New Restoration Hardware Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

New Restoration Hardware Clue Game

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 am

Like Frontgate's product from last Christmas, it has a nice vintage Bookshelf box. I do like the muted color scheme, and the metal accents. All things considered this appears to be based on the early editions, using the original 1949 board design, 1963 box Logo, and 1956 weapons set, with a metal rope, first introduced by Winning Moves. Not really sure it's worth the $69 price tag ... Just not enough new or unique about it.

Of course this was already shown a year ago as a product marketed by Winning Solutions http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... 644#114644 , but now we see who bought it, as well as the subtle design changes RH ordered from the original prototypes.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/cata ... cat1720003[/img]
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:19 am

Why do they picture two candlesticks in the second picture?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 am

They also have two Greens and Whites.

Display purposes I suppose.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:43 pm

CluedoKid wrote:They also have two Greens and Whites.

Display purposes I suppose.
Wouldn't have been better to use the originals then?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm

The pawn bases seem unnaturally thick. I sort of like the whitish color box, but it would probably get dirty pretty easily. Definitely can't have cheetoh snacks during the Clue party...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Michael wrote:Definitely can't have cheetoh snacks during the Clue party...
No one was EVER allowed to eat snacks during a game of Clue(do) under my watch.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 pm

cacums wrote:
Michael wrote:Definitely can't have cheetoh snacks during the Clue party...
No one was EVER allowed to eat snacks during a game of Clue(do) under my watch.
Same here, only between games.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:56 am

Michael, I am SHOCKED that you'd allow the eating of snacks whilst playing Clue(do)!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:21 am

I can't even remember the last time I played a real game of Clue...

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 am

Same here.

Life has been so scattered lately

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am

Haha! Same here. Actually, I think I do, and it's probably been five years

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Restoration Hardware is running a 20% off everything sale 11/10-11/14 in stores and online. Drops the price of the Clue game down to $55 Still pricey, but hey it's not $69!

Use FFP2011 when checking out to get the discount.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:40 pm

I played around with the Restoration Hardware game for a few minutes in the store today. While I personally don't like it - it feels like it came out of a garage sale - I think the store has really done a great job making the game fit their brand image with the whole sort of rustic chic look. It goes really well with their current line of products. At least they're thinking it through instead of just throwing something out there with no rhyme or reason.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm

I got to see all 3 new CLUE games up close today: the grey Restoration Hardware game, the green/brown edition, and the oversized Franklin Mint edition, the latter two of which were at Barnes and Noble.

Now... I only got to see the inside of the Restoration Hardware edition, but the green/brown edition looked identical except for the color scheme.

The jumbo board game sadly doesn't look any good. It appears that the same ugly brown plastic molds were used for the game, only this time the furniture sits on a black base which is attached to the room... I wouldn't put it past them to have used the same spray-painted weapons as well. Definite pass.

As for the bookshelf edition, at $50, the green/brown edition is $20 cheaper than the RH grey edition. While not even worth $50, it IS a lovely game that I would happily pay $30 for. The pieces are VERY heavy. I was immediately impressed by their weight. And the colors on the board were very nice. I like the toned down saturation. It also looks like the cards and pencils come in their own cardboard boxes. While that is certainly not extravagant, it's nice that those pieces won't be sliding around all over the place inside the game box...

I shall wait for it to go down in price and only snatch it up then.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:42 pm

This is amazing ... So Barnes and Nobel are basically selling the same game for a $20 discount?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toys-ga ... &usri=clue

It's curious that they also have the giant clue game too, it sounds like from your description that despite the winning solutions photos, that they chose the cheap route. For $99 it is a nice alternative to the $199 Frontgate deluxe board. http://www.frontgate.com/clue-3a-frontg ... ion/392320

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/toys-ga ... &usri=clue

Interestingly it looks like Winning Soloutions now sells directly to the public for $20 more ...

http://www.winningsolution.com/premium- ... d-edition/

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Very nice, the only problem is that Mustard is more Orange then Yellow.

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:03 am

Wait...so, the $199 deluxe (RH) and the $99 deluxe (B&N).. Are they exactly the same? Or is the $99 one smaller and/or use much cheaper materials?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm rather startled that an average Clue game is priced at $30.

I remember going to walmart with $10 and that being sufficient.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Frostbyte wrote:Wait...so, the $199 deluxe (RH) and the $99 deluxe (B&N).. Are they exactly the same? Or is the $99 one smaller and/or use much cheaper materials?
No, apologies for any confusion ... There are four classic holiday games in this discussion:

RH - custom bookshelf style game $69
B&N - bookshelf style game (similar but different than RH) $49 ($59 direct from Winning Solutions)
B&N - X-large gameboard (different than Frontgate) ... No glass top or 3D rooms $99 ($119 direct from winning solutions)
Frontgate - like the original RH FM knock-off wood-box, glass-covered edition with some modifications $199
cacums wrote:I'm rather startled that an average Clue game is priced at $30.
I remember going to walmart with $10 and that being sufficient.
Not sure I agree with this entirely. True there are no $10 editions of Clue anymore, except possibly on sale. But that's generally true of most things with inflation, there are no $10 Monopoly or Scrabble games either. However, the average price of a standard Clue game is somewhere around $18, if you don't take into account these deluxe editions. DTS sells for about $16.50 at Target, and the classic wood boxed edition for $20. Everything else falls into the themed editions (24, Spies, Family Guy, et al), or deluxe. Even the Winning Moves Classic edition is priced around $20 at most stores, and online deals bring most of these special editions into the same price range.

Still not $10, but hardly $30. Even in the mid-90s when the Franklin Mint and Winning Moves editions came out, they were equally as expensive as those being discussed in this thread (especially when adjusting for inflation), or more, compared to the editions you could pick up at Wal-Mart. Even in the 2000's when there were more special editions than you could keep up with, they were often priced at a minimum three to four times as much as the basic game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:51 pm

The biggest problem I have is that they seem to simply be recycling the same designs over and over yet charging premium prices. If you wanna charge $30+ for an edition, then give us some new artwork ... Make it worth the price!

The best new edition in the last 10 years was the Frontgate bookshelf edition based on the 1986 game. It was a fresh re-issue, with some nice re-styling. But it was still a pre-existing design. The original price of $60 was just too much. When it ended up on sale for $25, that was about right. Hopefully, they don't continue to follow suit and offer re-dressings of that edition year after year for a premium as well.

Is it really so hard to create some original artwork based on the classic design?