Clue, the Musical Music and more...

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Clue, the Musical Music and more...

Post by cluedoking123 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:13 am

So on youtube someone posted kareoke stylings for most of the soundtrack to clue the music, here's one of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIapBuq4LSI

someone else posted a link to a part of their production, with the oppsion to purchase the DVD, not a bad idea if you're looking to see it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI4myhTzIe0
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 am

I've never seen a Clue the Musical stage done like that. I like it.
But WHY did all of the characters have to have accents?!

I might have been interested in a DVD version of it, but the audio sounds pretty bad.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am

Michael wrote:I've never seen a Clue the Musical stage done like that. I like it.
But WHY did all of the characters have to have accents?!

I might have been interested in a DVD version of it, but the audio sounds pretty bad.
I'm with you. The production looks pretty good, but what's with Col Mustard wearing a US military uniform and speaking with a German accent? I could almost let the others go, except Mrs. White is almost unintelligible.

I don't know why a production which records a live performance for either a cast album, or a video copy always uses a mic at the back of the theatre. While not necessarily the best quality audio, putting a simple and inexpensive rented radio mic on each actor would go a long way toward making such a recording more enjoyable.

The set is a no brainer, but like you, I'm surprised nobody thought of it before. The only thing I would do differently is put the rear rooms on risers so less of the foreground rooms block the action. Also, in this configuration, I miss the three rooms not utilized in the musical. The Hall, Dining Room, and Library could be added to the periphery, just to complete the set without necessarily causing confusion.

The solid color cyclorama doesn't do much for me. Surely they could have done something more interesting with that.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Post by cluedoking123 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 pm

So I just got back from a local production of Clue the Musical. I almost cried I was laughing so hard! It was SOOOO good!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm

This looks like a fantastic production of Clue: The Musical.

The cast is terrific. I think White is being played by a man, which is a really fun notion. Love e oversized weapons ...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/clue-the-m ... 1337780541

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

I vaguely recall reading about White being a man in the musical, although I don't remember why or the purpose it served in the play.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Oversized weapons and White being played by a man are stipulated in the script, though of course individual productions have the option to disregard that is they wish. I've seen the show 3 times, and only once was Mrs. White played by a woman (high school production).

According to the script, the idea of the show is that the characters are the pawns of the board game. The scale of the rooms, weapons, and cards are meant to play up the idea of being "locked" in the game (near the beginning, every suspect voices their disdain at the prospect of the kinds of fingers -- sticky, sweaty, strong -- that might be squeezing them during play). That's why they're all surprised to see the Detective in the second half of the show (Col. Mustard: "You're not in the rules!").

I've never seen a production use oversized weapons, but I LOVE the look of them in that photo, above.

As for the purpose of White being played by a man: cheap laughs. Mrs. White is rather randy in this script, so it's an easy laugh to see a large man in drag talking about hunky stewards on cruise ships, or putting the moves on Prof. Plum in one scene. Favorite exchange:
The Detective has asked Mrs. White how tall she is. The actor responds with his actual height, well above that of an average female.
Detective: With heels?
White: With anybody.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Post by cluedoking123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Murder by Death wrote:This looks like a fantastic production of Clue: The Musical.

The cast is terrific. I think White is being played by a man, which is a really fun notion. Love e oversized weapons ...

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/clue-the-m ... 1337780541
Mrs. White is supposed to be played by a man.

The guy playing Mr. Green has the PERFECT Prof. Plum hair!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Switching Green and Plum would be perfect!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:18 am

I'd love to have seen these guys on a TV series.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Clue, the Musical Music and more...

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 pm

This is the most current thread I could find on the MUSICAL.

I read a glowing review by @alwaysPeacock from the previous decade ... but I haven't seen the musical myself. Has anyone else and what are your thoughts?

The reason I ask is I was wondering what people would think of an adaptation of this musical, or the songs anyway, for a contemporary TV Show?

Does anyone here watch RIVERDALE? The cast did an episode where they were performing the CARRIE Musical in their high school, and the shows characters took on the personas of the characters in the musical outside of the show-within-a-show, and performed all the songs. They reportedly are going to do another musical episode this season.

I was thinking the CLUE Musical would be an excellent choice for a show like RIVERDALE to do, but I've not seen or heard the music to put it into context. But it's a tailor-made cast -- Archie, Betty, Jughead, Veronica, Reggie, Cheryl

Thoughts?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:46 pm

I've not seen or heard the music to put it into context
You're not missing much. The songs are catchy, but mostly forgettable. It takes a lot of cues from the '70s explosions of concept musicals, meaning the songs do nothing to advance the plot. They're just commentary/character pieces, along the lines of the use of music in "Cabaret" or "The Threepenny Opera". The one exception might be "The Murder," the 2-3 minute musical montage of every possible suspect/weapon/room combination leading up to Boddy's death. But that's not even a song, it's just physical comedy set to music.

The script actually works perfectly well as a non-musical play if you take the songs out, which I'm sure some tiny company/school has done in the past just to [illegally] be able to put a Clue story on stage.

"Everyday Devices" is the only song anyone seems to hum after the show, and only because the theme is used for the Overture, the "Everyday Devices" number itself, the entr'acte, and the ED reprise. We're beat over the head by it, not unlike with an antique candlestick.

I've seen [too] many productions of the show. Only once, maybe twice, has it ever really worked. It's a weak script (fun, but paper thin), and it NEEDS really, REALLY sharp comic actor-singers to make it work.

To be fair, it's not the kind of show that aspires to "high art." It's just fun, and it's easy enough for a theatre of any size/budget to produce [to varying degrees of success]. I'll see it any chance I can simply because even if it's done on the cheap, it's a fun way to pass 90 minutes of my life. And I like seeing how different productions handle the scenic & costume designs.

But let's not forget the original off-Broadway production played less than 30 performances before closing up shop. The story I've heard is a principal actor got sick, and the understudies unexpectedly quit, forcing the show to its early demise.

HERE is the NYTimes review of the aforementioned production. It's brief, but telling.

Which is all to say: please, no.

If you really want to hear some of the music, I've got a copy of the demo supposedly recorded by the original company. It's only 8 tracks, but it's pretty indicative of the entire score. Oddly enough, it's the same recording Samuel French will send to companies producing the show as a perusal/resource. Odd because it's not complete, so I don't see how anyone doing the show would find it very useful.

And HERE is an entirely uninspired article by Tom Chiodo, one of the show's authors, for Sam French's "Breaking Character" magazine.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:15 am

I’ve watched a few productions of it on YouTube. I really enjoyed it. Mrs White is probably my favorite character in the play. I just bought the book with the script and was surprised to see it mention that Mrs White should be played by a man. Both productions I saw online had women playing Mrs White, and one of them has a woman playing Prof Plum as a female character rather than just a woman playing a male character.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:44 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 pm
This is the most current thread I could find on the MUSICAL.

I read a glowing review by @alwaysPeacock from the previous decade ... but I haven't seen the musical myself. Has anyone else and what are your thoughts?

The reason I ask is I was wondering what people would think of an adaptation of this musical, or the songs anyway, for a contemporary TV Show?

Does anyone here watch RIVERDALE? The cast did an episode where they were performing the CARRIE Musical in their high school, and the shows characters took on the personas of the characters in the musical outside of the show-within-a-show, and performed all the songs. They reportedly are going to do another musical episode this season.

I was thinking the CLUE Musical would be an excellent choice for a show like RIVERDALE to do, but I've not seen or heard the music to put it into context. But it's a tailor-made cast -- Archie, Betty, Jughead, Veronica, Reggie, Cheryl

Thoughts?
After watching the Heathers episode, I don’t trust Riverdale with Clue.
Speaking of Carrie the musical, here’s two clips of The Destruction (the prom scene) from Carrie: The Killer Musical Experience. It’s Awesome!
https://youtu.be/OVRpLX96o_Q
https://youtu.be/LvCg3vttMeM
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en