The Cars

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

The Cars

Post by Lord Caspen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm

This topic should move pretty quickly, especially if we have a classic car expert around these parts, but here it is:

Can anyone here identify the ten different cars (Wadsowrth, Scarlet, Plum, Green, White, Mustard, Boddy, Motorist, Cop, and Peaock) we see by year, make, and model? Or at least by make and model?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 am

I once saw the answer to this online, but for the life of me can't find it now. It was some website that was dedicated to identifying cars in movies.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 am

found it: http://www.imcdb.org/movie_88930-Clue.html

I can't tell if the mg td is white's or mustard's. I'm guessing mustard. One is missing.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:27 am

I think the MG TD is Mrs. White's. If you click on the picture and look closer, it's pretty obvious that it's black and white. That would leave Mustard's as the missing car.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:43 am

Green wrote:I think the MG TD is Mrs. White's. That would leave Mustard's as the missing car.
And Mr. Boddy.

Most definitely Mrs. White's car is an MG, if it is one. The size is a dead giveaway. I would have loved to see her get out of that car with that huge cape she was wearing.

Odd they skipped Mustard's and Boddy's cars as they were some of the most clearly seen, parked right in front of the door.

However, I believe Mustard is appropriately driving a 1954 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible based on the hood and grill (but since the grills of the Cadillac models were so similar over a wide period of time, based on what we actually see of Mustards car it could be any of several models from several years). I also think Boddy is driving a Coupe De Ville, also appropriate, based on the side, trunk fins and logo. However, it looks like Boddy's Cadillac is a 1956 model, Based on the rear bumper, which of course would not be possible.
http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/phocad56.htm as compared to a more appropriate http://www.car-nection.com/yann/dbas_txt/Phocad54.htm

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't know, they all look the same to me!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:46 pm

WarnerPlum wrote:I don't know, they all look the same to me!
You mean Boddy's? It's definitely a Coupe if not a De Ville, and the bumper is definitely '56, NOT a '54, or even a '55 which might have been possible as model years typically came out in the Fall of the previous year.

Mustard is definitely in a Cadillac Convertible from this time period, if not an El Dorado from what we see of it (I give both Boddy & Mustard the benefit of the doubt that they would be driving the Cadillacs of Cadillacs considering their affluence, even if we don't know exactly).
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Nicely done!

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:08 pm

This is fantastic! Thank you, everyone. I admit, I used to think, "Oh, you know, cars these days, for the most part, have no real identity, no individual style.". It had,kt occurred to me this might have been a phenomenon of mass manufacture since the industry began.

As regards Boddy's car, I had somewhere picked up the idea his was a Fleetwood.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Nicely done!

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:As regards Boddy's car, I had somewhere picked up the idea his was a Fleetwood.
And it very well could be from the rear fin details as you yourself observed were identical from model to model. But it would still be a '56 at the earliest because of the bumper.

Of course the main reason it couldn't be a Fleetwood is because it only has two doors as seen form the side in the Motorist's scene at the door. Without that it very well could be.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Is it possible that this is Colonel Mustard's car int he foreground?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 pm

cacums wrote:Is it possible that this is Colonel Mustard's car int he foreground?

Yeah. I always thought that was Mustard's car too. It looks more tan than yellow, but it could be the lighting.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Yes

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:17 pm

It definitely is. In the moment when we see from a distance Green waiting under cover of the porch, we get a much better view of that car, and it is yellow in color, though a pale yellow. A kind of thick cream color.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:57 pm

yeah the only car not at the house should be scarlet's because it's on the side of the road.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!