RIP, Eileen Brennan

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

RIP, Eileen Brennan

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:18 pm

:( Just saw this on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... nt_count=1

Then a little Google search confirmed it: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/showbiz/a ... nnan-obit/

RIP, "Mrs. Peacock."
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:27 pm

I too just got word. So sad. :(
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:42 am

Oh no... this is a tragic day for us... :(
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am

It is sad but 80 is quite impressive. And while she was never a major A-lister, her career certainly wasn't a joke. She actually has some classics on her resume, including The Sting. She seemed to have crossed several film genres, even though she could have easily been stuck with her true strength, comedy. She did television, appearing on multiple hit shows. She actually has a pretty impressive background considering she may not have been a household name for a lot of people.

I am sad that she is no longer with us but impressed by the body of work she left behind.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:58 pm

She also did A LOT of theater! I have a lot of plays where she is listed in original cast
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

chaosemerald
Spy

Post by chaosemerald » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:12 pm

So sad, she was a great actress. I've only ever seen two movies she was in, but Peacock was my favorite in the movie and she was great as Tess Skepington in murder by death too.

Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

Post by Mr_Scarlett » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:49 pm

A legend in my eyes. Loved her Peacock. RIP Eileen.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 pm

I just saw her in an episode of Will & Grace the other day. It's so sad :(

Do you think she would be mad that my reaction when I found out was "Yes.. what? no? WHY?"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 am

Lol, cacums. My initial reaction was, "Well, I guess Mrs. Peacock didn't do it." I've decided whoever lives the longest from the cast is the true killer. Bit sick, but then my favorite board game is centered around murder... :wink:

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:53 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I've decided whoever lives the longest from the cast is the true killer.
Assume you mean of those characters who didn't die in the movie. So who does that leave? My guess is Curry is next considering his overall health and that stroke. It'll probably end up being Scarlet -- I think she's the youngest and looks the best of all of them.

Wadsworth/Boddy
Mustard
Scarlet
Green
Plum

I'm thinking at this point Paramount could do much worse than to partner with Hasbro and license an edition of the game based on the movie. Heck, even get USAopoly to produce it with their custom manufacturing program. They only require a 5,000 game run. I'm certain Eileen Brennan fans alone could cover that, let alone Madeline Kahn, not to mention Tim Curry.

I think the main problem is that the actors (and now some of their estates) have the right of approval over their likenesses and can negotiate anything they like for the use. Wile a few seem willing to embrace Clue without being greedy, I'm not sure everybody feels that way now.

I'm thinking it would be based on the 1979 edition, but the board would feature beautifully drawn birds eye view perspective of the rooms from the set (though I would accept really high quality still photos of the empty rooms from the set), with custom counter tokens -- maybe pewter busts or statues like the 50th anniversary edition. A replica weapons set would be great too, colored to match (e.g. Black revolver, gold candlestick, etc.). Put it all in a nice bookshelf box with movie art and you'll have winner.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:57 pm

RIP Eileen, heaven is a lot more fun now.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am

Wow. Tomorrow is a very good bot. Very sophisticated, restating parts of what other people said and incorporating them with the spam message. I almost clicked to see the Eileen Brennan line of replica handbags! Haha

chaosemerald
Spy

Post by chaosemerald » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Wow! I actually fell for that. Even though the post didn't flow very well, and it seemed familiar I still clicked on the link. :oops:

A movie edition would be awesome, I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Sorry about that! Just deleted the message, though, for anybody just catching up...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 am

Hm? What was it they said?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:45 am

I've always wondered why Parker Brothers never released a movie tie-in edition of the game back in 85/86. I know of the two tie-in books (and have copies of both), but was there any other merchandise released around the time of the movie's cinema run? One would think a film based on a popular toy/game would be the easiest to spin into a line of merchandise.

Doesn't one of the UK spinoff games feature extra characters that cover clues on the board? I can't recall now if that was Super Cluedo Challenge or Cluedo Super Sleuth, but surely one of those could have been the foundation for a movie edition featuring the main characters and the ones added for the movie (I'm thinking mainly of Boddy's informants, ie, the many victims).

Maybe (probably not) we'll get a movie edition for Christmas from Winning Moves, this year. I swear, I'll scream if I see the 1963 game stuffed into another wooden box.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 am

I always thought there should be a movie edition too. It surprised me that a movie came out in 85, and in 86 we get a Clue game that bears no resemblance to the movie. Of course, it seems the movie was not that successful and has become more of a cult classic. But you'd think with the nostalgia factor kicking in that we'd see Clue: The Movie: The Boardgame released.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:26 pm

I think it's pretty clear why there was no movie tie-in with the board game -- money.

Yes, Paramount was paying Parker Brothers for the rights to adapt the game, and Parker in turn had to pay Waddingtons. But likewise, Parker Brothers would have had to pay Paramount, and the individual actors each to use their likeness on the game, as well as continued royalties on each game sold. A there was little motivation to pursue that course, especially not knowing how popular the movie would be. In fact, e failure of the movie is probably what kept Parker Brothers out of the movie business until Hasbro came along and started licensing toy properties.

The fact that Parker Brother chose 1986 as he release date to revise their stalwart 1972 edition, specifically with a return to the familiar mansion design, speaks volumes about their efforts to capitalize on the movie in a royalty free way. And with the obvious exception of Mr. Green, all the other characters bear at least a slight similarity to their movie counterparts, especially Col. mustard who seemed to get his makeover directly from Martin Mull's character.

My guess is Hasbro sees it the same way ... Why pay royalties to a studio when they can own everything? This is why Hasbro is now producing their own films. Although, if they ever figure out a compelling way to tell Clue in a modern film adaptation, my guess is Hasbro will happily negotiate a tie-in game.

In the meantime, USAopoly and Winning Moves are already paying royalties to Hasbro, as well as to the studios for the themed games. So for them to create a game based on the movie should be an easy no-brainer ... I mean if they brought back Dungeons and Dragons, why not the movie? Moreover, why not partner with Paramount to sell a copy of the movie with the game -- perhaps produce a few behind the scenes segments featuring tributes to the late Miss Khan and Brennan, along with the fabled Fourth ending that eluded the disappointing BluRay release.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I am determined to see the cut scenes before I die. The 4th ending, the longer, more violent Peacock ending, and anything else we got glimpses of in the trailer. It has to exist somewhere, yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the studios had grown out of the habit of melting down film stock by the 80s, yes? So a work print has to be somewhere, collecting dust, right? I just hate to think that the footage is lost forever. And not just for Clue, but any film. My research into the way most silent films were handled (sparked by the awful history behind The Phantom of the Opera) has made me very uptight about film preservation.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:It has to exist somewhere, yes?
Yes. It all exists, and likely in a preserved director's cut which wouldn't likely even require re-editing to present it.

It's all a matter of money. Look at the recent Star Trek the Next Generation BluRay project ... Because it was originally edited on low resolution videotape, they went back to the original source 35mm film, re-transferred, re-edited, and re-composited it. Essentially going through and paying for almost the entire post production process again. And it's of the same era as Clue. But unlike Clue, Star Trek has a demonstrated reliable fan base on which the studio can be assured their costs will be recouped.

While I'm certain the studio knows the cult status of Clue, which is responsible for the BluRay release in the first place, they likely don't have any idea about its actual worth beyond general preservation. Only the home video sales can give that kind of information. If enough BluRay/DVD/download's sell, Paramount may try another release with the extra material to drive more sales in the future.

All I can say is we should all buy the home videos, and write letters to Paramount. But it seems like the numbers of visitors around here are dwindling every day for us to make much of an impact. Even many of the regulars have disappeared.

It's too bad nobody from Clue has achieved "A" list status, or had a major resurgence in their career, because that would help drive it. The loss of Kahn didn't do it, either, so I imagine neither will the loss of Brennan. Morbidly speaking, when we lose Tim Curry, that might be enough to do it, especially since the 4th ending revolves solely around him.