Clue: The Murderer

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

User avatar
BBP
Junior Detective
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by BBP » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

Looking great!

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Card concepts


Image

Image

This is the final design for the mansion.

Image
Image

ClueLover98
Gumshoe
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:12 pm

Beautiful!

ruckage
Snoop
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 am

Post by ruckage » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Fantastic concept art.

User avatar
cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:22 am
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Your art work is too beautiful... :shock:
Last edited by cluedoking123 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!
Image

ClueLover98
Gumshoe
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Hey, aren't these the same suspects as the ones from TAOM clue?

Even though I find a prince visiting Boddy to be alluring in a mysterious way. Seeing Lady Lavender chop up Boddy with the scissors in the Atelier seems like an interesting solution.

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11097
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:33 am

Beautiful as always!! I love the detail and style. It has the perfect sense of horror/charm that Clue needs! :D

User avatar
Zoo977
Master Detective
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 am

Post by Zoo977 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 am

Now, I need to say up front- this is gorgeous artwork, as always. I agree with pretty much everything that's been said up to this point. As well, I love the touch that the secret passageways are identical to those on a standard clue board! And I love all the little details in the art - I like the woman sewing in the background of the nursery card!

I need to say this in advance because I do have a couple concerns that I don't want to come off as standoffish;

1. While the rooms look great separately, the atelier looks as though it's somehow tilted towards the front of the house compared to the angling on the rest of the floor, and the kitchen and connecting stairwell seem to be moving on a completely different plane to the rest of the house. The further parts of the room should be more to the right.

2. Is there going to be a studio on the board? Maybe it's just because I'm uncultured, which I very much am, but I haven't heard the term atelier before. If there isn't a separate studio, think it would be less confusing to rename the atelier. And if there is... Is it necessary to have two studios? I notice there isn't a gallery in the house yet. (EDIT: I just noticed there is, in fact, a gallery. My mistake, I thought it was a rotunda at first. I don't know how.)

3. I'm concerned about just the sheet size of the board. I know you said you had a plan for this, but I'm not certain how to pull off such a massive board? Will only a few of the cards be in play for the majority of the game? I know this probably sounds silly, but I'm reminded of that April fools "Game of Thrones" clue game ThinkGeek made.

4. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like Brunette is sticking his lips out in his card art? Am I just seeing things? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore how silly it is, but it seems out of place given how elegant the rest of the art is.

5. As a final note, I think Lady Lavender might make a bad choice for a final suspect. Azure is one thing - Bright cyan and peacock blue are so different, they scarcely register as the same color. But blue covers a very, very large spectrum. Having a lavender and a plum purple suspect in a cast of twelve suspects seems small. If you keep azure... You have purple, indigo, cyan, green, yellow, red, pink, white, grey, brown, peach, and black covered, assuming you account for black. Depending on the colors of the sergeant and the colonel, you could replace her with a gold suspect or a different shade of grey. And depending on Miss Peach's color, you could use an orange suspect. I'm not certain if I'm wording this correctly, but I am a bit concerned about differentiating the suspects.

Again, I love this work. Please, PLEASE don't think I'm chastising you, I just want to try and help out.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:48 pm

First, thanks for the compliments everyone. Yes, they are the same suspects from the TAOM Clue edition which I did start a while back, but I never did end up finishing fully.
Zoo977 wrote:
1. While the rooms look great separately, the atelier looks as though it's somehow tilted towards the front of the house compared to the angling on the rest of the floor, and the kitchen and connecting stairwell seem to be moving on a completely different plane to the rest of the house. The further parts of the room should be more to the right.
I didn't make it an emphasis to adhere to forced perspective for the mansion, this being a merely an artistic representation of the room placements.
Zoo977 wrote:
2. Is there going to be a studio on the board? Maybe it's just because I'm uncultured, which I very much am, but I haven't heard the term atelier before. If there isn't a separate studio, think it would be less confusing to rename the atelier. And if there is... Is it necessary to have two studios?
The term atelier is the French term for 'workshop' or 'studio'. I decided to use it to avoid confusion with the Study.

Zoo977 wrote:

3. I'm concerned about just the sheet size of the board. I know you said you had a plan for this, but I'm not certain how to pull off such a massive board? Will only a few of the cards be in play for the majority of the game? I know this probably sounds silly, but I'm reminded of that April fools "Game of Thrones" clue game ThinkGeek made.
I like the idea of a big board and I did create concepts to how it would look built as a game.
Zoo977 wrote:
4. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like Brunette is sticking his lips out in his card art? Am I just seeing things? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore how silly it is, but it seems out of place given how elegant the rest of the art is.
This is not the final design for him. I drew the cards very quickly and added in that pout of him in frustration.
Zoo977 wrote:
5. As a final note, I think Lady Lavender might make a bad choice for a final suspect. Azure is one thing - Bright cyan and peacock blue are so different, they scarcely register as the same color. But blue covers a very, very large spectrum. Having a lavender and a plum purple suspect in a cast of twelve suspects seems small. If you keep azure... You have purple, indigo, cyan, green, yellow, red, pink, white, grey, brown, peach, and black covered, assuming you account for black. Depending on the colors of the sergeant and the colonel, you could replace her with a gold suspect or a different shade of grey. And depending on Miss Peach's color, you could use an orange suspect. I'm not certain if I'm wording this correctly, but I am a bit concerned about differentiating the suspects.
In practice, both Azure and Lavender are horrible colour choices, throwing in a second blue and second purple to add to confusion.

As it will be for the game. I intend to give Azure light, bright blue royal garments, and Mrs. Peacock a darker rich blue in the imitation of peacock plumage.

Lavender will get sort of a light, faded feminine lavender shade for her dress, while Plum will have dark, rich red-purple.

I'm not really quite as concerned capturing the entire rainbow spectrum than I am using pre-established characters.

Dr. Black is inferred to as the previous owner of the mansion, and already deceased as part of the game's history. Mr. Boddy drove Black to bankruptcy shortly before he ended up dead. Mr. Boddy now ends up dead, setting up for the premise for the game.
Image

User avatar
Zoo977
Master Detective
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 am

Post by Zoo977 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:21 am

Alright, that all makes sense. Just as long as the Lavender and Azure are distinct enough, all should be well. Thanks for addressing my concerns. �
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11097
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:31 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
Zoo977 wrote:
2. Is there going to be a studio on the board? Maybe it's just because I'm uncultured, which I very much am, but I haven't heard the term atelier before. If there isn't a separate studio, think it would be less confusing to rename the atelier. And if there is... Is it necessary to have two studios?
The term atelier is the French term for 'workshop' or 'studio'. I decided to use it to avoid confusion with the Study.
This is one I love! Study and Studio are sooo close together in spelling. There have been alot of fan games I printed out in the past that had both Study and Studio and my family has goofed with the wrong card. So I love the new word! Plus it just sounds classy. ;)

ClueLover98
Gumshoe
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 pm
Location: In the Conservatory with the Candlestick

Post by ClueLover98 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:19 am

What weapons and categories will be there?

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:12 am

I've decided on sets of weapons. Here is my working list

Stabbing: Dagger, Axe, Awl, Meat Cleaver, Sword and Scissors

Shooting: Revolver, Blunderbuss, Derringer, Cannon, Crossbow and Rifle

Bludgeoning: Candlestick, Wrench, Lead Pipe, Statuette, Horseshoe and Kettle-Bell

Strangling: Rope, Telephone Cord, Stockings, Rosary, Necktie and Dog Leash

Poisoning
: Poison, Syringe, Mushrooms, Nightshade, Snake and Spiders
Image

User avatar
Zoo977
Master Detective
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 am

Post by Zoo977 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:09 am

I like the vast majority of the weapons... although there are still a few I'm not too keen on.

I get Clue weapons are intrinsically silly... but even taking into account the fact there's an elevator and an attic and all that, the cannon seems MASSIVELY impractical. I can't exactly see Mrs. Peacock going through the trouble of hiding and wheeling a cannon all around when much smaller and equally lethal weapons are available. While these other complaints are merely suggestions, this has to change in my opinion. If you use an old fashion pepperbox revolver, a pistol would be much better.

The Axe and the Cleaver don't really fit under stabbing weapons; they're more thrashing or hacking weapons, if that makes sense. I get the similarities, but they're not the same type of sharp force trauma. You could simply change the category to sharp weapons. Or you could use, say, a knife or an ice pick? Maybe a spear or an umbrella?

I also don't much care for the dog leash. I could understand there being one in the mansions, but the name doesn't sound as timeless as the other weapons do, if that makes sense. A scarf could work, but it seems like you're trying to have unique weapons. Maybe a string of pearls? Or some vines could be nice, given the number of outdoor locations.

Aside from those, the other weapons all seem pretty solid. I just think a couple changes could improve things.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:22 pm

I did this a while back but the cannon is a small piece.

I agree about the axe and cleaver issue. I'm sure I can resolve that.

As for unique weapons yes, but also what would be found around the house and there is a dog.


Image
Image

User avatar
BBP
Junior Detective
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by BBP » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Hey that kinda looks like The Last Door...

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Yes, it does!
Image

User avatar
Zoo977
Master Detective
Posts: 1518
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:48 am

Post by Zoo977 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:15 pm

oh my god the preview image even has Mrs. Peacock using the cannon that's amazing
Yes, that makes so much more sense. My mistake. :oops:
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 am

Image

Image
Image

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11097
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:52 pm

I know notice those "two details" you pointed out to me instantly when seeing it this size on the forum :)

Post Reply