Barnes & Noble Giant Edition

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Barnes & Noble Giant Edition

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 pm

So I finally received my Giant Clue edition from Barnes & Noble. I'm really glad I got it. The sale price of $65 was well worth it.

First the positives. The board is light, but nicely crafted and is not much larger than a standard game board. It actually seems nicer and more expensive than the Restoration Hardware edition it is based on. The rooms are dark and moody with an expensive looking gloss that is missing from the Franklin Mint and RH editions. What I was not counting on is that the furniture is not attached to the board. It is placed there. So the game can be played with or without the furniture and it works just as well. The cool part is that the furniture can be placed anywhere in the room, not just the center of the room, or for that matter in any room, not just the one it was intended for – somehow I think there must be a way to work this into the game. The furniture itself is solid, attached to glossy black pedestal bases and make cool additions to the game. The instructions even include a section about placing the furniture in the rooms as part of the set up. The tokens and weapons are all nicely crafted out of metal and wood. The weapons set is basically the Limited Gift Edition set, and the cards have been updated to reflect those designs. The cards themselves are nicely oversized and feel truly luxurious. It comes with a really nice accessory box, reminiscent of the large RH game box, but is small enough to actually be useable with the game.

My criticisms are few. The furniture tokens are unfortunately painted with a similar golden/bronze paint to that used on the RH edition. It's too bad they didn't use the shiny gold plastic like that used on Christmas Tree ornaments (or the original Franklin Mint furniture which was is nothing more than this). It would have looked better. However, the resin molds feel weighty and substantial, something plastic tokens wouldn't. The rooms are unfortunately just the Franklin Mint designs flattened onto a 2D board. So unlike a standard board game, there is no depth to the artwork. Furniture lines the walls, but does not extend into the room as it would be depicted had it been custom designed for this type of board. So it looks a little odd if one inspects it too closely. The Colonel Mustard pawn is indeed orange, and the Mrs. White pawn is off-white.

Otherwise, I highly recommend this edition, especially if you can find it on sale. Although the artwork is merely a redress of the Franklin Mint theme, it is implemented in a totally unique way that makes it seem fresh with the novelty accessories. And don't forget they finally fixed the board to reflect the proper number of spaces between the center and the Hall and Ballroom.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:51 am

That is an automatic pistol

They had a service revolver in the same edition why a pistol now?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:04 am

Great... now I want one...

Thanks for posting pictures.

The rooms look awfully strange without the furniture. I suppose it could work without them in every room, though, except the Dining Room.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Michael wrote: I suppose it could work without them in every room, though, except the Dining Room.
And Billiard Room.

Yes I'm rather in the mood for buying one now too!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Black wrote:That is an automatic pistol

They had a service revolver in the same edition why a pistol now?
Winning Solutions is producing all these editions, for RH, Frontgate and B&N, and other retailers. My guess is they have streamlined the product lines in order to increase profitability. Since this is the standard weapons set introduced for the new retro bookshelf editions, they likely decided to make this the standard weapons set across all editions. They have done the same thing with the playing pieces. Since the metal tokens are likely the most expensive part of these games, by using the same tokens for all editions, economy of scale makes them much less expensive. Changing the artwork is a pretty simple thing to do. The knife artwork has also been changed to the late 1960s "Bowie Knife" design (which differs from the original 50s design in that the tip is blunted following toy safety reforms in the US at the time).

Speaking of the knife, the interesting part about this is that despite changing the Franklin Mint artwork to better match the tokens used in these new derivative editions, is that they persist in using the original 1949 "butter knife" design in their "nostalgia" derivative bookshelf editions despite the fact it doesn't match in any way the "Bowie knife" token they include with the game. How hard would it have been to update the card as I have done here? It's not as if they are going for accuracy (like the 1949 re-issue) especially in the RH edition.

Image Image

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:34 pm

The Exquisite collection version which a lot of people want to have. The cards themselves are nicely oversized and feel truly luxurious. It comes with a really nice accessory box, reminiscent of the large RH game box, but is small enough to actually be useable with the game.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:05 pm

I just picked this up, today at my local B&N on "Clearance." 75% off, not bad at all!

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Got mine for $25 today too. I probably won't open it for a while (moving in about a week), but after seeing Murder by Death's awesome pictures, I really wanted it.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Wow!! $25 ... Amazing. Hard to believe it's still $99 at the B&N online store ...

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 pm

I would see if they offer some kind of price guarantee... Maybe you can make up the difference.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I can't find this anywhere near me. Too bad. I'd definitely pay $25 for one.

A Touch of Murder
Snoop

Post by A Touch of Murder » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:13 am

This is looks hideously cheap... Im so glad I have the authentic Franklin Mint edition!

Enough with these counterfit editions and boring reproductions!!!! We need NEW Clue game art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:51 am

I completely agree!