Murder On The Orient Express 2017 Movie

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

NotJim
Suspect

Post by NotJim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:34 am

PeachFreak wrote:the "Death on the Nile" mentioned at the end of the film is the one from the Parker Pyne short story and Poirot stumbles on the end of it before getting wrapped up in the events of the full-length novel
I like that thought :)

I haven't seen MOTOE but They borrowed the name of Pilar (from Hercule Poirot's Christmas) so maybe there'll be more nods to other AC works?

lazerboy
Suspect

Post by lazerboy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Excellent version of a classic story with Ken Brannagh doing a great turn as Poirot and as director .
He brings the usual quirkiness to the role as well as added nuance,depth and physicality which is welcome.
The rest of the actors do good work as well. I want to see again :D https://www2.1movies.se/

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Snoop

Re: Murder On The Orient Express 2017 Movie

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 pm

It was an enjoyable film. I think only thing I thought was cheesy was they "last supper" imagery with the suspects.

lidiot
Suspect

Post by lidiot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 am

I still haven't seen the film in full.

I've seen bits of it on YouTube in a "Everything Wrong..." video and based on what I saw it looked messy and unappealing.

Also I'm still not sold on Branagh playing Poirot.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:17 pm

lidiot wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 am

Also I'm still not sold on Branagh playing Poirot.
Honestly, I was too.
In the first chunk of the movie though he won me over. I was like "oh, ok. This is silly and it's not an awful interpretation of the character." I was totally willing to let things slide
BUT THEN MY FRIEND, F*$#ING THEN...
after Rachette dies Boque says, "All you have to do is sit back and think, like you say." (or something along those lines.) To which Branagh shouts, literally shouts in anger, "Is that all you think I do!? That is not all I do! It is so much more than sitting back and thinking." I'm 100% taking liberties with the line, but Branagh does angrily insist that Poirot doesn't just sit back in a chair and think and THAT is where he lost me. After all, Poirot says, in almost EVERY book, that that is what he does and that is all he needs to do.
Honestly, the film holds its own right up until Rachette dies, after that is when that unstable house of cards that is Branagh's interpretation of the book starts to collapse in on itself.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!