Total votes: 11

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm

Mrs.White only thinks we dont understand. :wink:

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:33 pm

I find it rather pointless that if we're going to bring up another stereotype, why must it always be prep. It gets compared with everything. It is rather annoying. There are so many different levels of prep and classifications it'd be so much easier to use something closer to goth.
i know a million places the gothic person would get the job...but thats just the thing, all of you percieve goth as this style, all black, chains, leather and lace...and piercings and what not....where as a lot of gothic people aren't even like that, but it's all of "the outsiders" (because goths think their so much better according to you) who assume that "goth" means all of those things, and it really really doesn't.
Only ones I can think of really are jobs that dont really involve social contact that frequently.

Though I agree with Mrs White that goths could get the jobs too seeing as how most people are smart enough to wear suits to job interveiws and not dress casual.
So where does the label "gothic" stem from?
Michael,

I beleive the term Gothic comes from a time period and art style of a similar name. The art style is very dark and some what dramatic, the colors used in paintings are dark and morbid and usually have a deep rooted point of satire at the politicians of the era since it was pretty much another dark age. I do beleive that the Notre Dame Cathedral is a gothic building, with all the gargoyles and such, a more modern example would probably be Batman's mansion in the cartoons, movies, and comics. I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure thats where it comes from, where the artists of the time period would be against the social standards of the country and rebel against it with their art
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Jay Beeskow
"Apparently, I'm most like Wadsworth."

Post by Jay Beeskow » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:41 pm

Oh, that "goth" nonsense, I've never really cared for it myself! I think that those people are desperate for friends, or to be a part of a group, to rebel against their parents or something, so they dress up in all that black (must not be very comfortable in warm weather) and wear all those silly things. I have no intentions to offend anyone, but I've seen this before with people, and usually just a phase.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:42 pm

Wow so many different ideas of a goth person.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 pm

http://www.goth.net/faq/faq05.html#052

a page on goths. Hopefully this shall enlighten the ignorant.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 pm

I too believe that it is not a permanent state of mind or being, but rather is a passing need for attention that manifests itself (how else but) in appearance.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Basically just be yourself and do let others make your desisions is the vibe Im getting off that page.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:52 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:http://www.goth.net/faq/faq05.html#052

I don't know how much stock I would put into a description of what a goth is from an all-things-goth website just as I wouldn't trust what a cult website was telling me about itself.

I'd prefer something from an outside, independent source.

Jay Beeskow
"Apparently, I'm most like Wadsworth."

Post by Jay Beeskow » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm

As would I.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:01 pm

Michael wrote:
Cluedokid25 wrote:http://www.goth.net/faq/faq05.html#052

I don't know how much stock I would put into a description of what a goth is from an all-things-goth website just as I wouldn't trust what a cult website was telling me about itself.

I'd prefer something from an outside, independent source.

Well who wouldnt know a goth better then a goth.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:03 pm

While that may be true... how can we tell what is the factual and what is marketing?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:06 pm

Actually, as I was searching for an independent explaination, I found this. I like the last statment. LOL:

"A lot of people turn to the Gothic subculture after having a hard time in school, feeling alienated, and looking for a way to express themselves that mirrors those feelings. Others find the scene through literature, still others want to be shocking, and some people just find black clothing slimming."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Personally I just really dont care about popularity and mainstream, but I have a good life, good parents, lots of freinds. yes I was reading a description on a diffenrent site and

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:18 pm

This thread really interests me - I think it might be the most intellectually stimulating thread we've ever had! I'm not trying to be (too) judemental, but I just don't get it. It seems that one is goth simply for the sake of saying so. From what I read, it seems a general consensus is: "It is basically indefinable, because "Goth" means different things to each follower." So what I don't understand is how one would come to identify with them AT ALL if there are no readily identifiable traits with which to identify oneself.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Because then snakes wouldnt have armpits.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:23 pm

Can't you answer the question?

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 pm

And? And what?

Bah, Michael the only thing all black does is make someone look silly. Sure I'll wear black but I'll have to have some color with it, I mix and match all the time, my wardrobe extinguishes everyone's stereotype of a gay guy, I purposly dont match, dont dress femme, dont wear tight clothes, I hate the way thongs feel well i imagine i do, i think they'd probvably feel like an allday wedgie. I mostly wear V-neck long sleeve shirts that are either two or three sizes to large and the sleeves have to cover my hands and probably a pair of cargo pants, or maybe parachute pants, I'm in the current process of saving up for a few pairs of bell bottom type pants, and i usually wear sandals....i still do, its winter....my feet are cold. My shoes hurt my feet so i'm trying to get a new pair but i keep forgetting to go shopping for them after work. The only thing black that I currently own are two shirts, a few belts, and my sandals.

I had a point to all of that but then i started to ramble and when i start rambling i get bored and lose intrest in what i was saying which is what happened so itll probably come back to me later i think
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:Because then snakes wouldnt have armpits.
what the duces does that mean? Snakes don't have armpits.

Michael you're right, the deffinition of goth is different to each member of that clique, while a few cliques have a deffinate deffinition such as Bohemian since it is actually a true lifestyle that several artists follow.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:42 pm

don't use the word "clique" to describe goth....it's a style and feeling of expression, not a "clique"
Silence in Black and white

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:43 pm

I'm a bohemian.
All you need is love!