Parker Brother's Mystery Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ClueLover98
Gumshoe

Post by ClueLover98 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Why does it have to be Miss Azul? Why not Señorita Azul?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:01 am

They are going too far with the name titles. I can’t imagine this group of people together.

I did an unboxing video: https://youtu.be/hsT_0bdMedI
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:53 am

Nice review. But why Michael!?

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY!!!???

It’s not like Hasbro owes a license fee or royalties to anybody for the Clue characters or name. And as you point out, it’s really a savings of $2-5 off the “real� game. And it’s not like they haven’t put out cheap travel or Jr. versions of the Clue game before (which this essentially is). In fact it seems very similar to this one: http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5163

So what’s this about? Are they trying to keep Clue as a premium brand, but release something cheaper to compete with foreign knockoffs? Is there some millennial/hipster backlash against the Clue brand?

And if they are trying to somehow position the Clue brand as a higher value item, the only real difference here (based on Hasbro stumbles over the past decade) are the character names — so are the Clue characters really worth a premium in customers minds? Hasbro might just end up fragmenting their gaming community into fans of Mystery game, and Sir Ube!! I mean it’s not like a generic brand name like Clue is that much more unique than Mystery! It’s funny, these character names could easily be foreign translations for local markets based on what we’ve seen with Clue.

I just really don’t get this at all. If Hasbro doubles down on this, you may have to create a Mystery Game section on your new website! ;-)

What I do find interesting is that the rules play like any Clue game, except, there are only 4 players, who do not double as suspects; and they have therefore gone to the extra expensive to have six suspect “token� cards. Obviously, with the addition of two more tokens, this plays exactly like a normal Clue game, and the players can easily agree to the existence of secret passages as well.

And I agree to make it fair, the red player should start one circle up to make the starting distance to the closest room equal. The two additional players could start just one circle off the existing track in the unused hallways, rather than two like the red player.

EDIT — I do see one reason that would account for the inequality of the red player starting position. The other players may be able to get to a room in 3 spaces compared to the 4 for the red, but they all have 5 spaces to the closest room after that, whereas the red player has 4 to the next room. Also, since room access is restricted by the path, some players have more rooms they can access in quick succession over shorter distances than others, as does the red player. In some cases, another player might skip the closest room in order to access more rooms quicker. Having only one die makes that a strategy again.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Do kids really play board games anymore? Parents may be tired of buying games that get played with a couple times and then never again. I suppose this is a perfect throw away sort of game at a price point that’s easier to not care about.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Michael wrote:Do kids really play board games anymore? Parents may be tired of buying games that get played with a couple times and then never again. I suppose this is a perfect throw away sort of game at a price point that’s easier to not care about.
Yes, I agree. But why go to the effort to reinvent a well known brand? What harm does it do exactly to put the name Clue, and use the well known Clue suspect names on a cheaper version? Do they really think that people will prefer to drive to another store and spend a few dollars more to buy the version that actually has Miss Scarlett in it? And to the extent they are going to do this ... how about making it just $3 then?

Anyway, I stopped by BigLots this morning based on your post and picked up a copy. Man is it flimsy. It couldn't cost but a few pennies per board to make. While I was there I noticed that Hasbro has an entire line of Parker Brothers $5 discount knock-off games.

What I noticed is right next to them, they had a Hasbro Marvel-themed Trouble game edition for only $10. So for an extra $5, what kid isn't going to want a Marvel recognizable brand name game, with little action figures, over a generic knock off made out of cheap paper?

And as long as I'm on my rant .. I also picked up a REAL Hasbro knock off of "Don't Break The Ice", for only $6 ($15 for the Hasbro version at Target). Both are high quality plastic games, with a cute penguin figure, though I'm sure the knock off is lower quality. That said, If Hasbro's gonna charge similar prices, how about stepping up the quality a bit? $5 is still a lot to pay for a game that probably won't last a week.

The ONLY thing I can think is, since the patent on Cluedo long ago expired, anyone can make a Clue-style game, so long as they don't infringe on Hasbro's copyrights and trademarks -- the weapon design, the character names and descriptions, the room names, the specific mansion layout. There's a reason why they've settled into the iconic weapons, and that weird mansion outline. So Hasbro is trying to beat them to it and make an affordable knock-off that will be hard for any other counterfeit game makers to compete with, without infringing Hasbro's rights. They'd have to make a sub $5 game, with similarly slick graphics (I have no doubt Sir Ube, and the others were actual prototypes for the real Clue characters, as well as the board -- prob. a Clue Jr. design -- and maybe even the weapons), and they would have to offer something even more compelling like plastic figurines, etc. to chose a no-name game over well-known brands. So it’s not likely to work. But still, why not just sell Clue itself in this cheaper manufactured format?

EDIT: I just looked at the board and I have to say, the board and cards of of much higher quality cardboard and card stock than I was expecting. It’s actually nicer than the regular game construction. Of course there’s a lot less of it. The lack of sufficient supply of note papers is sad. Basically it’s limited to just 20 games (if keeping track of all 4 players — 80 if not), so the parents better make a few copies before the kids start playing. Also, I realized that if the plastic tokens had little tabs, the suspect “token� cards could be inserted to stand upright, and that’s probably what they should have done, except they took the Clue Jr. approach to this game.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm so glad this thread exists, lol. I found this game this past Sunday, right before leaving for a vacation & haven't been able to take photos.

Months ago, I found the "No Apologies" game at a shop & had a giggle imagining what's Hasbro's discount version of Clue might look like. Imagine my shock & amusement when it became a reality!

It's not too horribly made, for what it is. I was disappointed to find so few, travel sized note sheets, and that they took out the secret passages. But it's obvious this line of Parker Brothers branded games are meant to serve a very specific shopper: families without much disposable income for toys, classrooms/daycare centers where toys & games go to die anyway, and people shopping for cheap toys to donate around the holidays & such.

I just think reviving the Parker brand in this way is really shitty of Hasbro. Hasbro is already the dollar store of the games publishers, and I'm not too young to not remember Parker Brothers meaning quality.

But Hasbro owns it. So they can, and will, do what they want.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:00 am

Once again Hasbro spits in the face of Parker Brothers

How am I not surprised :roll:

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:04 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote: It's not too horribly made, for what it is. I was disappointed to find so few, travel sized note sheets, and that they took out the secret passages. But it's obvious this line of Parker Brothers branded games are meant to serve a very specific shopper: families without much disposable income for toys, classrooms/daycare centers where toys & games go to die anyway, and people shopping for cheap toys to donate around the holidays & such.
I wondered where you've been!

I don't disagree that Hasbro has the target audience in mind that you suggest. However, it's not like they haven't released inexpensive travel games before under the Clue brand name. Copies of Clue Grab & Go can be found for as little as $5 from some retailers, in roughly the exact same size format, albeit with a built-in plastic carrying case. What gets me here is that the box is the exact same size as the Clue brand box, but without the insert to keep everything from sliding around.

It's priced only a few dollars less than the Clue-branded game (it's on sale for $8.77 at Walmart now). So given the substantial size difference from the standard edition and this one (for which one would expect to pay less), what's with the completely different characters? Aside from the box itself, the board and cards are actually high quality, and certainly something I would expect to see with the Clue brand name. It looks like a Clue game, right down to the red outlined rooms. The standard edition in some ways actually feels cheaper. So again -- what's with the new character, and brand names, when the quality is otherwise there, and its a significantly smaller construction?

I have to give it to them, "Mystery game" is a clever play on their current Brand trademark -- Clue The Classic Mystery Game. Indeed when I google "Mystery Game", the standard Clue games pop up. But again I'm confused as to why. It does prevent a knock-off maker from using that name though.

The "Mystery" notes are printed on extremely cheap paper, and seems an unnecessary skimp, even for a cheap budget edition. But they are easily photo copied, and they include enough for up to 80 games -- which is a lot I would think by today's board game playing standards -- how many come with a standard edition anyway? The secret passages are really not even necessary. Anyone who knows how to play Clue already, can merely play as if the corner rooms are shortcuts as they always have been without the reminder being printed on the board.

The board is a combination of the Travel game size and the Clue Jr. format:

ImageImage

But that still doesn't seem like a reason to drop the Clue brand name. Indeed, some of the standard travel editions have likewise had limited spaces around the miniature boards. I actually like the reduced travel spaces, and going back to a single die. The average numbers of spaces between rooms is about 5, so it can be challenging.

I'm not sure why they felt compelled to limit the game to 4 players, so I'm going to add the extra two in a game and see how they play in this format. I also don't understand why they decided to eliminate the players as suspects, though I guess it prevents players being moved around the board during suggestions -- but I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing either. I would also be curious to see how this format would play if you weren't able to pass another player on the board, as they could effectively block as a strategy. Then again with 6 players it could be a real problem, and slow play significantly.

My intent is to see if I can use the suspect tokens as player tokens with the Clue Jr. bases. If so, I may pick up another one of these games for $5, and create a proper Clue travel game out of it!

EDIT:

It works out pretty well. The Clue Jr. bases are a little too big, but not so big that they won’t work. In practice, it could get crowded in some of those rooms, if there’s more than one suspect being accused. I’ll probably look for some other plastic bases in the colors I need, maybe from the USAopoly editions which use this approach for their pawns. Next I just need to print up some starting circles for the extra players as I've mocked up below. I'm taking the position that I don't need any actual indication that the corners are secret passages, but those would be easy to add as well.

With this layout, all six players have 3 spaces to their first room, except Mme. Rubie, who has 4. However, Rubie only has 3-4 spaces to her next room, while all the others have a minimum of 5 from their first closet room. So this all works out. Indeed, if anybody is getting short changed here, it's Mr. Pine who due to the marked path limitations, only has two rooms available within reach of one die roll, wheres the remaining five, all have 3 rooms.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:23 pm

I see another problem with the board -- they got the Kitchen and Sitting Room reversed, not just the name, but the room shapes and designs. If you look, the Dining Room fixes a long standing problem by having a door across from where the Kitchen should be for server access. If the kitchen is lifted and inserted in the proper orientation above the dining room, the doors align with some slight adjustment. And likewise, if the Sitting Room is rotated in the correct position, it's door aligns with the hallway. They've clearly designed this to mirror an actual Clue game layout and got the room artwork wrong.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spare Room started life as a Bathroom.

The top two hallways they appear to have gotten the artwork wrong, and the hallway between the Theatre Room and Garden Room should be the same length as all the rest, since there's no reason for that particular hallway to be extra long.

I think I would have put the bar in front of the window in the Theatre Room, and put the chairs and screen on opposite walls. The Game Room is too crammed full of stuff, and I’d prefer something other than two bedrooms, or at least replace the second one with something else. But otherwise, this is really a lovely designed mansion in many ways. I’d say one of their best. It why aren’t the magnifying glasses in all the spaces oriented in the same direction?

Isn't it interesting that Hasbro re-used at least one name assigned to an actual Clue character -- "Rose"? Kind of interesting that they took great pains to distance themselves from Clue, and miss that one. They've changed all the room names except Kitchen and Dining Room which are arguably the most generic there is. And they've likewise adjusted the weapons, except for the Wrench and Revolver. The Revoler is pretty generic, but I am surprised they didn't call it a Pistol. But the Wrench, while likewise being pretty generic, is also one of the most identifiable Clue weapons. And it's interesting they didn't have an analogy for the rope instead, like Piano Wire, or Curtain Tie, or heck, even a Kneck-Tie, or Scarf.

So there's at least one direct tie-in to Clue in each of the 3 groups names.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:38 pm

I convinced someone to play this with me tonight. We added the 2 player card dealing rule from the current edition of Clue, because without a kind of ghost hand there is no satisfying tension to 2 player Clue.

Would you believe this took slightly longer to finish than a game of real Clue? Turns out rolling anything less than a 4 is often useless. Even defining the walls of the rooms is useless since you can't make a suggestion without actually landing on the magnifying glass within a room. The cardboard suspect and weapons markers make the small board very crowded VERY quickly. I actually think this would play better without the visual aids of moving tokens around the house.

It's the trail of dots that really drags the game out in play time. Logical movement is sometimes impeded by not having a connection to the next dot you want to move to, most annoyingly when trying to enter or exit the Dining Room. Two doors, very clearly marked, but only one is a usable entrance/exit according to the dots.

This would have been better if it did away with spaces & instead allowed players to move 1 - 3 rooms away from their starting room, perhaps by rolling a custom die with only 1, 2, and 3 pips on its 6 sides.

The box predicts 45 minutes to play the game. I'm certain my 2 player game took a solid half hour, and can easily see how 3-4 players could spend up to an hour around this board.

I may grab a couple more of these sets to butcher into a custom travel/fast play game. But playing it as it's built was a drag.

For the curious: it was Miss Azul with the Wrench in the Master Bedroom.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 pm

And regarding the pricing of this game: the MSRP for the current edition of Clue is $9.99 USD, and I've seen some retailers trying to sell it for as much as $11.99. In theory, this bargain bin version would mean a savings of roughly 50% off MSRP.

I'm sure these Parker Brothers branded editions will make a lot of kids & families very happy. They'll serve their purpose, and they're certainly more eco-friendly when they inevitably get thrown out in the trash.

And I have to admit, I'm very tempted to go pick up their knock off of Trivial Pursuit, just to see what kinds of questions they've put together for this edition. Love me a trivia game anyway, might as well add another to the shelves. 8)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:00 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:The cardboard suspect and weapons markers make the small board very crowded VERY quickly. I actually think this would play better without the visual aids of moving tokens around the house.

It's the trail of dots that really drags the game out in play time. Logical movement is sometimes impeded by not having a connection to the next dot you want to move to, most annoyingly when trying to enter or exit the Dining Room. Two doors, very clearly marked, but only one is a usable entrance/exit according to the dots.

This would have been better if it did away with spaces & instead allowed players to move 1 - 3 rooms away from their starting room, perhaps by rolling a custom die with only 1, 2, and 3 pips on its 6 sides.
Interesting. Did you play with the secret passage rule? That would have sped up play.

But you're right, there's no reason to restrict the entrance into the Dining Room. So I fixed it ... unfortunately there's not quite enough room without moving the room name. I also fixed the game branding: Parker Brothers Clue Mystery Game.

Also, I would say making the player pawns, suspects instead, then there's one less thing hanging out in the rooms with the players. And the suspect pawns could just sit on top of the weapons if need be. An actual metal weapons set might make things "cleaner" as well -- it shouldn't be too hard to find miniatures of the non-standard weapons.

As for the rooms, this is not that much different than the Clue Jr. game. If speeding up the game is the issue, I'd say adding the secret passages, and then simply the door to door rule -- i.e. a player moves to the next adjacent door in any direction. If the player doesn't want to enter, they merely stop in front of the door and wait their turn (but who would ever do that?). Or more simply, just add an extra die (clearly part of the cost savings measure ;-). Or using your method, maybe two dice, with color matching color coding to the magnifying glass spaces, for the 9 rooms.

Oh, and I fixed the game. Amazing how well it falls into place with the correct names (looks like this is now "The Ultimate Mystery Game"). The Hasbro Clue Mystery Game:

alwaysPeacock wrote:In theory, this bargain bin version would mean a savings of roughly 50% off MSRP.

I'm sure these Parker Brothers branded editions will make a lot of kids & families very happy. They'll serve their purpose, and they're certainly more eco-friendly when they inevitably get thrown out in the trash.
Here’s the thing ... I don’t doubt you’re wrong, but it makes no sense that they also changed the names and branding of the game. If they sell enough of these, the Clue brand will lose it’s appeal. Who needs Miss Scarlett when a whole generation of kids has grown up with Madame Rubie? As you correctly point out these games make a whole lot more sense for almost any family for a variety of reasons, and it’s not like wealthy people don’t shop at Big Lots!

The Clue brand is important to people now because of nostalgia. But kids playing for the first time are not going to have that. This game is otherwise 99%identical to the popular brand, and further confused by using another well known brand — Parker Brothers — to drive sales over another no-name knock-off game sitting on the shelf. I simply can’t imagine why they did this, save one: Hasbro is trying to keep the Trademark alive on Parker Bros.? That would make a lot of sense, but then what is the fate of “Mystery Game�? Will there ever be another version of Sir Ube, and what of the kids who grew up with him, will they have to settle for Prof. Plum in the future? Hasbro is messing with their nostalgic memories!
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am

I imagine Hasbro will churn these out for a year or two, then let them die off. Reddit is already having a good laugh with these editions, and asking the same question again and again: Why? I think it's purely because Hasbro wants their own product in the crap shops in lieu of a random Chinese manufacturer beating them to it. These will never compete with the name brands. A consumer shopping for gifts at a place like Five Below isn't frequenting Target anyway.

As for the kids: they'll never know the difference. Some who stay game fans will eventually find Clue & only have a vague memory of something similar from their youth. The rest won't care, either because they won't play games anymore, or they'll outgrow the family games in favor of the more complex tabletop titles out there.

The majority of the world doesn't have a nostalgia boner for these things.

The fate of "Mystery Game" is 1000 landfills. This will have no impact on the Clue brand, which is constantly kept alive through licensing into collector's editions & other media. Cluedo is certainly still strong enough in Europe to justify the more premium standard edition being sold across the pond, so I see no reason for all this fuss over these Parker games.

I would only be concerned if these were being marketed alongside their name brand counterparts. So far, that's clearly being avoided, and you can't find any official listing for these products online. So it's all much ado about nothing.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 am

Murder by Death wrote: If they sell enough of these, the Clue brand will lose it’s appeal. Who needs Miss Scarlett when a whole generation of kids has grown up with Madame Rubie?
In that respect, who needs Mrs. White when the next generation only knows Dr. Orchid? When classic characters can be booted so easily, clearly, sentiment isn't held in high regard.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:09 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:I imagine Hasbro will churn these out for a year or two, then let them die off. Reddit is already having a good laugh with these editions, and asking the same question again and again: Why? I think it's purely because Hasbro wants their own product in the crap shops in lieu of a random Chinese manufacturer beating them to it. These will never compete with the name brands. A consumer shopping for gifts at a place like Five Below isn't frequenting Target anyway.

The majority of the world doesn't have a nostalgia boner for these things.
So again, what sense does it make to churn them out for a year or two, if the intent is to beat a random Chinese manufacturer to the punch, if they don’t maintain it? All that does is allow the Chinese manufacturer to take over. I already surmised that this will limit a random Chinese knock-off’s options to rip-off Clue, but that’s not really going to stop them. So we will see how long Hasbro keeps this up.

I don’t know what Five below is, but if it’s anything like our Big Lots! then a lot of people shop at both it and Target, including people I know who make well over 6 figures.

As for nostalgia, I’m certainly not talking about the people on this forum. I’m talking about that visceral connection kids make to things they play with. Yes I concede that in the absence of this game in the marketplace, they will move on to something else, but that formative connection with that first play experience will be lost to Hasbro and their future nostalgic appeal. If the brand of the game no longer matters, then if Hasbro stops making Parker Brothers Mystery Game in a year or two, there’s no loyalty in the future such that some random and cheaper Chinese knock-off game won’t satisfy it either.

I agree this game is not going to make a huge dent in Hasbro’s business, but it seems like it’s not really going to help it either. Should be an interesting experiment.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Murder by Death wrote: If they sell enough of these, the Clue brand will lose its appeal. Who needs Miss Scarlett when a whole generation of kids has grown up with Madame Rubie?
In that respect, who needs Mrs. White when the next generation only knows Dr. Orchid? When classic characters can be booted so easily, clearly, sentiment isn't held in high regard.
I agree. There will be a whole group of kids who will only know Clue to have Dr. Orchid.

Most won’t care one way or the other. I bought the last Clue game at K-Mart for $7 on sale. And the clerk who sold it to me made the comment to me about “remembering this game, with Colonel Orange, and Mrs. Purple”.

So really, what does it matter? Given the average Millennial doesn’t even remember the game but in the broadest sense, I’m just wondering why Hasbro is making any effort at all to re-invent the cast of characters as if they were from a random Chinese knock-off, given that it only helps dilute their brand even further in the public consciousness.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Mystery Game On Hasbro Websites

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:30 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am
I would only be concerned if these were being marketed alongside their name brand counterparts. So far, that's clearly being avoided, and you can't find any official listing for these products online. So it's all much ado about nothing.
Here’s something interesting. Looks like Mystery Game, along with all the rest have ended up on Hasbro’s official Latin American website, alongside regular Clue games.

https://shop.hasbro.com/es-lam/product/ ... 608AEAD2D3

I also thought it was interesting to put the $5 price tag into context against Hasbro’s current retail offerings. Basically, the Grab & Go game is the same game at the same price, and essentially a nicer edition, with everything in a plastic carrying case. The standard game is only $4.99 more. It’s almost as if Hasbro is exploiting its less affluent customers by maximizing profits at their expense while offering them even less than the equivalent Clue branded product sold by higher-end retailers.

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/toys-games ... e%3Aclue))

I also found a listing online for a trademark registration of “Climb & Slide” dating from April 2017, which not only dates these games creation, but supports my theory that they hope to limit Chinese knock-off game’s options for competing on name recognition.

https://trademarks.justia.com/873/98/cl ... 98917.html

I’d love to do a proper patent and copyright search to see exactly what Hasbro has been filing with respect for these games. Though I think it would be a stretch to get a patent on any part of this game, it is interesting that they seem to have reduced the gameplay to the PD aspects of the original Pratt patent filing. The secret passages were added later.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Re: Parker Brother's Mystery Game

Post by Zoo977 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Well, I know I don't post here much. I'm gonna try to be brief on my thoughts here

- From what we've heart, the board and cards are pretty high quality. If this is just like, a cheapo generic version you can get instead of the main... honestly I get that entirely. Yeah if was probably done for money reasons but I'm sure people along the way had good sentiments there, letting people with less money buy a clue game. Especially since there are similar knockoff versions. I'm fine with this concept.

THE GOOD STUFF I LIKE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
- General Umber's a shameless knockoff but y'know? this whole thing is
- Miss Azul. Perfectly fine.
- Dr Rose. A bit plain but whatevs, still cool
- Revolver and Wrench. Duh.
- Also the Cleaver, nice and evil looking

THE NAFF STUFF
- Mister Pine's name is WAY too generic. Honestly I never really liked Mr Green or Mrs White either, but I like the characters.
- Madame Rubie would be super fine with me if it wasn't y'know. Spelled like a suburban mom trying to give KVIIIlynne-Mhaie or Le-a a unique name. Just use Ruby it looks WAY better
- The flow and sound of Sir Ube are my favorites out of all the names, but it's just. Not immediately identifiable as a color. And that's a critical failure for a clue character
- A hammer and frying pan are too mundane IMO. Honestly even the wrench was originally
- Why a golf club?????????
- Theater room still makes me super angry WHY

I ain't super big on the simplifications to gameplay either. I'm kinda torn here, I like that there's a cheaper one, both so more people can play it and so Clue looks more exclusive. And I mean, I don't even dislike the execution really, it is what it is. It's just missing that polish.

But maybe that's exactly the point.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

ClueLover98
Gumshoe

Post by ClueLover98 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Zoo977 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm
- Madame Rubie would be super fine with me if it wasn't y'know. Spelled like a suburban mom trying to give KVIIIlynne-Mhaie or Le-a a unique name.

But yes, that's one of my biggest pet peeves with the mystery game.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Zoo977 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:05 pm
- Madame Rubie would be super fine with me if it wasn't y'know. Spelled like a suburban mom trying to give KVIIIlynne-Mhaie or Le-a a unique name.
I'm dying :lol:

I work with a "Luh-dash-uh". Spelled: "L-A"