Weird Patent Realization

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Do you think one of the men was originally a woman?

Maybe Doctor Black was
29%
Perhaps it was Professor Plum
29%
It could have been the Colonel
No votes
No, the genders weren't supposed to be so even at first
43%
Nurse White was a man and the genders were even MORE uneven
No votes

Total votes: 7

Zoo977
Master Detective

Weird Patent Realization

Post by Zoo977 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 pm

So, in the original Clue game, and every subsequent version, there's been an even ratio of men to women, right? (Save for Super Cluedo and the like, where an even number is impossible) I was looking at the patent version earlier, and I realized something about the suspects (Imma use Cacums interpretations of the patent suspects from forever ago since I can't link the original patent images);

The patent is the only place where there seemingly isn't any even split of the sort! Moreover, it isn't as though it's a token female suspect or two; If we go by the given genders and implied characters as we know them, it's almost an even split:
^v^MALE: Dr. Black, Mr. Brown, Mr. Gold, The Reverend Mister Green, Professor Plum, Colonel Yellow
^v^FEMALE: Miss Grey, Miss Scarlet, Mrs. Silver, Nurse White

Which brought me to the following conclusion: Was one of these characters that's come to be male supposed to be a woman initially? I mean, Mustard, Plum and Black are given to be men now, but was that always how it was supposed to be? If you care enough to read a bit more:
O-The characters who are given to be male are Mr. Brown, Mr. Gold, and Reverend Green (Is established in the patent cards)
O-The characters who are given to be female are Miss Grey, Miss Scarlet, and Mrs. Silver
O-Colonel Yellow and Nurse White don't have there genders given, but given the time period, it's only natural to assume their current genders

So, do you think Plum or Black may have originally been drafted as women? Maybe even Yellow was supposed to be different? Or is this just me over analyzing a board game, and the genders were initially supposed to be uneven?
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Weird Patent Realization

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:11 pm

Zoo977 wrote: O-Colonel Yellow and Nurse White don't have there genders given, but given the time period, it's only natural to assume their current genders

So, do you think Plum or Black may have originally been drafted as women? Maybe even Yellow was supposed to be different? Or is this just me over analyzing a board game, and the genders were initially supposed to be uneven?
I think you've answered your own question -- in the 1940s there weren't really any female colonels, or male nurses. Likewise, there were not really any female Doctors or Professors. Medicine and Academia was principally a male dominated field. Just look at The Imitation Game -- all men. The only woman, Joan Clarke was denied a degree from Cambridge, which didn't give degrees to men until 1948, paid less than the other Enigma cryptologists, and held back in career advancement, all because she was a woman.

I think one of the things that Waddingtons did was balance the game's characters, and simplify it. Having an even number of men and women, made it that much easier for couples to split up on game night.

Another thing to consider, Pratt heavily based his game on Agatha Christie murder mysteries which were wildly popular at the time. In 1939, Ten Little Indians (And Then There Were None), was also equally unbalanced -- 3 women to 10 men.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:04 am

I remember the cards that cacums created but I also recall Mr. Brown looking different.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:12 am

Black wrote:I remember the cards that cacums created but I also recall Mr. Brown looking different.
Cacums made a new Brown that looked like this. Image

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:35 pm

I remember these! Haha! Thanks for sharing. These were on my old computer where the files were lost.

I actually kinda like Dr. Black being female. Sir Hugh Black very well could have been married to the female Dr. Black. :)

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:07 pm

cacums wrote:I remember these! Haha! Thanks for sharing. These were on my old computer where the files were lost.

I actually kinda like Dr. Black being female. Sir Hugh Black very well could have been married to the female Dr. Black. :)
Interesting theory!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:23 pm

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:43 am

Oh. That's pretty cool! (I'd have written that the murder weapon was syringe)