Clue comes to Blu Ray this August!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ColJaime
Snoop

Clue comes to Blu Ray this August!

Post by ColJaime » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Very little information as of yet, but apparently Paramount has been teasing their 2012 Blu Ray release schedule and announced Clue for an August release. No specs known at this time. It would be awesome if it's not just a bare bones re-do of the DVD and actually had some substantial extras this time around. I'm not sure we can hope for much, tho, seeing as they let the 25th Anniversary slide past with no fanfare.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8058

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:31 pm

This is great news!!

Clue already exists in HD for broadcast, and has aired in an extremely edited form on various networks.

However, I would be stunned if Paramount doesn't do something for the Blu Ray release, mainly because Blu Ray itself isn't enough to get the average Joe off the couch and into his wallet. I have yet to see a Blu Ray release that didn't have a number of "extras" to differentiate it from the standard DVD release and justify the significant cost of the Blu Ray.

But you're right, overlooking the anniversary was unforgivable.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Murder by Death wrote:I have yet to see a Blu Ray release that didn't have a number of "extras" to differentiate it from the standard DVD release and justify the significant cost of the Blu Ray.
You must not own a lot of Blu-Rays since MOST Blu-Rays don't differenciate from their DVD counterparts. I thought the same thing until I started replacing my entire DVD collection. I am not about 75% finished, and of the Blu-Rays I own, I would say only 20% come with extras that are not on the DVD.

Some notable examples are Gone With The Wind, The Notebook, King Kong, Jurassic Park Trilogy, etc. These are really big movies, but they don't offer anything new on Blu-Ray.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Wow! Thanks for the info. No I don't have any Blu Rays ... In fact I recently unloaded my entire DVD collection after digitizing it. Buying all new movies on iTunes now ...

But most of the films I had been interested in buying had a Blu Ray release with numerous extras, whereas the DVD version was just the film. Saw lots of complaining about that on various forums claiming DVD discrimination from consumers who had not yet upgraded to Blu Ray ... One movie in particular that was the subject of such discussion was the recent Star Trek film which was also Paramount. Guess I assumed too much ...

But I've read numerous articles about how Blu Ray is so much more expensive and has not caught on with consumers as expected causing the studios to put lots of extras in the Blu Ray to encourage adoption of the format. But that probably pertains mostly to new films where that bonus material is readily available. I guess it makes sense just to re-issue library films without any extra material that wasn't on the original DVD, for those who are simply replacing their collection ... Why put more money into a tough selling medium than they have to for a DVD someone may have owned since the 90s and is otherwise not converting to Blu Ray. But at the same time I would think you have to give Blu Ray adopters incentive to upgrade their catalogs ... So I would think putting a little extra on the Blue Ray might encourage this ... Truly a puzzle.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:06 pm

I could see that being an issue. At the same time, though, I usually never end up paying more than $15 per movie. They are getting pretty cheap nowadays. Only a select few (like box-sets) are rather more. I've been noticing significant price drops on blu-ray s on amazon in the past few months, and that's when I really started picking them up more.

Yeah... digital is definitely the future though. I have a massive harddisc where all of my digital copies are stored, but I still can't completely let go of the physical media... not for my favorite films, anyway.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 pm

This is excellent news! :D
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 am

Pre-order now!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/Clue-B ... PDKIKX0DER

This may just be the thing that finally converts me to Blu-ray

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 am

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm

The BluRay is due in a week!!

Who has Pre-ordered their copy to recieve on August 7th? Or will you be headed to your local BluRay dealer?

recoveringxian
Suspect

"Clue" Blu-ray for $13.99!

Post by recoveringxian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:48 pm

If anyone has not ordered and is interested, it appears Family Video has the best pre-order price:

http://www.familyvideo.com/catalog/prod ... _id=402350

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:37 am

I'm excited to add Clue to my slowly growing Blu-ray collection (since getting a player, any movie I've bought has been a BD disc, so it's mostly new releases and a few older titles I bought as combo packs over the past few years). At the same time, I'm not in any rush. There are no new extras to entice me to replace my DVD so quickly. Really, the only thing for me to look forward to is seeing the upgraded picture quality (which can be really thrilling, especially with older movies. The BD release of the silent version of The Phantom of the Opera is amazing in terms of picture quality when compared to the best DVD releases).

You'd think after all this time someone would have dug up the 4th ending, maybe filmed some retrospective interviews, or even put together a little tribute to Madeline Kahn...but no. It's a shame this little gem will never get the same treatment as other cult classics [points to the 2-disc DVD of The Rocky Horror Picture Show].

I, for one, would love a subtitle track to help players keep up with the drinking game based on the movie. But that could just be me... :wink:

I'll probably just stick it on my Christmas-2012 list and hopefully someone in my famility will take the initiative to bundle it with the new board game (assuming it's hit the shelves by then).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Peacock, I'm still holding out hope until it's actually released that we'll get a few extras. There have been no reviews as I think Paramount has not been forthcoming, and this isn't high on anyone's radar. but if the worst comes to pass...

... If there are no extras, the 1080p HD transfer which will appear on this BluRay is already available through iTunes. I'm waiting to see if the $20 BluRay has any additional features, and if not, then I'll buy the iTunes download for $17. Part of the reason is that I don't own a BluRay player, and would use this as an excuse to buy one. The other part is that I have been purging my DVD collection after my last move to a smaller apartment. It just didn't make sense to keep all those DVDs, especially the ones that don't have anything more than the movie and trailers (which can be had on YouTube). So I've been slowly ripping them, or buying the 1080p HD versions of my favorites from iTunes. Makes so much more sense to keep all my movies on a searchable hard drive, or the cloud, which i can view anywhere, rather than shelves full of dusty cases that are forever out of order ...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, the reviews are in ... The movie looks fantastic based on these screen captures, but it's official ... NO EXTRAS!!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=86685

Looks like I will be downloading the iTunes version.

I cannot believe they didn't use this opportunity to add the alternate 4th ending as an extra ... It has to be the single most talked about thing about this movie since it was released. The only thing I can think of, aside from the added expense of locating and restoring the elements (at a minimum it should exist in a finished rough print and I would be happy even if it was in SD and not restored), is that there are actors with dialogue in the 4th ending that may not be in the rest of the film. Theoreticaly this would trigger additional payments to the actors.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:13 pm

I figured. Well I'll still add it to my physical collection. I shoved my DVDs into folders a few years ago to save on space, so my shelves will now boast two largw, black disc binders and a growing lineup of little blue, plastic cases.

Since I'm a big fan of blue [points to screenname and avatar] I'm okay with this. :)
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 22, 2015 9:49 am

Crowd-funded Restoration Project?

If the Clue movie is such a cult classic, beloved by millions, what if we offered Paramount the crowd-sourced funds to find and restore the original deleted scenes, alternate takes, bloopers and missing footage from the film and reissue in a deluxe BluRay? I'm really starting to believe the longer this goes on, the more difficult it's going to be to restore these treasures, not to mention locate things that only the aging original production people will know where to look.

Perhaps Paramount is interested in doing this but it's so far down on its list of priorities that we may not see it for years if ever. But if some investors delivered a bag of cash to Paramount, perhaps they would take notice and cooperate with the project to get it done.

The question for us is, how much would we all be willing to contribute to the project? Would it be possible to raise enough money? We'd have to find a way to get the word out for sure in order to draw enough fans, and that alone would be a challenge.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 am

I'm in!