohemia, a secondary meaning for bohemian emerged in 19th century France. The term was used to describe artists, writers, and disenchanted people of all sorts who wished to live non-traditional lifestyles.

"The term 'bohemian' has come to be very commonly accepted in our day as the description of a certain kind of literary gypsy, no matter in what language he speaks, or what city he inhabits .... A bohemian is simply an artist or littérateur who, consciously or unconsciously, secedes from conventionality in life and in art." (Westminster Review, 1862, noted at Online Etymology Dictionary.)
The term reflects the French perception, held since the 15th century, that the gypsies had come from Bohemia. Literary bohemians were associated in the French imagination with roving gypsies, outsiders apart from conventional society and untroubled by its disapproval. The term carries a connotation of arcane enlightenment (the opposite of 'Philistines'), and also carries a less frequently intended, pejorative connotation of carelessness. Bohemians were often associated with drugs and self-induced poverty.
All you need is love!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Re: Selfishness

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:36 am

Michael,
Ahhh... You articulate your points well. 1) Were you a philosophy major? and 2) I wasn't thinking of saving other's from the pain of one's absence, but more like the fact that the when one shoots themselves in the head, they're probably going to stain the rug! Think of the time, money and effort it's going to take to clean... :)
Thank you ... As to that point, it is rather annoying of those persons, isn't it? In the course of brainstorming for a story, I conceived of a person who disregarded his own existence so thoroughly, in respect to others, that he bought a lot of cheap sheets and duct tape, locked himself in a small public room, like the library utility closet or something, duct taped sheets across every surface of the room, and *then* shot himself. That way, when they do finally find him, it's just a matter of balling up all the sheets and dragging them out as a piece, and there's not a stain anywhere.

I read a book on the subject of suicide, once, a sort of scientific treatise, in which the story was recounted of an island in Japan where the most prominent feature was a volcano with a mouth so incredibly hot that on leaving the precipiece surrounding it one is instantly vaporized -- the suicide's deam -- a truly instantaneous death that requires almost no direct action (like obtaining a firearm). As I recall, a Japanese couple went there, or else it was a pair of friends, and one of them unexpectedly threw himself off and vaporized. Shortly after the story came back to the world at large, the local commerce board found that short-term tourism was on a monster rise. People were buying one-way tickets to the island, taking a tour of the volcano, and throwing themselves in by the dozens! The situation became so pronounced that finally the government felt it had to intervene.

Their solution? People going to the island would no longer be allowed to buy one-way tickets.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:49 am

Round trip tickets... LOL. THAT'S funny!

As for the sheets... How wasteful! Surely those sheets could have been put to better use - donated to a women's shelter for instance. Once again, the suicidal one is putting his/her own needs above those of others. How selfish!!

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm

ah, once again wiki has proven to be a lovely source of info. While my "poverty" is not so much as self caused, I dont really do anything to fix it, I do the random odd job, such as baby sitter, cashier, the such... but still I do not see where Bohemians are tossed into the mix with drugs... anyway, Ive got class. Toodles
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Goths

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:06 pm

Michael is correct.

Mrswhiteinthestudy is putting the notion of goths in with religion. "It's all just a matter of what you feel." There's no sense in trying to put rational, thoughtful lines around ideas to mark, "This person is godly, this is not," or "This person is Goth, this is not." Feeling is knowing.

This hypothetical fellow here is a Methodist pastor of fifty years, who has a thriving sideline business of loansharking and bookmaking. In his spare time he has drunken parties in the parish and occasionally he takes parishoners' children into "God's dungeon," in the parish basement, where he tapes them taking off all their clothes. When he's finally exposed, and carted off to jail, many in his parish share his spiritual "reawakening", and declare he was a godly man, and just stumbling. There's this other hypothetical fellow, now, who gives tirelessly to charitable organizations designed to help people, prays, lives free of worldly vice, and sleeps with men, so by definition, he's an abomination. What's the rationale? Well, those who are godly just know.

This fellow here dresses all in black, smokes imported black cigarettes, b*tches about Christians and "preps" and "wannabes", holds black masses, and *beep* to reading "The Raven," but I don't like his attitude, so he's definitely not a goth. But this girl, here, who wears school hoodies and plays tennis on the weekends, who can tell you every cute trait about her favorite boy band singer, herself sings in the church choir, and who holds wild drunken parties aboard her grandfather's yacht -- she invites me to these parties, so when she says she's goth, yeah, I believe her.

When asked for my rationale, I can't quite put my finger on it, but then of course I'm not really supposed to. It's not something you can put your finger on. You just know.
Last edited by Lord Caspen on Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Oh!

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Or better still -- it is eerily similar to the rationale used to burn witches, or hunt out communists, or terrorists.

======================================
B. "We're going to violate established civil liberties of United States citizens in the interests of protecting the citizens from terrorists!"

M. "Oh, yes? Well, won't that put law-abiding people at a disadvantage to their government?"

B. "No, because we're only violating the rights of people we know to be involved in anti-American activities!"

M. "How will you know for sure, until after you've violated their rights?"

B. *eyes narrow* "That sounds like un-American talk to me!"

M. "I beg your pardon?"

B. "Are you a terrorist? Are you a terrorist sympathizer?"

M. "What?! No, I --"

B. "TERRORIST! I'VE GOT A TERRRORIST HERE!"

M. "NO! I just don't get it! I don't understand how -"

B. "A real American would understand."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Yes, of course America would be a lot better if it wanst run by paranoid redneck religious fanatics.

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:Yes, of course America would be a lot better if it wanst run by paranoid redneck religious fanatics.
no offense, but I dont see how a Canadian can justly have a 'know all the facts' opinion on our President. While I dont like the man I can say that America hasn't always been run by a man like Bush, and yet our country is still having problems. I could say that Canada would be a much better country if your prime minister, president what ever it is wasnt what ever he is, but I cant because I dont know anything about Canadian politics...nor do I want to.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:55 pm

On the other hand, this generation so ill-educated and apathetic when it comes to the issues that I wouldn't be surprised if most of the world knew more about American politics then we do.