Finally got Clue Master Detective!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Aaron21
Spy

Finally got Clue Master Detective!

Post by Aaron21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 am

Finally I got Clue master detective! it earned it's way to my top favorite clue games! except I kind of don't like the way Col.Mustard and Mrs.peacock look. but overall I like the rest of it. I especially like the "snoop" space and you get to choose which card you want to look at them give it back to the player you choose to "snoop" on. I'm so glad I get to add it to my collection. :D

~Aaron*
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 pm

That was my first Clue game that started my collection. I think it'll always be one of the best. They really did a good job with it.

And I LOVE that Mustard and Peacock!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:21 am

You have to let us know your first solution.

MrBoddy2003
Investigator

Post by MrBoddy2003 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:10 am

I Had To Wait SO LONG To Get That
Frankly, Scarlett, I Think You're A Tramp!!!!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 am

I've still got to get one myself. Well I've got the Super Cluedo edition... does that count?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm

WarnerPlum wrote:I've still got to get one myself. Well I've got the Super Cluedo edition... does that count?
It's the same game with some name changes.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

Black wrote: It's the same game with some name changes.
Same game, perhaps, but very different atmosphere. I don't think Super Cluedo every captured that relaxing country-house charm of the original.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Although I don't own the Super Cluedo game, I would agree with that, TheWhitePawn. From what I've seen, while Super Cluedo seems impressive and I still want it, it feels different than Master Detective

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Absolutely. Super Cluedo feels very European, particularly the characters. Personally I don't care for the room cards as much as MDs, but I much prefer the board, which as WhitePawn correctly points out is the opposite of country-charm, and deftly captures a secluded beach house, a la Ten Little Indians, which is what I really like about the Super Cluedo atmosphere. While MD captures the country estate feeling proficiently, something about the overall art direction leaves me wanting. The individual room artwork is nice, but as a whole it doesn't feel cohesive. Either way, two very different games, each worth having. To mix it up a little, I bought the French version of Super Cluedo, which really enhances the European feel and makes it seem like a completely different game. That and the idea of playing a game with a character named Mr. De'ath in the UK edition was more than I could stomach ...

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:09 am

I thought the Super Cluedo made a nice change from the original Cluedo style. Making the murder in a Villa/Mansion somewhere in the Med.

Though there is a small storyline if you think about it. Passport to murder and then the Super Cluedo. But Murder by Death is right on one thing.

Why Mr. De'ath? That's not even a colour. Not to mention that on the box cover of Super Cluedo, there is the newspaper with two of the suspects from Passport to Murder.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Murder by Death wrote:I bought the French version of Super Cluedo, which really enhances the European feel and makes it seem like a completely different game.
I have the German edition, but same idea. As a whole, I think I prefer Master Detective. Not because of the board, but because of the cards. The Super Cluedo cards feel lacking, in my opinion. They feel like very simple vector images that someone threw together in the course of a day. While the MD suspects aren't my favorite, they actually look like someone took the time to paint them.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:39 pm

It's really sad Hasbro hasn't seen fit to re-issue a new version of Master Detective. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm ready for "Buffy Peach", "Ashley Rose", "Bruno Brunette", and "Dylan Gray". And I can't even imagine what new and pointless locations they would substitute for the originals ... beach volleyball court anybody?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:28 am

I think it would be nice to see MD re-released as one of the bookshelf editions, though. I would love to see an MD version similar to the current Barnes and Noble bookshelf game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 pm

You mean the giant edition? I agree ... That's the only way to do MD. I'm not sure how you would fit the expanded board into a bookshelf edition without shrinking it, which wouldn't be too conducive to playing it. But yeah, they could freshen up the original artwork and dated graphics, and it would be great ... As long as they update the overall look of the board the way they did with the Frontgate 1986 edition, and the Restoration Hardware 1949 Bookshelf edition, it will look great!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Re: Finally got Clue Master Detective!

Post by Quadsworth » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Aaron21 wrote:Finally I got Clue master detective!
I just got one too! It feels great to be on such an unfamiliar board. Haven't gotten to play a game yet :(

Aaron21
Spy

Re: Finally got Clue Master Detective!

Post by Aaron21 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Quadsworth wrote:
Aaron21 wrote:Finally I got Clue master detective!
I just got one too! It feels great to be on such an unfamiliar board. Haven't gotten to play a game yet :(
I know how that feels, I haven't played mine either.. I wasn't expecting the box to be so big when I got it! I was kinda surprised! lol :D
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?