Favorite Version of Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Favorite Clue Version

Poll ended at Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm

1949/50/56
0
No votes
1963
1
7%
1972/79
5
33%
1986/89
0
No votes
1992
4
27%
1996/97
5
33%
2002
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
ajk93
Snoop
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Chicago

Favorite Version of Clue

Post by ajk93 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:39 pm

What's your guys' favorite edition of US Clues.
I'm only counting the standards. It's an overall vote,
not if you like the pieces to one, or the cards of another.
So, what do you all think?

EDIT: OK i'm positive, I included DTS in the poll!!! But it's
not even listed. Does anyone know if it's possible to edit
a poll? If not, put it in your post if you vote for 2008's DTS.
I'll include it when the poll finishes.

User avatar
Frostbyte
Slueth
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Frostbyte » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:57 pm

The 70's version was my first, it was in our house before I was born. So it's mostly nostalgia, but also I love the use of real actors over other drawn suspects.
Last edited by Frostbyte on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
ajk93
Snoop
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Chicago

Post by ajk93 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Frostbyte wrote:I love the use of real actors over other drawn suspects.
Couldn't Agree w/u more. I love the real people. I also love the real weapon cards, and the ominously plain board. I learned to play Clue at my Grandpa's house w/a '72 edition, so it's really special (even though I was born in'93).

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17434
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I vote 1992. I love it's elegant design. My first edition was actually 1996 but the 1992 edition was advertised on the back and I couldn't help thinking how much better it looked in comparison.
Image

User avatar
TheWhitePawn
Yeggman
Posts: 2453
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Hiding...

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:03 am

I wonder how this will turn out. 1992 was the winner 3 years ago...

http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... tes+change
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11186
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 am

My vote has not changed. The 70's is still one of my favorites. It is so elegant and simple. :)

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17434
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:43 am

TheWhitePawn wrote:I wonder how this will turn out. 1992 was the winner 3 years ago...

http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... tes+change
Looks like its tied with 1972 now.

Somebody must have added an extra vote...
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17434
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 am

cacums wrote:My vote has not changed. The 70's is still one of my favorites. It is so elegant and simple. :)
The 1970's edition is my second favourite aesthetically. However, it's the one I'm most inclined to pull out for a game. It sets the mood.
Image

User avatar
Frostbyte
Slueth
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Frostbyte » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:45 am

That was my bad lol. I had to vote to see the results.
Image

PeachFreak
Highbinder
Posts: 4939
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:54 pm
Location: New York

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm still attached to my 1996 version. So, nostalgia and a general like of the design makes it my favorite. Regular edition at least. I'm more likely to pull out Hitchcock or Master Detective, though.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

User avatar
ajk93
Snoop
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Chicago

Post by ajk93 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I should mention that the poll is up for 30 days. I hope this motivates people to vote.
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2625
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Favorite Version of Clue

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:39 pm

ajk93 wrote:What's your guys' favorite edition of US Clues. I'm only counting the standards. It's an overall vote, not if you like the pieces to one, or the cards of another. So, what do you all think?
I think that any decision is going to made on some aspect of the favorite game you suggest we limit to one. I prefer the 1972 game because of the suspects and the box cover vignette. I do not care for the weapons, and the rooms and board are a little dated, aspects of which even bothered me when it was the only clue game I knew existed. Others are going to make similar choices.

Also, you have lumped the 1972 edition in with the 1979 edition, the main difference being the card backs, which you say we cannot pick and choose between. I do not prefer the 1979 edition for that reason. So it's not fair. Also, you have lumped the 1949/50 in with the '56 game, which has a major difference in box art ... Does that count as part of the game? If so you've forced another choice, based on criteria you don't allow. You have also left the significantly updated 1960 version off altogether. And as long as I am being nitpicky, there is a major difference in the 1949 & 1950 games, being that the ALL the weapons tokens ACTUALLY match the weapons cards. And for me that is no small detail, yet you prohibit us from selecting that even though it is not supposed to be part of your criteria. Oh, and the 1956 edition introduced the plastic rope which may be a deal breaker for some. And I prefer the original 1949 instructions to the 1950 edition, so there's another reason to choose it over the latter one, or are those acceptable factors?

Also, there is no 1997 edition. It's copyright is 1998. And there's also a 2005 edition that similarly corresponds to the 2002 edition, if you are trying to be complete (which it seems you are by including the 1986/89 editions which are virtually indistinguishable), though there are no substantive differences between either, unless you count the quad board format as a choice between the 1996 & 1998 editions (again there is no 1997 edition).
ajk93 wrote:put it in your post if you vote for 2008's DTS. I'll include it when the poll finishes.
DTS is NOT a standard edition of Clue, by your original criteria. It is a Spin-off with "advanced" rules, and does not belong in such a poll, regardless if Hasbro has issued another "standard" edition since 2005. It's apple and oranges. Period.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
ajk93
Snoop
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Chicago

Post by ajk93 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Sorry for making it difficult for you to choose.
To be honest, I just made it as a test for my first poll.
I just meant it to be more general. I am aware of the
differences you're referring to. I meant to add DTS because
some people said they do like it (I don't know why :D), and
because it is technically our new version, you can't go out to
the store and pick up a classic Clue made by Hasbro.
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2625
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:38 pm

ajk93 wrote:because it is technically our new version, you can't go out to
the store and pick up a classic Clue made by Hasbro.
I don't agree. The absence of "classic" Clue does not make DTS by default "our new version". It only makes it A new version of Clue. Not THE new version of Clue.

There mere fact that Hasbro has not specifically said whether or not DTS replaces the previous incarnation, nor have they commented on whether there will be any new editions of the previous format, confirms that DTS is not officially a direct replacement for the 2005 edition, which I still saw on store shelves until last Christmas. All I need to know really is that the new Clue has a subtitle: Discover the Secrets, which is totally atypical from every standard game before it, yet fits perfectly with every spin-off game title.

Moreover, you can go out and buy a Hasbro produced edition of regular classic Clue. It simply does not come in a large cardboard box, but rather in a wooden case. For now, this is what Hasbro is offering, and yes the 2009 edition is a totally new release with new box art, and the board and card art, which may be derivative of the 1963 edition, is totally new since 2005. You may not classify it as standard, but it is still being actively produced, and updated with fresh design changes. Also, the 2006 Clue Bookshelf edition (based on the 2002 release) was sold at numerous locations, including Barnes & Nobel, last Christmas, a year after DTS was released.

I also wonder why K-Mart is selling the 1998 edition as a New Item for the same price as DTS then?

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... ockType=G4

And then there's the licensed edition by Winning Moves - definitely a standard edition with new design. Who is to say that Hasbro isn't continuing to manufacture the classic game via their licensees, as they focus their resources on the new spin-off games like DTS, Secrets and Spies, Secrets in Paris, and their gift editions? And if DTS were intended to replace classic Clue, why isn't the brand-new, luxury Frontgate edition licensed to Winning Solutions who made them, based on DTS? Why grant classic Clue licnses at all, much less allow copyrighted artwork to be updated and used? No, classic Clue is alive and well and available through many of your favorite retailers.

One of these things is not like the other and DTS is the white elephant in the room. Until Hasbro officially announces DTS is the successor to the "standard" Clue legacy, it remains a spinoff and a totally different game than the any manufactured prior to 2008 and as such does not belong in a poll of "standard" editions.

User avatar
ajk93
Snoop
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Chicago

Post by ajk93 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:09 am

OK, did not mean to offend you. I too like multiple parts and different things about other games...I just wanted to post a Poll :D

I heard people say they like DTS, and since you can't really get a new standard one anymore, I had planned on including it....that's all!
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"

User avatar
TheWhitePawn
Yeggman
Posts: 2453
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Hiding...

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 am

Murder by Death, don't insult the new guy!

Don't worry about it, ajk. It's just that none of us on these forums really care for DTS. Many of us have been on here for years before they even announced the reinvention, so it was an extreme disappointment when it was finally revealed after so much waiting and anticipation for a new game.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2625
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Don't mean to insult anyone. :wink:

Just stating facts. Calling DTS a "standard" game is like calling Master Detective a "standard" game. But I doubt anybody thought MD was going to replace the standard edition in 1988, or make the additional characters permanent additions. It was clearly a spinoff.

Granted in those days, there was only one option for traditional Clue/do. Over the last decade, there have been over a dozen licensed themed versions, as well as a similar number of "official" issue repackaged traditional editions. So who is to say that the Vintage Library Bookshelf edition, or the other licensed classic versions of Clue/do are NOT the intended "standard" versions of Clue/do available now?

The fact remains, DTS is NOT "standard" Clue/do for all of the reasons I have made clear above. It is a spin-off. Period. Include it in a poll of "standard" editions if you want, I'm just saying it doesn't match the criteria.

As for limiting the poll to entire games as a whole, and not this part, or that ... my ONLY point there was that most of us will likely choose a version based on some specific aspect of it anyway, since I get the feeling from reading most of the member's posts that none of us think any edition gets it 100% right. In fact if anybody thinks any edition gets it 50% right, I'd be surprised.

Cluedo is harsh mistress, ajk93, which can fuel it's devotees passions and drive them to extremes. Perhaps even, dare I say ... to MURDER!! :shock: :D

User avatar
Frostbyte
Slueth
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Frostbyte » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:44 pm

well....

It's true Hasbro never explicitly said DTS is the new standard version. However, The fact that if you walk in to any Toys R Us, Target or Wal*Mart (or Hasbro.com) and look in the game section, you will only see DTS as the Clue game being offered.

I'm glad to see that Kmart has some remainder stock of the the '98 edition they are still selling, and that winning-moves sees that there is still a market for more classic versions. But the sad reality is that Hasbro probably considers DTS the new standard edition.

That being said, I honestly believe they will eventually drop it and restore the classic game to mainstream toy store shelves. How long will it take? How knows... but I hope it's not too much longer.
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2625
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Frostbyte wrote: The fact that if you walk in to any Toys R Us, Target or Wal*Mart (or Hasbro.com) and look in the game section, you will only see DTS as the Clue game being offered.
Technically speaking yes. But thats not true for Target, where there is a clear alternative, and just like to original 2002 Nostalgia box, Target may lose their exclusivity this year and become available everywhere. TheWhitePawn may be right and a Nostalgia Clue tin may hit shelves everywhere next year. Also, Hasbro.com still offers the Classic Clue PC game, so its not like it doesn't have a presence there.
Frostbyte wrote:That being said, I honestly believe they will eventually drop it and restore the classic game to mainstream toy store shelves..
I don't have as much faith. The current situation is similar to the New Coke/Classic Coke debacle in the 80s. But unlike that situation, Hasbro will always try to pander to the new generation's influences. If anything I expect them to push even further away from the traditional Clue, as they have done with Monopoly. But like Monopoly, Hasbro understands the value of Nostalgia and brand recognition to older generations. So they will keep the "Classic" line active along side the DTS series, and with any luck we will get some brand new artwork for the Classic editions along the way, similarly to how the Franklin Mint got totally different artwork alongside the Hasbro standard edition.

As long as there is a traditional alternative, then DTS is NOT "standard" Clue, for the simple reason that it does not play the same way.

User avatar
go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man
Posts: 4811
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:08 pm
Location: Somewhere in Canada, eh?

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:01 pm

My personal favourite is the '96 version. It got me introduced to Clue, and I suppose that might explain why I'm so attatched to it.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Post Reply