Penny Dreadul Clue Edition?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Penny Dreadul Clue Edition?

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:04 pm

http://www.aaaanime.com/item/Games/700304046789.html

Who or what is Penny Dreadful and why does she deserve a custom Clue game?

Mrs.White24
Suspect

Re: Penny dreadful

Post by Mrs.White24 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:29 am

Penny dreadful are cheap popular serial literature produced during the 19th century, they were printed weekly and cost only 1 penny. The subjects of these stories exploit around detectives, criminals or supernatural entities. The stories were printed on cheap paper and aimed around young working men.

An example of a penny dreadful introduced the popular story Sweeney Todd and Frankenstein they are more of a detailed stories similar to Charles *beep*.

On Showtime there is a horror television show with the same name which uses Victor Frankenstein and other characters from other stories which currently have 8 episodes in season 1 and will be renewed for season two soon.

As of why it deserves A Clue game, I like the idea that its a horror based which might be interesting for the concept of Clue. I personally have not watched the show but I know enough about the stories and to be honest other than the concept of the stories being rather scary and is set in the 19th century, I'm not sure how this could work, we might just have to wait and see what the story is and how it is put together for the game itself. Hope this helps, :)
How did you know?! I cleaned my trail completely, I'll be back!

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

I couldn't really see the point of a Firefly edition...or Big Bang Theory... or just about anything that's been put out in the last several years. Tis a hum drum state of affairs for the once great game. :(

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks Mrs.white24. I suppose I could have googled it, but it's good to get someone's actual opinion of it.

Well one thing is for certain, the period is right for Clue.

But ColJaime, I disagree about putting out the franchise editions. While I'm with you on Firefly, a failed series with a smallish cult following at best, with little connection with the premise of Clue; The Big Bang Theory does a lot of good for Clue. It's one of the top rated TV shows worldwide, and for fans of the show who buy merchandise, it's a way to put Clue back into their lives, especially when it's a format that really works with the Clue premise. It equates Clue with the success of Big Bang. In its way, Firefly and Penny Dreadful might do the same thing, but they're off the radar for most people, and if the game is done poorly then all of that reflects badly on Clue.

I've always enjoyed the themed games, as a collectible alternative to the original, it's great for Keeping the brand thriving, and they're fun -- if done well. The Simpsons Clue is absolutely brilliant and a fun change of pace from the same old characters, and maybe even renews interest in the original.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:16 am

Murder by Death, I think my lament over the current Cluedo State of Affairs is larger than themed games. It's really more to do with what I feel has been a dreadful alteration (the newer board layout, rules etc.) but I also do cringe a bit with some of the themed versions. If anything, Penny Dreadful seems a better fit to the franchise than most.

I wish I could say my former passion for the game was as strong as ever, but it just isn't and these new products just don't inspire me to rekindle it. I do have hope, however, that nostalgia will win out (which I feel it tends to do) and we will see the proper version rise to prominence, again, some day.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:15 pm

Appears to be for sale on Showtime's website store.

http://store.sho.com/penny-dreadful-clu ... hows_penny