Clue: Murder at Sea

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

munitzer
Can Opener

Clue: Murder at Sea

Post by munitzer » Sat May 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Using the latest Clue game as a template, I have decided to adapt the concept of a murder on a yacht. Yes, my AutoShapes and Google-found suspects, weapons, and rooms are back. I know that they have all been very missed.

There are a few aspects of the game that I would like to explain.

First off, it uses the traditional die-rolling to move about the board and from room to room.

Secondly, the victim is always set: it will always be Mr. Boddy.

Thirdly, players choose to play as Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, or Professor Plum.

Additionally, Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. White, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, and Professor Plum are not suspects.

The ratio of suspects, weapons, and crime scenes will be 8:8:11.

This is my first concept for the board.

Since I am not using my computer, I may have to display updates using a font different from the one currently displayed, but the final version will use that font.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat May 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Ooh, I like it! It definitely sounds promising. :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Love it! Can't wait to see who the suspects are. I alos really love this board style, reminiscent of Passport to Murder and The White Pawn's airship game designs.

Though with all deference to card game, the at-random victim is not an actual requirement of the game, as it changes the way the game is played in no way whatsoever. Nevertheless I think it's kind of a fun switch-up from the standard method of play for the last 60 years.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat May 22, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Rooms

Post by Lord Caspen » Sat May 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Well, I already really like the look of it. I'm curious, though, what the Map Room and the State Room are.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Rooms

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 22, 2010 11:57 pm

Lord Caspen wrote: I'm curious, though, what the Map Room and the State Room are.
I believe the map room here is essentially equivalent to the Navigation room, i.e. where the maps are kept, as it is located next to the bridge. However, considering it is opposite the salon, it could also be the captain's private suite which has a table for entertaining as well as spreading out his maps.

A stateroom is what the sleeping quarters or cabins are called on a ship. The term can imply a private accommodation, or nicer amenities, sea views, etc.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sun May 23, 2010 8:02 am

Whereas I am typically an advocate for a random victim (and I agree with your points), there were 3 reasons I decided to have Mr. Boddy as the set victim:

- since this is set on a ship (albeit a yacht) I felt that 15 people (6 detectives + 8 suspects + 1 victim) on a yacht at a given time was plenty. I mean, there are other decks (which is how I justify the original 6 not being suspected), but 8 people on one deck and the bridge - to me - is about the maximum I'd be willing to accept before assuming that someone saw something. Adding any more possible victims seemed to put too many bodies on the boat. Yes, there could be a separate deck of victim cards (as I had originally planned and have used in other games), but I felt that a set victim was more appropriate for this particular game.
- If the victim was to be selected from the suspects (as I have also done), that would leave me with 7 possible suspects, and I am not a fan of odd numbers of suspects or weapons. I did it in Clue Blueprints, and I'm no fan of it. I just don't like that that leads to a skewed gender ratio.
- Thirdly, it's been a long time since I've made a game or written a mystery where Mr. Boddy has been the victim. I feel that I've been neglecting him.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sun May 23, 2010 11:08 am

I apologize that the font did not transfer well when I made this a png. I will try to get it to be clearer in the future. These cards are my first attempts. I may make a switch here or there for pictures if I find clearer, more pertinent ones.

The Suspects

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I wasn't banking on a warm reception with this unveiling, so unleash your critiques and comments.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Mon May 24, 2010 3:48 pm

I have posted the edited cards.

I will hopefully be able to work on the board soon, adding in doors and fixing the bathroom's label.

Lord Oakwood
Snoop

Post by Lord Oakwood » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Mrs. Silver reminds me of more of a Mrs. Peacock

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I always pictured Catherine Zeta-Jones as Scarlet.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:06 am

Scarlet and Peacock aren't even suspects in this. They are the detectives. The cards munitzer posted are of the suspects. :roll:

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed May 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Adam106 wrote:Scarlet and Peacock aren't even suspects in this. They are the detectives. The cards munitzer posted are of the suspects. :roll:
I knew that. I was just saying I pictured CZ-J as Miss Scarlet, that's all.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:19 pm

The Weapons

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Great! I particularly love the wrench.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Thank you. All of the time I put into looking for those pictures has now been validated.

As a side note, the body of Mr. Boddy was found floating behind the yacht. This is why the knife, pistol, rope, wrench, and other weapons could all be suspected. It was evident that he was murdered. The detectives had to find out how because they couldn't examine the body. The detectives had to find out where because the body could easily have been dragged from somewhere on the yacht and tossed over the railing.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Very nice. Never heard of a Gaff before.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:06 pm

The weapons are great with the exception of the gaff and harpoon. The other weapons are have more of a dramatic flare whereas those two weapons just seem "dead" in comparison. Nothing looks sinister or even deadly about them.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:56 pm

The gaff is ok, but the harpoon is a little off. It looks like you have to plug it into the wall and charge it before you use it.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:42 pm

The Locations

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Great, though the map room looks more like a library.