BBP's Cluedo Collection

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Junior Detective

Re: BBP's Cluedo Collection

Post by BBP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 pm

:shock: Wow, that you can identify that from such a tiny picture! Is there really lead in those things?
The rope is made of string.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 pm

It's mainly the box that gave it away. Miro was one of the original licensees of Cluedo in Europe. What's great about these editions is that they were able to correct many of Waddingtons mistakes, so you get the full-sized artwork on the smaller board matching Waddingtons' original, rather than the cropped, cut-down version the UK ended up with for 50 years. The weapons too were modeled on the original Waddingtons weapons, but not cast of lead. So you get the original UK candlestick, but slightly smaller as it was originally created for these Euro licensees. As I recall, even the Lead Pipe was cast instead of the lead bar the UK and US used. European countries were probably already regulating lead at that point which necessitated the creation of the new weapons tokens.

This is the original version.

http://collecjeuxsoc.eklablog.com/cluedo-a37334186

And this is the later version:

https://www.brocantelab.com/produit/147 ... -1951.html

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 am

I really wonder about the age of this edition - it's in very good condition, the instruction book has the old logo but the same text of the 1991 edition I grew up with. Guessing from the spelling used in there it might be an 80s retro release.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

There's one website that listed the games, but they decided to close down after the image reproduction legislation was tightened last year. Luckily there's Internet Archive. Here are some of the lessons:

The first Dutch edition is from 1959. Before that, the game was imported - a photo that appeared in the Volkskrant of 30 April 1955, shows the then princesses of the Dutch royal family (the later queen Beatrix and her sisters) playing the game, giving Cluedo a royal stamp of approval!

The first Dutch edition (1959) is the red one with the drawing of a Sherlock and his dog. Initially the box interior had no print, but later versions do have an interior print. This move was already made in 1959.

The purple box was used from 1964 onwards.
From 1964 to 1967, the Clipper logo was shown in a boat shape. After 1967, the Clipper logo is in a square.
1969 edition adds the text "Made under license from John Waddington Ltd Leeds" under the Clipper logo.

1974/1975: Purple box but with blue or yellow plastic inlay.

1974: 25th anniversary editions, luxury boxes similar to the French ones

1976: Major overhaul - new box with the photo, interior and weapons. The name "Clipper" in light blue letters.

1978: Introduces the swirl on the background of Clipper.

1978: Square boxes with flimsy boards

1982: Clipper logo moved to the top left of the box. Same goes for the square boxes from the same year.

1982: Cluedo Junior

1987: Plastic cardboard is replaced by a simple inlay.

1987: VNV Security promotion edition.

1992: Drawn box cover

1999: Cluedo 50

Breinbreker 2006
Kaartspel 2003
DVD 2006
Chocolade 2007
Suspect 2011

You know how I kept saying I was only going to collect the Dutch editions with the English names? I think I'm done... :?