New Game Alert! - Retro Series at Target

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6130
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

New Game Alert! - Retro Series at Target

Post by Michael » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:35 am

I happened upon a new Clue edition at Target. Retro Series. It looks just like the 1986 edition in a smaller box. I haven't had a chance to really examine it yet, but it appears identical with the exception of the weapon tokens.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

ClueLover98
Slueth
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm just going to try to sneak to Target ASAP! I don't have a 1986 version, but a remake would do me just fine! Which state are you in?

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6130
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:18 pm

I'm in GA. I should have mentioned, it says on the box that it's a target exclusive. So no need to check elsewhere.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:30 pm

I must get this!!!

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2594
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up Michael!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's much more than a straight-up re-issue of the 1986 game, though the colors might be a bit darker. Which is kind of disappointing after the amazing
Frontage Edition ( http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... 518#112518 ). But I suppose it bodes well that they are going back to an extremely classic edition, and
charging $19.99 for it. What I do find surprising, however, is that they are marketing it as the 1986 edition. Is that for the collector, or what promotional value does 1986 hold for the brand,
or nostalgia for that matter? Are the 1980s big right now? One idea comes to mind, that since the game is marketed as a "Retro Series: Clue 1986 Edition", that Target may be planning to
re-issue several old Clue games? Maybe one a year? It is interesting to note that the game is still limited to 3 players minimum, despite new official 2-player rules.

EDIT: Here's something strange -- just looking at the Retro Series games Target is offering ( http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=retr ... tro+series )
It seems like there is no rhyme or reason, and the Clue game is bar far the most recent. Basically Sorry is 1958 version, Scrabble is 1949 version, Twister is 1966 edition, and Candy Land is 1967.
All things considered, I would have preferred the 1972 version instead. I guess it's better than one more 1963 edition ...

http://www.target.com/p/retro-series-cl ... A-17072455
Turn the time machine back to 1986 with this Retro Series Clue game! Clue has intrigued generations of game-playing families. Did Colonel Mustard do it in the Lounge with
the Revolver? Maybe it was Miss Peacock in the Kitchen with a Rope? Each game provides a fascinating new mystery of foul play to test your ability as a sleuth. The game has
unique collectible packaging and the classic gameplay that you know and love, with retro components based on the 1986 edition. Put your sleuthing hat on and take it back to the '80s with Clue!

Includes full-size game board based on the 1986 edition, card deck with retro graphics, 6 classic wood tokens, retro weapons and die, vintage Detective Notes & Solution Envelope, and instructions.

• Retro Series Clue game looks like the 1986 edition
• Game has classic wood tokens, retro weapons and die
• Detective Notes and Solution Envelope are vintage
• Card deck has retro graphics
• Ages 8 and up
• For 3 to 6 players.
ImageImageImageImage
Image

ClueLover98
Slueth
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Thanks for the heads up Michael!

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's much more than a straight-up re-issue of the 1986 game, though the colors might be a bit darker. Which is kind of disappointing after the amazing
Frontage Edition ( http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... 518#112518 ). But I suppose it bodes well that they are going back to an extremely classic edition, and
charging $19.99 for it. What I do find surprising, however, is that they are marketing it as the 1986 edition. Is that for the collector, or what promotional value does 1986 hold for the brand,
or nostalgia for that matter? Are the 1980s big right now? One idea comes to mind, that since the game is marketed as a "Retro Series: Clue 1986 Edition", that Target may be planning to
re-issue several old Clue games? Maybe one a year? It is interesting to note that the game is still limited to 3 players minimum, despite new official 2-player rules.

EDIT: Here's something strange -- just looking at the Retro Series games Target is offering ( http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=retr ... tro+series )
It seems like there is no rhyme or reason, and the Clue game is bar far the most recent. Basically Sorry is 1958 version, Scrabble is 1949 version, Twister is 1966 edition, and Candy Land is 1967.
All things considered, I would have preferred the 1972 version instead. I guess it's better than one more 1963 edition ...

http://www.target.com/p/retro-series-cl ... A-17072455
Turn the time machine back to 1986 with this Retro Series Clue game! Clue has intrigued generations of game-playing families. Did Colonel Mustard do it in the Lounge with
the Revolver? Maybe it was Miss Peacock in the Kitchen with a Rope? Each game provides a fascinating new mystery of foul play to test your ability as a sleuth. The game has
unique collectible packaging and the classic gameplay that you know and love, with retro components based on the 1986 edition. Put your sleuthing hat on and take it back to the '80s with Clue!

Includes full-size game board based on the 1986 edition, card deck with retro graphics, 6 classic wood tokens, retro weapons and die, vintage Detective Notes & Solution Envelope, and instructions.

• Retro Series Clue game looks like the 1986 edition
• Game has classic wood tokens, retro weapons and die
• Detective Notes and Solution Envelope are vintage
• Card deck has retro graphics
• Ages 8 and up
• For 3 to 6 players.
ImageImageImageImage
Image
Miss Peacock! How dare they!!! :evil:

User avatar
ColJaime
Snoop
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Someplace

Post by ColJaime » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:25 pm

I JUST saw these at Target over the weekend!

Immediately I was taken aback because the 1986 version is nearest and dearest to my heart. I first discovered Clue IN 1986 (via the film) and this version was the first I ever owned and seeing it on shelves again made me smile... BUT.. boy did it make me feel old! Sure, sure- 1986 is very nearly 30 years ago but still. :P

Now I may be wrong, but I am almost CERTAIN the one I held in my hand had different photos of the components on the back of the box. What struck me as disappointing was that the all tokens appear to be the same ones used for any of the previous nostalgia versions and therefore inaccurate to the 1986 edition. These pics show the wooden pawns but the correct '86 weapons. I may be crazy.. I dunno. I'm sure I'll pick up a copy so I'll find out then.

I do find it odd that in terms of Nostalgia editions we've completely skipped over the '72.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2594
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:54 pm

ColJaime wrote: Now I may be wrong, but I am almost CERTAIN the one I held in my hand had different photos of the components on the back of the box. What struck me as
disappointing was that the all tokens appear to be the same ones used for any of the previous nostalgia versions and therefore inaccurate to the 1986 edition.
These pics show the wooden pawns but the correct '86 weapons. I may be crazy.. I dunno. I'm sure I'll pick up a copy so I'll find out then.

I do find it odd that in terms of Nostalgia editions we've completely skipped over the '72.
These pics are obviously the promotional pics taken from the Target website. However, the box is otherwise identical to the original 1986 box. Is it possible they
used the original box artwork for the back as well? In which case, the correct plastic pawns would show up. But thanks for pointing that out ... I did notice that
the cards reflect the proper plastic pawns, but don't match the actual pawns. If so and this is intentional, it's unfortunate. One other possibility occurs, that like
other game editions, they are getting rid of the existing stock before they switch over to the new custom pawns. Of course, that wouldn't explain the marketing
materials depicting wooden pawns.

As for the 1972 edition, the one distinguishing feature between it and every other clue board game is that the suspects and rooms are all drawings. The 1972 is
of course photographs. Considering that the 1963 edition has been around for over 13 years, the nostalgia factor may dictate they use drawings. On the other
hand, there may actually be rights issues over those photos. Parker Brothers may have only licensed those photos for use with the game for a finite period of
time, or owned them, but would be required to pay royalties to the models, or photographer. Then there's how completely different and dated the 1972 version is.
Maybe they just think it won't sell as well, despite over 13 years of sales for many which was their first board.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17424
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:19 pm

ClueLover98 wrote: Miss Peacock! How dare they!!! :evil:
'

They made that same error in 1986.
Image

ClueLover98
Slueth
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:24 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
ClueLover98 wrote: Miss Peacock! How dare they!!! :evil:
'

They made that same error in 1986.
(Oh wow! The CluedoKid posted *bows*.) I wish that they fixed it in this summary.

User avatar
BBP
Detective
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Post by BBP » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:06 am

Just want to say that front cover is hideous.

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:06 pm

BBP wrote:Just want to say that front cover is hideous.
It's off center and my OCD senses are tingling.

User avatar
ColJaime
Snoop
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Someplace

Post by ColJaime » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:03 am

I picked up a copy tonight and I can confirm that I was totally crazy (no surprise there!) when originally thinking this used the wrong weapon tokens. They are accurate to the real '86 edition, but of course there are the wooden pawns so this is still a weird edition in that respect.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2594
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 pm

ColJaime wrote:I picked up a copy tonight and I can confirm that I was totally crazy (no surprise there!) when originally thinking this used the wrong
weapon tokens. They are accurate to the real '86 edition, but of course there are the wooden pawns so this is still a weird edition in that respect.
Any chance you can post a picture of the back of the box? Is it a reprint of the original '86 box back? I still can't believe the front cover art is off-center --
obviously in the adaptation to the standard game box design the cropped it. But they must have just scanned the composite box art rather than go back to
the original art work which would have had "the classic detective game" banner separated.

ImageImageImage

The weapons tokens have been the same since 1972, other than slight variations in size depending on where they were made and with what molds.
Chances are they won't match exactly the tokens used in the original '86 unless you are confirming they are exact.

But the pawns are the worst of it, since they don't match the cards at all. The Frontage Bookshelf edition tokens don't match exactly, but at least
they look similar to the same shape as the original tokens.

User avatar
ColJaime
Snoop
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:02 pm
Location: Someplace

Post by ColJaime » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:26 pm

Hi, sorry I've been super super busy. Not sure when I'll get a chance for a pic, but I can tell you that it is not a recreation of the original box back. It does include some of the original text (including the erroneous "Miss Peacock") but then it goes on to talk about being a retro edition etc.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2594
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Looks like there was a Retro edition of Cluedo. Did this edition ever exist for Cluedo?

It's interesting that unlike the 1960s Cluedo wood box edition, where they created new artwork in the same style to include Rev. Green, in this one, they just left him Mr. Green.

Image

Image

Post Reply