Top 10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage Is Wrong.

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:23 am

And we don't banish women who're menstral outside of town for a week.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:19 pm

PeachFreak wrote: I was raised Catholic. However, I probably only am Catholic in title, and not so much in practice. I do support gay marriage fully. I understand why some people feel it's morally wrong, but I don't think it should interfere with the law.
I don't quite get why it would be morally wrong to most people. I understand why, say, abortion would be morally wrong to most people, but why gay marriage? It's no different than allowing people of different races to marry, or even different religions to marry. My parents are each of a different religion, yet their union is not looked down upon by anyone since we're not living in the Medieval ages anymore. Heck, I wasn't raised very religiously at all aside from the odd VeggieTales episode and junior Bible story, so the way strict forms of Judaism and Christianity worked never really made that much sense to me.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Well, according to my family....

Once you're married, you're supposed to have sex to finalize it. The Church frowns upon gay sex because of Leviticus. (Man shall not lay with man for it is an abomination. Furthermore, this sex is frowned upon because it can't create children.) Thus, it can't possibly be a real marriage if they can't consummate it, because it would be a "sin" to do so. (Yeah...doesn't make much sense to me either.)
Last edited by PeachFreak on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 pm

But Leviticus frowns upon gay rape not marriage. Marriage wasn't a sacrament until later. The Church frowned upon all sex (even in marriage) for two generations. The most dominate Christian religion (there were thousands, the Catholics just overtook majority of them and made themselves the primary one) thought sex in all regards to be a sin until they realized they would have to convert people every generation. It was just plain easier to produce babies and convince them to be Christians than to convert adults.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Well, sure, but I'm talking about the modern warping of the meaning of Leviticus in respect to modern marriage.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 pm

kova wrote: The Church frowned upon all sex (even in marriage) for two generations.
Hold it: Weren't there any children born sometime during that time period? (Which period was it, btw?) If so, not everyone practiced what they preached, did they.

And gang rape in general is a sin since it leaves the victim emotionally traumatized, but while there are a variety of motives for rape, sexual preference is not one of them; here's a bit of dialogue from The Shawshank Redemption that makes my point nicely:

Red: And wait till you meet the Sisters; they're going to adore you.
Andy: I don't suppose it would help to tell them I'm not homosexual?
Red: Neither are they. They'd have to be human to be that way. And they don't qualify.

I guess the reproduction argument makes some sense, but still not a whole lot.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 am

See, the whole "reproduction" argument is actually an oversimplification of several doctrines. It's not as simple as "you can't make children".
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:32 am

EDIT. I'd rather not get involved.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:10 pm

This is one dominate sect that kept converting people from a smaller sect of Christians in the first generations. They saw their numbers decreasing and changed their minds. "Miracle" children (aka father raped the mother or they didn't want to admit they had sex... especially pre-marital.) were born in this period. It was suppose to mimic Jesus' birth. You are not suppose to have sex period. As God's new chosen people, you were not suppose to have sex at all. Angels would pregnant you like he "did to Mary. It's not that you can't make children, it's that you can't have sex to do it. Adopting orphans was also acceptable.

And remember Christianity was an underground movement until Constantine came to power in the Roman Empire. They were stoned, beaten, ect. until one guy was able to convert the Roman Emperor to Christianity (with something like if you win this battle you are suppose to win, God did it and you should convert). The religion of course spread like an Internet phenomena.

Well I should make my self clear. Leviticus is frowning up all rape. It's just that gay rape (which is acceptable in both the Greek and Roman cultures) was used as the example. Shawshank Redemption of course was written in a post-Victorian culture. What is acceptable changes over time. We would think Lincoln's letters meant that he was gay, but by the standards of the time it's okay. Most people would never use those words to express friendship and love for a friend today. People shared beds. Think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The grandparents share a bed.

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage Is Wrong.

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:10 pm

This is the ironic thread ever if you know CluedoKid now...
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:55 am

I totally ship Mr Green and Prof Plum

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:38 am

I know it was a different era (and set within a different era again) but it would have been great if Mr Green at the end of the Clue movie had said he was going to go home and sleep with his husband, keeping him actually being gay.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:45 pm

coinilius wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:38 am
I know it was a different era (and set within a different era again) but it would have been great if Mr Green at the end of the Clue movie had said he was going to go home and sleep with his husband, keeping him actually being gay.
Detective Amarillo uses that same line Mr Green said in the movie. In the comic while taking Green into custody she mentions she’s going to go home and sleep with her wife.