Goth

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply

Are you goth?

yuppers
0
No votes
nuhuh
10
91%
I really dont know!
1
9%
 
Total votes: 11

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:44 pm

What exactly IS IT that makes it Goth? How do you know it's Goth and not something else?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:45 pm

you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
Image
Silence in Black and white

NTD Mouse
Slueth
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Macon, Georgia

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:45 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:don't use the word "clique" to describe goth....it's a style and feeling of expression, not a "clique"
Well my mear, what would you like me to call it? I only used the word for its simplicity
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 pm

Colonel Gray Poopond wrote:I'm a bohemian.
Couldn't that be the same thing as Goth? Where's the line of demarcation?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17249
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:47 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:don't use the word "clique" to describe goth....it's a style and feeling of expression, not a "clique"

which is why I felt is envisioned my personality.
Image

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
If it can't be explained, it sounds just completely subjective to me. Which in turn, seems pointless.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

NTD Mouse
Slueth
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Macon, Georgia

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Michael wrote:
Colonel Gray Poopond wrote:I'm a bohemian.
Couldn't that be the same thing as Goth? Where's the line of demarcation?
Well, its quite clear, there is an actual deffinition of the Bohemian 'sub-culture' of the world, I gave it on an earlier post on page two I beleive.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:52 pm

Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
If it can't be explained, it sounds just completely subjective to me. Which in turn, seems pointless.
yep...it's pointless to those of you who don't understand it....but then again i said that 2 pages ago...and oop's here we still are...i finally think "cluedokid" is starting to get it tho! Bravo
Image
Silence in Black and white

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Are you referring to your statement about putting art above all else? Could that not also be Goth?

The definition I found of Bohemian is:

...An artisan, usually gifted in literature or the creative arts; one who defies social conventions; a gypsy.
While these definitions are technically correct, they don't seem to do justice to describing the Bohemian lifestyle.

Being Bohemian is all about living in an alternative space. Bohemians express themselves without regard for social convention. They attempt to experience the mysteries of life through their unique perspective.

Today Bohemian is used to describe free-thinking, free-living people - usually artists. Its modern roots are with the Beatniks of the 1950s. Their poets now stand as icons of progressive libertarian thinking.

- - -

How can that, then, not be confused with Goths? They have the same principles in the arguements presented earlier.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:13 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
If it can't be explained, it sounds just completely subjective to me. Which in turn, seems pointless.
yep...it's pointless to those of you who don't understand it....but then again i said that 2 pages ago...and oop's here we still are...i finally think "cluedokid" is starting to get it tho! Bravo
Can you explain what he said that made you feel he is finally getting it?

I think the whole "you just know" philosophy is bunk - and that's just what it seems to me your argument is. You can't describe what exactly makes you goth. You just know. One can't understand unless one knows. But one can't know unless one *chooses* to know.

I can say I just know I'm a good person on the inside. Prove me wrong. You can't. Doesn't mean I truly am.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

NTD Mouse
Slueth
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Macon, Georgia

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:14 pm

simple, well in my opinion...

As a Bohemian, I find the differece rather clear, Bohemians are much more optimistic usually, we have something we actually enjoy doing, while goths might enjoy it you can tell the difference in the final creation.

If its dark and moody, it is usually gothic.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 pm

NTD Mouse wrote:simple, well in my opinion...

As a Bohemian, I find the differece rather clear, Bohemians are much more optimistic usually, we have something we actually enjoy doing, while goths might enjoy it you can tell the difference in the final creation.

If its dark and moody, it is usually gothic.
Ahhh, but you said USUALLY. Earlier arguments seemed to suggest goth can be optimistic! They can enjoy creating their art too!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

NTD Mouse
Slueth
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Macon, Georgia

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 pm

Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
If it can't be explained, it sounds just completely subjective to me. Which in turn, seems pointless.
yep...it's pointless to those of you who don't understand it....but then again i said that 2 pages ago...and oop's here we still are...i finally think "cluedokid" is starting to get it tho! Bravo
Can you explain what he said that made you feel he is finally getting it?

I think the whole "you just know" philosophy is bunk - and that's just what it seems to me your argument is. You can't describe what exactly makes you goth. You just know. One can't understand unless one knows. But one can't know unless one *chooses* to know.

I can say I just know I'm a good person on the inside. Prove me wrong. You can't. Doesn't mean I truly am.
Oh piffle Michael, i have a prime example of 'just knowing'. I just know I'm gay, always have known. I didn't choose to like men. I just like them, its a natural attraction to me.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm

Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Michael wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:you just have to be nifty enough to figure it out i suppose
If it can't be explained, it sounds just completely subjective to me. Which in turn, seems pointless.
yep...it's pointless to those of you who don't understand it....but then again i said that 2 pages ago...and oop's here we still are...i finally think "cluedokid" is starting to get it tho! Bravo
Can you explain what he said that made you feel he is finally getting it?

I think the whole "you just know" philosophy is bunk - and that's just what it seems to me your argument is. You can't describe what exactly makes you goth. You just know. One can't understand unless one knows. But one can't know unless one *chooses* to know.

I can say I just know I'm a good person on the inside. Prove me wrong. You can't. Doesn't mean I truly am.
If you take the time to go back and actually read what's being said, i never said i was goth! remember? i said i have goth friends...

anyway to answer your cluedokid question, its all right here:
Cluedokid25 wrote:
MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:don't use the word "clique" to describe goth....it's a style and feeling of expression, not a "clique"

which is why I felt is envisioned my personality.
he's starting to understand what it is, more than this morbid "clique" clan your all making it out to be!
Last edited by MrsWhiteinthestudy on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Silence in Black and white

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17249
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm

which is the reason why you cant climb down the flapjacked fourside moon?
Image

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 pm

But you can Just Know you're gay because gay men have defined, readily identifiable traits. My point was, how can you know you're goth if there aren't any?!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: MI

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:19 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:which is the reason why you cant climb down the flapjacked fourside moon?
i don't think i'll even try to decypher that....
Image
Silence in Black and white

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote: If you take the time to go back and actually read what's being said, i never said i was goth! remember? i said i have goth friends...

Umm... YOU meaning plural. If you read what's being said, we've been over that. I thought I wouldn't have to spell it out again.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17249
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:22 pm

I think we all figured that out white otherwise youi would of voted "yeppers"
Image

NTD Mouse
Slueth
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 am
Location: Macon, Georgia

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:22 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
Cluedokid25 wrote:which is the reason why you cant climb down the flapjacked fourside moon?
i don't think i'll even try to decypher that....
its usually best if you dont try to make sense of his random outbursts Mrs White.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Post Reply