what was your first Clue game?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Aaron21
Spy

what was your first Clue game?

Post by Aaron21 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:52 am

what was your first Clue board game that got you hooked and what was the first one that started your collection?

mine was the 1992 SNES clue ROM and after I got hooked to the game and started collecting my aunt got me my first Clue game to start my collection, which was the 1985 VHS game! I loved it! :D 8)

Michael told us in my last post that the Master Detective was his first clue game for his collection. that's why I decided to post a new topic. :D
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:42 am

Cluedo 2000 was my very first cluedo game ever which was about 10 or 11 years ago.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:26 am

first ever played: Clue on the super nintendo

first ever owned: 1992 edition, shortly after that I got the 1994.

I was around 4 or 5 when this started
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:04 pm

cluedoking123 wrote:first ever played: Clue on the super nintendo

If the SNES clue was the first you played, wouldn't it be the first you owned? (Unless you borrowed it or played at a friends house)

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Black wrote:

If the SNES clue was the first you played, wouldn't it be the first you owned? (Unless you borrowed it or played at a friends house)

I played it somewhere else first it wasn't my first game. that's how I got into the game.
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Black wrote:

it was my cousins. He sat me down and said, "here pick a game to play" so i did.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Well as was pointed out, mine was the Master Detective. But the movie is what really got me interested in the game. I loved the movie but had never played the game. I still thought that Mrs. White wasn't a maid, but a guest... Then one of my friends told me about how she'd played a version called Master Detective which even had a car as a weapon. Obviously she was confusing the car from the board's Carriage House, but it had my imagination racing and I HAD to have the game, which I got from my grandfather for Christmas.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:43 pm

I played 1986 Clue at a friends house when I was 7. My parents then bought me Clue Jr because you HAD to be 8 or older to play Clue (much to my chargin). I don't know what happened to that Clue JR game but that Christmas after I was 8 my older brother bought me the 1997 Clue Game and I wore that thing out! I was just looking at the board the other day and the fold is soo torn. The weapons are practically black from all the oils and sweat from hands touching them so much. I remember breaking the Rope and cutting one out of cardboard and using that as my rope. Eventually I bought another version of the 1997 Clue because I wanted a fresh one since mine was soo worn out. I remember that I got two Colonel Mustard pawns in that edition. After that I began snatching as many Clue(do) games as I could from Ebay and Entique stores. To this day I have 3 1973 Clue Games. Two Master Detective Boards. I bought a spare board on Ebay because mine had a backwards fold in the Trophy Room which caused it to bubble out rather than fold in.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Mine was the 50th Anniversary as a Christmas present, I think the first one I ever played was the 1992 version, but I could be wrong about that.

thegamesafoot
Suspect

First Game

Post by thegamesafoot » Wed May 16, 2012 5:58 pm

The edition that I played first was the 1972 edition back in the early 70's. I was young and did not really do well at the game. I played with some older kids who definitely understood the game better than me. I love the cards from this edition.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Thu May 17, 2012 5:22 am

Dutch 90s edition, which I got when I was nine. For the afficionadoes: that's the last Dutch Cluedo before Hasbro took over and decided to translate the names into the barf-form they have today: I grew up playing with Mej. Scarlett and Professor Plum. Latter caused hilarity since, down my way plum is slang for toilet.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:33 am

1988 edition, almost immediately followed up with MD.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:58 pm

First exposure: the thrid version of Clue Jr, the one with "Greta Green" as one of the kids. It was on a shelf at an after-school daycare place I went to for many years, and I spent a few minutes reading the rules and looking at the pieces before putting it back (since nobody wanted to play).

Later, at a different after-school daycare place, I found the 1996 edition, also missing many pieces, and fell in love with the idea of the game.

First game: the 1996 edition. I got to go to Toys-r-Us after bringing home a straight-A report card (go 9 year old me!) and pick any one item I wanted. I found the Clue game, and claimed it as my prize. The 50th Anniversary edition came out later that year, and I got it as a Christmas gift. Thus began the collection. :)

Sidenote: I later found almost ALL of the puzzle games at that same Toys-r-Us, but didn't buy any because I figured I could just grab one or two the next time I went to the store. I'm still kicking myself because by the time I made it back, the store had been completely remodeled, and the puzzle games were nowhere to be found.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:15 pm

1972 Clue. Hated the plastic rope even as a child, and went out of my way not to suggest it.

Aaron21
Spy

Post by Aaron21 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:46 am

Murder by Death wrote:1972 Clue. Hated the plastic rope even as a child, and went out of my way not to suggest it.
And if you don't mind me asking why you hated the plastic rope? :? And why did you go out of your way not to ask for it?!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:09 pm

Haha, i'm sure it's a kid thing. In the same way I would not eat spinach (taste had less to do with it than the way it looked ... And my god it was green!).

As I recall, the plastic rope just looked cheap, especially compared to the metal tokens! The likes of which I had been used to since Monopoly (the first game I ever remember playing). I didn't even like to touch it (it was beneath me, or at least the Clue persona I was playing), so I avoided suggesting it -- unless the evidence was overwhelming that it was the rope -- so I didn't have to move it to a room.

Like I said, just a silly kid thing.

I still hate the plastic rope (though not as vehemently as when I was a kid), and as I have other much nicer options now, I tend not to have to play with it at my house. ;-)

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 pm

The 1996 edition. I remember we always played it incorrectly, as we thought you had to ask people if they had a card once you've entered a room, like Go Fish. I also know we never got Mr. Green as the guilty party. I have no clue what happened to the game, but I absolutely loved it, especially the Mrs. Peacock and Professor Plum cards.

historicchange
Suspect

Post by historicchange » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 pm

1963 Edition :)