When a Stranger Calls

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

When a Stranger Calls

Post by Michael » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 pm

So I just got back from seeing this movie, and I LOVED it. It was wonderfully suspenseful and creepy. It's about a thousand times better than the original which I liked too. (I even tracked down "When a Stranger Calls Back" - the sequel).

Has anybody else seen it?

Also, there was a preview for the movie Pulse which looks SO scary! I can't wait!! It's been so long since I've found a movie even remotely scary...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:48 am

I wanna see it, but I gotta see the original first though...
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:20 pm

PrinceAzure33 wrote:I wanna see it, but I gotta see the original first though...

No you dont. Who said you had to see the original? Personally for me, I don't care what order a see things. Besides, sometimes the sequal is better than the original. Just cuse its old dosnt make it better. Desiyat Negrityat was much much better than Rene Clair's 1945 "and then there were none."

If people think the old version is better. The're just being Nostalgic.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Yes, but this is a remake.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:49 pm

Cluedokid25 wrote:If people think the old version is better. The're just being Nostalgic.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of movie remakes with superior original versions...
  • The Stepford Wives
  • The Pink Panther (I know the new one isn't out yet, but there's no way in *beep* Steve Martin will do this any justice)
  • Cheaper By the Dozen
  • The Phantom of the Opera (meaning the 1925 version is superior to the 1942 version, and also to the 1989 slasher version, though I like it only slightly more than the new musical version)
  • Psycho (possibly the best example on this list)
...to name a few.

And don't even get me started on all the TV shows that are vastly superior to their movie counterparts.

It's got nothing to do with 'nostalgia.' Different people just have different tastes.

Example: How many of us would jump for joy at a new Clue movie (that is actually a remake of the first one, just modernized and slightly altered) with Jessica Simpson as Scarlet, Steve Martin as Plum, and Queen Latifah as Mrs. White? Very few. But, those who would like it would just have a different taste than those of us who would hate it and have nervous breakdowns every time it was advertised.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:24 pm

Thats not what I meant. Ive seen many ideas where the original is a LOT better. But also Ive seen the odd new one where it is better than the original. So as I was saying, It dosnt matter which version you see first. even if it is a remake. Just just cuse its a remake means NOTHING, PrinceAzure.

THATS WHAT I MEANT!!

What I don't like is people who don't care about the new adaptations cuse "It will never compare to the orginal"

Anyway Im getting off topic.

P.S. Of course Psycho is a lot better than the remake, but there are other examples to show vice versa.

MrsWhiteinthestudy
Snoop

Post by MrsWhiteinthestudy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:35 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Cluedokid25 wrote:If people think the old version is better. The're just being Nostalgic.
Not necessarily. There are plenty of movie remakes with superior original versions...
  • The Stepford Wives
  • The Pink Panther (I know the new one isn't out yet, but there's no way in *beep* Steve Martin will do this any justice)
  • Cheaper By the Dozen
  • The Phantom of the Opera (meaning the 1925 version is superior to the 1942 version, and also to the 1989 slasher version, though I like it only slightly more than the new musical version)
...to name a few.

And don't even get me started on all the TV shows that are vastly superior to their movie counterparts.

It's got nothing to do with 'nostalgia.' Different people just have different tastes.

Example: How many of us would jump for joy at a new Clue movie (that is actually a remake of the first one, just modernized and slightly altered) with Jessica Simpson as Scarlet, Steve Martin as Plum, and Queen Latifah as Mrs. White? Very few. But, those who would like it would just have a different taste than those of us who would hate it and have nervous breakdowns every time it was advertised.
the remake stepford wives was better, the ending was like 500 x better

and whats wrong with a clue remake? I think its a good idea, plus, the publicity from the movie would raise interest in the game agian, prompting hasbo to react with new versions, etc.
Silence in Black and white

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:45 pm

A new clue movie would be fine, but a remake of the first one would be a horrid idea. New concept, new look, and new personalities would be great.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:40 pm

Yes, I know, but I like to see the original before the remake.

But I've never seen the Dukes of Hazzard and I've seen the remake, and it's totally different, same with Bewitched.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:02 pm

MrsWhiteinthestudy wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:
  • The Stepford Wives
  • Cheaper By the Dozen
...to name a few.

the remake stepford wives was better, the ending was like 500 x better

and whats wrong with a clue remake? I think its a good idea, plus, the publicity from the movie would raise interest in the game agian, prompting hasbo to react with new versions, etc.

I see nothing wrong with a new adaptaion of Clue. But they should change the story, find good actors and do it right.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:02 pm

I loved the Dukes of Hazaard show as a kid. I actually liked the movie too - even though I'm definitely in the minority! I also loved the show Bewitched, but HATED the movie. I don't think I even finished watching it...

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:20 pm

This is interesting. Many different opinions on remakes. Personally, I don't feel that a remake neccessarily degrades or takes away from the original, but I do find that most remakes are not as good as the originals. I personally want to remake "The Thin Man", and hopefully I will get the chance someday.

As for Queen Latifah as Mrs. White, I could see her more as Mrs. Peacock. Ever since I saw her in Chicago during her first dance number, I thought she could pull off the sultry black widow easily.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:04 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:This is interesting. Many different opinions on remakes. Personally, I don't feel that a remake neccessarily degrades or takes away from the original, but I do find that most remakes are not as good as the originals. I personally want to remake "The Thin Man", and hopefully I will get the chance someday.

As for Queen Latifah as Mrs. White, I could see her more as Mrs. Peacock. Ever since I saw her in Chicago during her first dance number, I thought she could pull off the sultry black widow easily.

I can't picture Latifah ten feet near Clue, she's just doesn;t give off the Clue feel.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Remakes

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:32 am

Nothing wrong with Steve Martin. I don't think it's him so much that would sink a remake of The Pink Panther. Kevin Kline is more likely to do that, in all honesty, but seriously, I think the biggest culprit will be the screenwriter. He's going to have some perfectly awful idea, and PC the blazes out of it. The original work was already pretty tame, in a lot of ways, and this one will be sterilized. No guts.

As for a Clue remake, I think it's unwise to go there, unless there's first a whole new angle or concept that would be worth filming.

To tell the truth, I'd like to film another edition of the Clue VCR game, or re-film the originals with my own cast.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Well, to clarify, The Pink Panther isn't a remake. It's more like a sequal, since it has nothing to do with the original.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Meh

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:53 pm

I understand the distinction, in part, but if a movie shares the exact same title, the same principal character with the same characteristics, and the plot reinvents not only the story of the movie with the same title, but the timeline of the character who featured in it, I consider that a sort of great big "RESET," rather than a sequel.

:idea: H'm. If Hollywood keeps reinventing wheels, like this, perhaps there will be a new category of movies ... sequel, remake, and reset.

:? H'm. Probably not.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:28 pm

Reset! What a perfect word!

I can think of few, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Poseidon

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:17 pm

i like to stick with the originals myself!
classic is better in my opinion!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:18 pm

I saw it on Wednesday, and I thought it was very scary. I personally don't enjoy scary movies very much, so I NEVER go see them in theatres, but my friends talked me into it, so I went. Fortunately, we were the only people in the theatre, so I could scream at the scream things like "Don't go in there!" While I thought the movie wasn't great, it certainly was scary and suspenseful.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Well, I'm glad that somebody agrees with me that it was pretty scary. I did, however, think it was a pretty good movie. I don't understand why it got such horrible reviews. I think reviewers just don't want to admit that they like something. It's so much easier to be standoffish and criticize others than admit you like something and chance being critcized yourself for your tastes.