Ack! Ugly new logo on upcoming "Clue" Blu-Ray

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ColJaime
Snoop

Ack! Ugly new logo on upcoming "Clue" Blu-Ray

Post by ColJaime » Mon May 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Sigh. The artwork for this summer's blu-ray release of "Clue" has been shown on www.thedigitalbits.com, and I'm very disappointed to see that they have replaced the classic logo with something that isn't quite the new logo, but very similiar.

Hmm. Can't seem to link to the actual pic, but if you click the top story on the site and scroll down, you can see it.

I can understand Hasbro wanting uniformity in their branding, but I really hate the new logo, and this isn't even quite the new logo anyway. The film uses the classic logo, and that's what should be on the package, IMO. =/

Also, reports seem to indicate that there are no new features for this Blu-Ray release, it's just an upgrade from the existing DVD version, which is pretty bare-bones. It's a real shame. For being a "cult" film with a large following, you'd think SOMEBODY would see the value in a more "special" edition. Perhaps with any luck, at least this terrible artwork may be "subject to change"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon May 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Here's the link to the artwork. The "[ img ]" tag does not seem to be working for some reason ...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Hate to hear that about the rumors. Hope they aren't true. But I wouldn't put it past Paramount to release the basic BluRay copy, gauge how well it sells, and then issue a "Special Edition" blue ray with the stuff we want to see, like the 4th ending. They've been using this tactic for years with Star Trek.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue May 22, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue May 22, 2012 1:15 am

Paramount kind of screwed themselves ... I just checked iTunes, and a 1080p HD version of Clue is available for download purchase and rent. The trailer looks great in HD.

Evidently it is also available on Amazon.com downloads in HD as well.

As ColJaime suggests, the press releases indicate that the Blu Ray will be a direct port of the original, so three endings, an option for a random ending, and the trailer. Nothing else. No commentary, no deleted scenes.

If that's really what happens, might as well just download it in HD with the traditional 3 endings, and save yourself some money in the process. Good to have it in HD though!

Here's a cool Easter-egg I found in one of the forums for those of you with the Clue DVD (anybody done this before?) --
If you select to view the movie with one of the three theatrical endings, once you reach the end of chapter 14 ("Wadsworth Explains Everything"), the disc will then branch to one of the three endings. It's quite clever how it's done: Wadsworth shuts off the lights and the screen goes black as we hear a few complaints from the characters; when the lights turn back on, it goes to one of the endings.

A cool easter egg is to play this option all the way through the end credits. When the movie is over and it returns to the menu screen, highlight the theatrical trailer and press down. You're then taken to a hidden menu screen where you can watch each ending on its own.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue May 22, 2012 8:52 am

I actually like this artwork. I was never a fan of the original.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 pm

I like the artwork too, but the logo is just plain weird. Why change it? I understand why the new DTS logo is the way it is -- it's a Trademark thing. But the 1972 Clue logo is distinctive enough to be trademarked as well (as it was for over 30 years) ... so why change it? It won't match anything in the film ... and I don't think it's especially well done ...