Mancini Express Clue

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Which version of Snipsville Clue would you like to see?

Standard Edition
23%
Expanded Edition
77%

Total votes: 13

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Love it! It's an excellent portrayal! :o

Jay Beeskow
"Apparently, I'm most like Wadsworth."

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks. Who should I draw next? I think I'll try one more for today. George? Karl? Elsa? Have a preferance?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:35 pm

I pick Elsa. But only because she was Mrs. White... and, as we all know, I love Mrs. White.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Okay, Elsa it is. I should have her finished soon.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:17 pm

The final version of Mrs. Elsa Glover.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:58 pm

OMG!

That looks like Mrs. Bourne the drama teacher at my school! It's dead on!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 pm

With a face like that, how did Mrs. Bourne become Mrs. Bourne?

Sorry, was that harsh? I was joking, of course, but sometimes it hard to tell over these forums.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 am

Niteshade007 wrote:With a face like that, how did Mrs. Bourne become Mrs. Bourne?
I used a photograph for reference, and yes, Mrs. Glover looks very similar to this. This picture just ages her by 18 years. Now, you can say she looks like a man, her face is more masculine. And she really was a bitter schoolteacher. Horribly self centered and thoughtless. I had her for English the same year I had Mr. Brown for History and Mr. Sheetz for Science.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 pm

Okay, picking up where I left off...

The recipes are a work in progress, these pages coming out of the rulebook.
An idea I had that I just again started to work on; it takes place within a train car, follows the gameplay of the standard Clue, but deals with larger quantities. The game board would be this train car, and so eliminates dice and movement by tiles, but instead seems to require movement through adjacent rooms connected by doors. We'll see though, still working on it!
Last edited by Jay Beeskow on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:07 pm

Well I like it. It has a nice quirky theme to it. The food related crime reminds of the Clue Jr: The Case of the Missing Chocolate Cake as well as Vimto Cluedo.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:11 pm

To describe the characters...
Whose pictures still need touching up...
Lou
Louis Maberto Mancini is a gentle heart with a strong-willed soul; he's leading this investigation, and the usually peaceful and delighted person he is, is very tense and acting furious towards everyone except his wife Abbie. The whole cause of this mystery is obviously a great strain on his heart. Extremely devoted to his wife; he would do anything for her, and is showing now that he's absolutely merciless towards anyone who crosses her.

Abbie
Abbie is kind of the victim in this mystery, and that the other suspects insisted that she could have done it just as well herself upsets the relentless Lou further. So Abbie is considered a suspect by the others, as is Lou; but the two Mancinis don't feel much that they stole Abbie's buffet and hid it throughout the rear coach of the train. Abbie doesn't seem to have been affected as much as Lou by the whole thing, outside of perhaps feeling a bit sad in her heart, she's neutral to all the mystery.

Jon
Jon is the Conductor of the train; he's pretty laid back in his personality but in fact lives with a heart in severe emotional turmoil and uproars. He's what you could call a 'hopeless romantic'. Out of loneliness he's pursued and stayed attached to a dream of having the perfect relationship and marriage with a person he's barely been able to come in contact with in life. But he sticks too it, he goes by in life hating almost every day, but putting up with it all and being gracious to everyone for his one-day hopes of being married. Concerning the mystery, Jon doesn't seem that suspicious (if'd he'd quit making those suspicious faces), for it would seem out of character for him to work up the motivation to steal a buffet and hide it throughout a sleeper car; but all day he has claimed to have been in that very sleeper car supposedly going over paperwork in his compartment, but no one ever saw him to back up his story. He had the opportunity, but no motivation. He's in fact proving to be a more useful investigator than suspect.

Cal
Jon's pet raccoon; a sneak and a coward and someone who doesn't like to be alone. Cal takes great comfort in Jon, who has given him all the care of his heart since finding him fallen from a tree off his back porch. But anyway, Cal is always stealing food; it's like what he lives for. Cal having a strict diet of 'only eating what's bad for you' it could be quite likely for the mischevious yet apologetic raccoon to have snuck off with a course of odd food creations.

Dave
The train's engineer Dave is a somber sweet-maker. He lives on a tenant farm that he doesn't own and rents out the farmland to neighbors. Before being made the engineer of the Mancini Express, in which he tends to every last mechanical detail of the train's workings, he was a pastry chef at Mancini's Restaurant when it folded up, but before then he was a welder, riveter, and forger at the Sweet Locomotive Works where he built locomotives like the one he now drives. Dave is laid back and somewhat lazy. He lost his wife 6 years ago ago and is still affected by it. He has become a hollowed man of what he was, yet he still retains some of his quirks; such as baking pies in the boiler, stocking up on all the leftovers, and playing guitar while relaxedly and soley operating a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler locomotive. Dave switched jobs with Lou for the early morning shift and prepared breakfast for the train's passengers while Lou tended the boiler. Right after Abbie's brunch was put out the two switched off and Dave went back to the locomotive. But in the time while the two were in transit Dave was apparently stashing leftovers in his duffel bags; now Dave is usually a fan of heartier fare and has always been sympathetically encouraging towards Abbie about her cooking, so it would seem odd for him to actually be stockpiling her cooking. But regardless, Dave had the best opportunity and is under the most coincidentially suspicious looking circumstances.

Motierre
Charleton Marcel Motierre can easily be described as an 'elegant grump'. Early in life he was hopeful, fun, and carefree; looking to start a Manhattan restaurant with his mom. But his mom died before they could open the restaurant. So he did it himself and it was a failure, his carefree cooking scared off all the customers. Losing all of his family's money in that restaurant he and his two brothers for the first time separated. The French immigrants had been in America living successfully for years, but with the death of the brothers' parents, the family collapsed. Motierre's younger brother Ben joined the United States Navy. His older brother Gaston began fruit farming. Motierre joined a shipping line as a cook, but was fired when people found out how he cooked and the company dumped him off at Crystal Springs. In leaving the ship he took with him his wife, Grace. Who brought light to this drab Frenchman's life. The two settled in the town of Crystal Springs and bought a broken down old townhouse, fixed it up themselves and have since lived frugally and simply together. Grace is a housekeeper and lady's maid to the Phillips family. Motierre was hired as the Maître d' for Mancini's Restaurant when Lou took over and was forced out with the rest of the staff when the restaurant was shut down in 1886. He has since been assigned as the 'Post Office Clerk' for the Mancini Express. Alone he sorts the mail day after day and stiffly tends to the RPO car as its only inhabitant. Motierre has always been the harshest critic of Abbie's fare, being bold and blunt, plain and honest; he has never liked a dish she has made. But this is a guy with the most boring and serious diet around; grains and water, small portions. Although he has shown a vastly exquisite and cultured palatte coming from his upbrining in multi-cultural cuisine and restaurant training, but his own cooking is actually on the very same level of Abbie's. Motierre doesn't really have the motivation to steal and hide her food just to avoid eating it, or to upset her. His personality is so plain and clear-cut that he just wouldn't. But always being the harshest about it and just in being mysterious in personality make Motierre seem like a good bet- at first glance.

Mr. Green
A goof and a wiseguy Mr. Green can call out for no reason exclamations such as "Time!?", "Lights!", and "Volunteer!". He is a constant source of practical jokes and impractical jokes. He used to be one of the top chefs at the restaurant but has since become a baggage clerk for a train, and in his spare time, an 'oddball inventor of knucklehead contraptions'. Mr. Green always plays practical jokes for his own amusement with his own ideas that it amuses everyone else. This gentleman of 42 who lives with his mom is still sweet though, and while he's had a lot... a lot of bowel upsets from Abbie's cooking, he'd never hurt her feelings about it, but behind that he avoids her food at all costs, with several wise remarks. It would seem quite likely and a match of his personality to hide all the food, but Mr. Green wasn't seen by anyone all morning except Motierre, who claimed he had been 'toying with his rockets'.

Mr. Davis
Hearty and friendly, Mr. Davis is the train's bartender and was at one time the Head Waiter of Mancini's Restaurant. An old friend who's always been around Mr. Davis is a source of goodhearted entertainment and old stories. He's a man that takes great joy in his food. Never missing a meal, never skipping a course, always happy to taste. But Abbie's 'Drink this' really knocked his socks off and he's been terrified ever since of the samples she brings. He's a sweetheart, but out of fear it's suspected he could have sabotaged that buffet.

Julius
A 'man of many titles'; Sir Dr. Julius Fletcher Reed has been a shipbuilder, physician, psychologist, musician extraordinaire, writer, artist, architect, craftsman, and engineer, waiter, and now the train's bandsman, doctor, and porter. He is of small stature, his body being the same size as his head. But he's surely achieved well to make up for it, this bookish gentleman and immigrant of the Royal Empire has much a mystery behind him and doesn't leave many clues. He's the one taking this whole situation most lightly, Julius actually seems humored by it and looks at it with a detached, logical perspective. While no one on the train really knows much about him (or claims not to) he never provides much information and seems to skirt issues, leving this little guy in a low-hung cloud of mystery.
Last edited by Jay Beeskow on Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Well thank you, glad you like it, and that's nice of you to say. I'm happy to hear it has a quirky theme that's nice, that I like!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

The characters are quite remarkable realistic, with characterized appeal which doesn't detract at all. You've always had a great style when it comes to people. Will they all be coloured eventually? It seem strange for only some to be b/w and some to be coloured.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:03 pm

GREAT WORK!

Where ya been?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:21 pm

Wholly cow, well thanks Michael! I have been off growing and don't have as much interest in the computer as I used to, but I've still been working at "Snipsville" which I guess is now under the name "Mancini Express" and the town of Snipsville, that's now Crystal Springs.
But CluedoKid, thank you. Your description and reaction to these characters is quite flattering and interesting to read. Thank you very much for your comments and encouragement. These picture I posted of them probably will never make it to the game though, they are all just things I've drawn over the past... two years and the ones I chose to add were just my favorites of the particular people. They best captured their spirits. But for the final game they will be in color, yes!

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:38 pm

This goes back to November of 2007 I think; the present version is still in progress, but here's something entertaining showing what I was thinking of about a year and a half ago. Also I updated the little description above.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Detective Notes;

With updated character descriptions and the final portraits of Lou, Dave, Motierre, and Mr. Davis above Image
Last edited by Jay Beeskow on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:32 pm

Jay Beeskow

Post by Jay Beeskow » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:36 pm

This is getting ridiculous! I've revamped the premise again. After seeing the end credits of the movie Clue and once again hearing 'Shake, Rattle, and Roll' it seems I've got the idea to reconstruct the whole project again. I think this will be my third version of Clue I've made (and actually constructed), but like the fifth re-iteration of the third idea. I keep changing the format before I'm getting anything done. But this time I think I may settle on this. I'd like to focus on what the original Clue was and not go so far from the source. The movie seems to be a big inspiration, particularly concerning the characters. I'll have to reflect on the idea much to get it settled, but I've got a direction to work in. "If you gotta' make Clue out of your own heart. How would it be? What is 'your Clue'?"
Right now, I don't have much to show. But who's interested in this anyway?!
Once I've gotten through the top few projects I've got going for the eleven-year-old I look to so much, I can get started on fleshing out these.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll cook up this time!