91%
I really dont know!
9%

Total votes: 11

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Goth

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 pm

I never pondered a thought on this but I was reading an articale about misconceptions about goths and the majority of the descriptions of what goth really means falls apoun my personanity. I never thought if I was goth or not but I guess if my personality fits into that, then perhaps I am.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:35 pm

i didn't vote....emo's like goth....but thats what most people say...its really not...so yeah....
Silence in Black and white

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:58 pm

Um, yeah, I'm a total prep. My closet is like stepping into American Eagle. And I don't like Rock...so, I'm as far from "goth" as you can get.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Me, too. I'm preppy, I like to get my clothes from Amercian Eagle, and I occasionally wear a Red Sox shirt or a hooded sweatershirt.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:37 pm

I like DRAB! :)

Actually, I'm a bargain shopper when it comes to clothes. If I can get 75-90% off in my size, you can bet that it'll be in my closet!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:14 pm

Theres no particular cloths that you have to wear to be goth. I got some of my clothes from AE too.

its all in the attitude.

Ususally I can tell if someones goth just by their attitude towards things. not their clothes.

For example a goth person would have an optomistic, openmind view towards life, usually a creative artistic mind. Have an in depth personality

Somebody who wheres black and makeup and depressed al the time is not a goth.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 pm

Oh, I was going more for the perception people have of goths. That you must get your clothes at Hot Topic and stuff.

Also, I thought goths has a more "life sucks" sort of view.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:10 pm

Me too, I thought they got their clothes from Hot Topic and wore mascara and read like a zillion vampire books.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:20 pm

I found this interesting:

Definitions of goth on the Web:

peasant: a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Goth is a modern subculture that first became popular during the early 1980s within the gothic rock scene, a sub-genre of post punk. It is associated with gothic tastes in music and clothing. Styles of dress range from gothic horror, punk, Victorian, fetish, cybergoth, androgyny, and/or lots of black. Since the mid-1990s, styles of music that can be heard in goth venues range from gothic rock, industrial, punk, metal, techno, 1980s dance music, and several others.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goth

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:16 pm

if you ask me there's no such thing thing as "Goth" anymore, way back in the dark ages and such there were many, hence the name of another era named the Gothick Era or something like that.

goths (what people say are goths anyway) are not optimistic, people who are optimists love life and always see the bright side.

Goths are pessimistic. looking at the bad side of thing.

Stereotypes have a certain personality that the person should fall in. The person also has to want to be of that group. Like my friend would fall in the prep stereotype, but she hates preps. I'm some what of an Emo, but then my artistic side also tosses me into the Bohemian* stereotype.

*Bohemian: the philosphy of life that you need to live for your art and for love, throwing materialistic things out the window.
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Goths are not pessimistic and do not look on the bad side. I dotn know where you pulled that out off.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:Goths are not pessimistic and do not look on the bad side. I dotn know where you pulled that out off.
I think that's the common perception. I think it's hard to picture someone in full-blown gothic attire who is actually a happy go-lucky, let-me-help-this-old-lady-across-the-street kind of person.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Michael wrote:
Cluedokid25 wrote:Goths are not pessimistic and do not look on the bad side. I dotn know where you pulled that out off.
I think that's the common perception. I think it's hard to picture someone in full-blown gothic attire who is actually a happy go-lucky, let-me-help-this-old-lady-across-the-street kind of person.

Well they arn't but they arent all sadistic, ;ike people tend to think they are.

Mouse go look up goth on google and find it under some dicticionary thing or something.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:03 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:15 pm

non of you are goth, so i wouldn't even try to understand it if i were you, it's a very deep thing, more than a certain personality or clothing style.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:23 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:non of you are goth, so i wouldn't even try to understand it if i were you, it's a very deep thing, more than a certain personality or clothing style.
I never said I was goth anyway. I just said the discription best fitted my personality.

Besides, I wouldnt act all fartish and tell people not to understand stuff. Thats not a good attitude.

And OVIOUSLY none of us are goth! Nobody voted "yes"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:45 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:non of you are goth, so i wouldn't even try to understand it if i were you, it's a very deep thing, more than a certain personality or clothing style.
You can't identify with a particular group if that "group" doesn't have readily identifiable traits. It seems contradictory.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:50 pm

i didn't say i do identify with it, but people do, and i from at one time being at that point in my life and still hanging out with people who still are, there are traits, but outsiders just don't get it...it's hard to explain, all i'm trying to say is, don't try to understand it :lol:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 pm

Are you trying to suggest that "Goth"s are living under some sort of higher level of conciousness that only they have the faculty to comprehend?

I honestly find such naivete' amusing.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:i didn't say i do identify with it, but people do, and i from at one time being at that point in my life and still hanging out with people who still are, there are traits, but outsiders just don't get it...it's hard to explain, all i'm trying to say is, don't try to understand it :lol:

outsiders? Were all human you know, [edit - they're] no better then any of us. I can understand perfectly when somebody is stuck up.