New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition with Card Revealing Mirror

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition with Card Revealing Mirror

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:35 pm
Got mine today & finally had a chance to sit down & look at it.

To start, here’s the extent of the “damage” that saved me about $6:

So I think I’ll keep it, lol.

So the box looks pretty nice in person. I still think it looks like a lazy Photoshop job, but I can appreciate the callbacks to the ‘72-‘92 tableaux. Looking closely, Plum, Mustard, and Scarlett are slightly tweaked in their facial expressions/sight lines. I’m also pleased the box is still pretty thin, as I never did enjoy holding/storing the fat boxes Hasbro embraced in the late ‘90s/early 2000s.

Opening the box (after carefully slicing the 4 pieces of tape holding it shut), we’re greeted with this:

And after unpacking some pieces:

So what we’ve got is very similar to how Hasbro has been packing a lot of games in recent years. The big gimmick game piece & a selection of additional pieces fit into a tray. But the board/cards/etc?

Under the insert. Sadly, the insert is too tall to leave any space at the top, so even the board has to be stored below. I’d have been happier with a smaller insert if it meant a bigger tray to also hold the cards, but no.

The mirror is fun to play with, and is much bigger than I’d have imagined it to be (even though I knew it would have to be big enough to hold 3 cards vertically).
Tokens included for scale. It’s also a very solid chunk of plastic. No film here: a hard plastic top layer guards the lights & internal mirrored layer from sticky fingers & scratching. So that’s a point in its favor.

Sadly there is nothing in the game’s text to explain WHY the solution is housed inside a seemingly magic mirror. The only changes to the rules book are the description of putting the cards into the mirror, and the back cover now being dedicated to all the regulatory text required for toys with batteries.
Image Image

So is it worth $19.99 + tax/shipping? No, definitely not. I can understand those prices for the electronic banking Monopoly games, but this is a product which should only be retailing for $15 or less. The box states, "Made in USA with card-revealing mirror, character tokens, miniature weapons, and dice made in China." So ... the paper bits are made domestically. Maybe that’s part of the price hike? More imported components this time around?

Was it worth $15 and some change for a “damaged” box, with free shipping? Yeah, I’m pleased with it. It could be just enough of a gimmick to easily draw in new/younger players (without going to the extremes of the reinvention era).

Pros:
Character tokens
Box design/scale
A rudimentary tray is included for storage

Cons:
No good way to store the cards under the insert
The MSRP is way too high for what this is

Neutral:
The mirror is competent & seems well made. It’s just not fully integrated into the narrative of the game, making it feel like another half-baked idea from a stoned Hasbro exec (much like the C.L.U.E. Houses idea that went absolutely nowhere). It should do its job this holiday season, though, and attract plenty of attention from younger potential players eager to demo it on the shelf.

Huh.

So how do you imagine you’ll actually make the reveal to other players using the mirror, now that you have it in hand?

What are you going to do with the mirror demo vignette cards?

I don’t know about you, but the back of that mirror is not at all how I imagined it would look. It seems unnecessarily complicated to insert the cards, along with unecessary wear and tear on them. Do the cards stay in place when the mirror is turned upside Down? Could you use cards from another edition and flip them for the reveal?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Revealing the solution to other players is as simple as turning the mirror towards them & holding down the button so it lights up.

I can’t figure why the mirror seems so complex to you, though. It has 3 slots for 3 cards. Insert them in the order shown (the back has icons for Suspect, Weapon, and Room. It can’t be messed up). Boom, done. The back is designed to leave enough of the top of the card exposed to slide the cards out easily at the end of a game.

Yes, the cards are held in tight. They cannot fall out of the mirror is inverted. Could you use cards from past editions? Sure, if you’re bored & wanted to figure out the best way to stick them in for the reveal. Thicker cards, however, probably won’t fit.

The instructions say to dispose of the demo cards from the mirror. Personally I like the demo art, so I’m gonna keep them in the mirror between games. Some visual interest between games instead of the empty guts of the mirror.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:26 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm
Revealing the solution to other players is as simple as turning the mirror towards them & holding down the button so it lights up.

I can’t figure why the mirror seems so complex to you, though. It has 3 slots for 3 cards. Insert them in the order shown (the back has icons for Suspect, Weapon, and Room. It can’t be messed up). Boom, done. The back is designed to leave enough of the top of the card exposed to slide the cards out easily at the end of a game.

Yes, the cards are held in tight. They cannot fall out of the mirror is inverted. Could you use cards from past editions? Sure, if you’re bored & wanted to figure out the best way to stick them in for the reveal. Thicker cards, however, probably won’t fit.

The instructions say to dispose of the demo cards from the mirror. Personally I like the demo art, so I’m gonna keep them in the mirror between games. Some visual interest between games instead of the empty guts of the mirror.
The mirror seems unnecessarily complicated and awkward for what it does, and the purpose it serves. That’s all.

I’m not a fan of the mirror. Seems pointlessly fiddly, for no substantive contribution to the game. It really doesn’t even seem fun.

From your description it seems likely the cards are going to get damaged over time. As for getting inserted into the mirror, again, it’s a lot of work for what seems to be a silly gimmick, the effect of which I’d expect to wear off quickly. And while seemingly easy, people are going to make mistakes and mess this up.

I’ll be curious to see how your experience is using it during an actual game. You describe it as simple, and I agree it definitely is, but in practice it’ll be interesting to see the impact it has on the other players, and whether they find it to be worth the trouble after the first game or two.

Personally I see only very young players finding this interesting for very long. An App-based solution would have probably been a lot more interesting, and easier to use ... scan three cards without having to keep track of them, and press the reveal button at the end. There’s no family that does not have a phone or tablet for the kids to play a game with.

If this were 1977, I’d say this would have been a must have game accessory. In 2018 ... it’s kinda silly.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: beeg

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 am

(QUOTED SPAM POST REMOVED)

I am absolutely stunned by the words in this spam post that made it through the filters of this forum software, considering the innocent words it normally blocks from us.

Feel free to delete this post when deleting the spam ...

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 am

I'm doing the best I can... I end up chucking spammers 5 or 6 times a day here. It's a stop-gap solution but gow it's annoying. There has to be a better way to block them...

(dreams up a Cluedo-themed security game)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Well to get us back on topic ... I wonder if they're going to release this edition under the Cluedo brand? It hasn't turned up in any online searches yet, and the Cluedo game already has the nicer box and suspect figurines. They wouldn't really need the new artwork unless they add the mirror. Certainly Cluedo never got the two-sided board version of the 2013 edition, so maybe this is entirely a marketing gimmick for North America where we tend to have more dollars than sense ...

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:34 pm

My best guess at this point is that this will be marketed as a “deluxe” alternative to the small box edition, much like how Monopoly and Monopoly Electronic Banking are sold alongside each other in lieu of one replacing the other. And entirely for the reason you brought up: American consumers love this kind of nonsense. I couldn’t see this making any kind of impact in the UK market, especially since (aside from the mirror) it’s nearly identical to the edition they’ve already had for years.

As for gameplay, I’ve managed to squeeze in a few rounds with this new one to see how, if at all, the mirror affects the overall impact of the game.

First game was with a couple of players who know Clue as I do. They thought the mirror a nifty gimmick, but were actually disappointed it only lit up. They were expecting a sound effect.

Second game included a friend who’d never played Clue in his life. He loved the mirror, and opined that it seemed much more interesting than just pulling cards out of an envelope (naturally I’d given him a primer before the game as to why the mirror was new & strange).

In both games, though, the one consistency was the mere presence of the mirror. During the game, it simply looms over the board, like a weird monolith. It’s much more prevalent than an envelope lying flat on the board, and in a way (with the right mindset & fellow players) it adds a kind of urgency to the proceedings.

The real fun comes with the final reveal. If you’re making the correct accusation, you can certainly have a bit of fun hamming it up turning the mirror around & pressing the button for everyone else to see. Again, that sort of flair is gonna depend entirely upon who’s playing.

I do appreciate that by having the mirror standing tall at the sidelines, it leaves the staircase open as a viable spot to put the bonus Clue Cards if one chooses to use them. It’s a clear cut, accessible spot for the deck, compared to leaving it by one side of the board where one or more players may not be able to reach it so easily.

My biggest issues are still the fact that the mirror isn’t integrated into the narrative of the game at all, and how the card artwork has been cropped for this edition. Sure, an envelope containing the solution (be it a case file or simply an envelope) doesn’t fit into the narrative of previous editions, but the mirror is such a drastic change it should have been given some more attention. The weapons artwork suffers least here: most of the images slightly overlap the white text box, creating a pseudo 3D effect. The suspects are so cropped they’ve all lost their color accents (Mrs. Peacock might as well be nude given how they’ve cropped her), and the rooms are just a cluttered, cropped overhead view. The suspect & room art should have been shrunk/zoomed out to fit more on the card if this was their best option for creating a uniform solution reveal.

I agree that some kind of digital enhancements (as we’ve seen in Detetive) would have been a better route. On the other hand, Hasbro has an abysmal track record with their own in-house app development (hence the excellent outsourcing to Marmalade for so many years), so maybe we’re actually very lucky they’ve not taken that route.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am

Just so y'all know, this edition is currently on sale on Amazon for $10!

Happy Cyber Monday! :D
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm

cluedoking123 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am

Ugh. With Free shipping!? Now I may have to buy it :(

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm
cluedoking123 wrote:

Haha, doo it! I’m kicking myself a bit for not waiting a little longer & saving another $5. $10 is definitely a much more sensible price for this edition compared to the $20 MSRP.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:57 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 pm
cluedoking123 wrote:

Haha, doo it! I’m kicking myself a bit for not waiting a little longer & saving another $5. $10 is definitely a much more sensible price for this edition compared to the $20 MSRP.
Well, I got it. I feel so dirty.

And they’ve been selling it at that price the entire week. I’m curious to see how long this lasts. $10 USD is the only way this game makes sense for most. That said, let’s not forget I happily spent $18 USD on the same Cluedo game in Australia without the mirror, albeit with a dozen more cards.

I can’t belive how heavy the box is with the mirror. And it’s weird not to be wrapped in plastic. There were some scuffs on the box which is inevitable without any protection. And the plastic mirror already has some micro scratches, and smudgy fingerprints from some handler. I can’t believe they at least didn’t put a protective plastic film over the opening to protect such a delicate surface. Anyway, a hint of wear to come. It’s going to be impossible to keep that surface pristine over the average handling of a family game.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 am

Not that I need to buy another copy of this, but has anyone else found this new edition in their local shops? I’ve only seen it on Amazon — none of my local big box & department stores are carrying anything except Clue Jr and a handful of copies of the square box edition (and my Target isn’t even keeping that one stocked. They’re focused on the 1986 retro edition & their exclusive Rustic edition this season). I know online sales are more popular than ever, but it seems really dumb to not have this edition in a wide release in the midst of the Christmas/holiday shopping season.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 am
Not that I need to buy another copy of this, but has anyone else found this new edition in their local shops?
I have not, and I have been actively looking for it. Yesterday I visited Walmart, Target and Books-a-Million (the only sources in my neck of the woods) and had no luck.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 am

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am
alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 am
Not that I need to buy another copy of this, but has anyone else found this new edition in their local shops?
I have not, and I have been actively looking for it. Yesterday I visited Walmart, Target and Books-a-Million (the only sources in my neck of the woods) and had no luck.
Try visiting Hasbro's store
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:23 pm

Here is an analysis of which editions work with the mirror. These are the cards from the main editions of Clue. For the sake of consistency's it combination is Mr. Green in the Ballroom with the Candlestick. Each set had a picture taken with the cards entered in properly and upside down. As it turns out taking pictures of a mirror is a bit challenging, so mind the low quality. Some card sets worked better than others.

Orchid-Image

1956-Image

1963-Image

1972-Image

1986-Image

1992-Image

1996- Image

2002-Image

Master Detective-Image

For the most part the cards and the mirror work pretty well together, however you probably have to put them in upside down. The top of the first card partly shows out of the mirror so 1963 and 2002 are out. Next 1986, 1992, and 1996's rooms and weapons are hard to see at first glance. 1972's cards only show the picture, which provides a wonderful abstract experience. However it would only work with more experienced players. Finally, when the Master Detective's cards are upside down, only the word blurbs are shown which is a clever twist. In the end, the mirror works well as an actual mirror and does not show the cards when not in play. This can be used in any play to spice it up a little

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 am

Nice!

I’m sure this has been done, but could you do a pic of these tokens next to the 2003 for size comparison?

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Nice work Sir Shamrock!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Elrond wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:00 am
Nice!

I’m sure this has been done, but could you do a pic of these tokens next to the 2003 for size comparison?
Oddly nothing immediately pops up on a google search. I did do a size comparison between the new ones and the new Clue Jr. ones.

Unfortunately my 2002 game is packed away, so I can't do a quick compare. But I'll add this to my list of projects, not just 2002 but the UK 2000 game, Passport, et al.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Gosh the Clue Jrs look spooky... I'm amused by Green's "air guitar" pose!

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 pm

BBP wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Nice work Sir Shamrock!
Thanks BBP!

When comparing the 2002 figures with the Orchid figures, they're pretty similar. The newer ones are a little smaller.

As much as I don't like the idea of Dr. Orchid, her pose might be the best of the new ones

On the topic of pawns through the years, here all the usual suspects

And here's the different colors of the different pawns