Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas Clue

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 pm

cluefan8888
Gumshoe

Post by cluefan8888 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Wait...JACK SKELETON WAS A WOMEN!?!?!?!?!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:42 am

I don't always like the redesigned board layout (least of all in the two standard games it originated in) but here it really works nicely. My only complaint is that it's a little too "cute" & smooth, visually. Doesn't really say "Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas" as much as it says "Obviously Branded to Appeal to a Niche Market Who Will Like it Anyway."
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:00 am

cluefan8888 wrote:Wait...JACK SKELETON WAS A WOMEN!?!?!?!?!
And if he was?

The color-gender dynamic is practically moot with any special edition. For instance Mickey Mouse as the white piece for the Haunted Mansion edition.

Scrunchy3
Suspect

Post by Scrunchy3 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:54 pm

What's the difference between the Disney version and the one from Hot Topic?

http://www.hottopic.com/product/the-nig ... ue&start=1

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Scrunchy3 wrote:What's the difference between the Disney version and the one from Hot Topic?

My guess is that it's just a prototype box design, sent out prior to the final design being set. The hot topic game is likely identical to the other one.[/img]

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas Clue

Post by Murder by Death » Sun May 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:17 pm
Was looking for more pics of Hot topic's exclusive version of Nightmare before Christmas Clue. When i found these concept art for the game. Includes both versions of the board. for anyone curious how they visually plan for their games https://www.behance.net/gallery/4890985 ... stmas-Clue
It's so funny that nobody realized or clarified that the Hot Topic version was somehow different when this was first being discussed. Ha!

Even the Hot Topic webpage doesn't highlight the added features.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Re:

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm

Scrunchy3 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:54 pm

The differnces are the new box cover. I've seen it in Hot Topic when it came out. It's that cover. the board lacks most color from the normal verson. And finaly the cheap character peices are replaced with coffins.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Re:

Post by Murder by Death » Mon May 20, 2019 12:24 am

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 pm
Scrunchy3 wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:54 pm

The differnces are the new box cover. I've seen it in Hot Topic when it came out. It's that cover. the board lacks most color from the normal verson. And finaly the cheap character peices are replaced with coffins.
Another thing I read in a review is that the character cards are thicker and embossed. If so, that’s a really nice touch.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Re: Re:

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Tue May 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:24 am
Another thing I read in a review is that the character cards are thicker and embossed. If so, that’s a really nice touch.
oh nice! it's a shame the hot topic version is over priced on ebay.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

So Hot Topic has the special edition Clue if you don't wanna sell an arm and a leg on Ebay. I just saw it in store. It's the blackwhite board with the hard coffin peices. retails for $48.90 unfortantly. but still cheaper then Ebay

https://www.hottopic.com/product/clue-t ... gwQAvD_BwE

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm
So Hot Topic has the special edition Clue if you don't wanna sell an arm and a leg on Ebay. I just saw it in store. It's the blackwhite board with the hard coffin peices. retails for $48.90 unfortantly. but still cheaper then Ebay

https://www.hottopic.com/product/clue-t ... gwQAvD_BwE
It’s interesting that USAopoly seems to have discontinued the original full color version. Maybe HotTopic wanted an exclusive with no competition, so they could charge $50.

HotTopic is running a 20% off sale, with free shipping over $60. So it’s not too bad if there are a couple of games, or other items you want.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Picked this up. A couple of observations:

The box has a plastic insert to hold the parts. It’s reminiscent of the high quality boxes that have always been a hallmark of the Cluedo editions. I also got the Scooby Doo 50th anniversary edition reissue and it likewise has the plastic insert. I have to give USAopoly high marks for that alone.

The custom tokens are fun, but kind of strange. They’re coffins, but you can see the characters from both sides. I see why this is necessary and helpful, but it makes for a weird design. Instead, the bases should have been colored, and the coffins only have characters on one side. Frankly, the colored bases would help in general since even with two sides, the pawn could be turned so that neither side could be seen.

The playing cards on both this and the Scooby Doo édition are as cheap as they can be. Thin and square corners cut out of a sheet. This édition in particular advertised embossed cards, and that’s not the case here. So chances are for this reissue, they put in the cheaper equipment from the regular edition.