Clue: Murder in Milton-on-Hyde (New Web Series)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu May 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Well I recognize Timothy Spall as Green. (But don't scrap him!)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 28, 2010 9:43 am

Don't worry, I'm keeping him. I always thought he would make a good Green and I was lucky enough to find a great picture.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Fri May 28, 2010 1:28 pm

You don't recognize them? Timothy Spall, Kirsten Dunst, Ian Somerholder, Bryce Dallas Howard, Helena Bonham-Carter. These are A-list stars haha. Peacock looks familiar as well, but I can't quite place her. I'm not complaining though, I think you've made some great picks.

I just wanted to say that I don't think you should be too influenced by everyone else's opinions. Maybe you want the Romeo-on-a-motorcycle look for Brunette. It's certainly a fresh take on his character. Who cares if you use stars or no-names or a mix? If the person looks and feels right, use 'em! Just keep in mind that this is your project. :)

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Actually yes, that is what I wanted for Brunette. Not neccessarily Romeo on a motorbike, just more of a sexy bad boy, village rebel type who is also a foreign immigrant. I want the characters to be quite diverse.

Thank you very much for the nice comments and help. :) If I can't find any better pictures, I'll probably just end up using the ones I've got. I can't help get the feeling, though, that there must be something a little better.

Glad you like my choices and glad you recognise most of them lol!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm going for a slightly different White.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Green wrote:You don't recognize them? Timothy Spall, Kirsten Dunst, Ian Somerholder, Bryce Dallas Howard, Helena Bonham-Carter. These are A-list stars haha.
"A-list" is different from "leading actor". Spall is most definitely a character actor, "A-list" or not. I dont recognize Dunst in character, is she Peach? I actually didn't realize that the first group were still in candidacy, I thought the second group replaced them. Now I understand, and yes, I recognize Somerholder and Bonham-Carter and think they are wrong for Clue (unless it is supposed to be a celebrity all-star edition, in which case, everyone should be a leading actor). I don't really know Bryce Dallas Howard, but perhaps that is a generational thing. Not really into the Twilight saga.

Therefore, White doesn't really do it for me either. ANd going back to the first set, neither does Mr. Boddy ... and Mustard is stretching it, but OK.

But as Green points out, this is your game and they can be anybody you want them to be. My personal taste would be to go for "characters" rather than such identifiable leads. And most importantly for me, that all the pictures look like they were prepared for the same edition, i.e. they all look like they fit together. The White pic stands out like sore thumb.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm not into the Twilight saga either. I'm basically using Howard and Dunst because both are in Spider-Man - which I love. Somerhalder was a rather random choice, I agree. I'm not using him anyway.

I'll make some edits and remove the cards that are definitely out. I apologize for the confusion.

I definitely wanted to use Bonham-Carter and Spall as I'm a Tim Burton film fan.

It's difficult for me to find any other decent White's. They all seem so out of context with the others. Oh well. Thanks for your honest feedback!

The 'definites':

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Fri May 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Bryce Dallas Howard is known for her leading roles in The Village, Lady in the Water, and Spider-Man 3. I didn't even know she was in Twilight until you mentioned it. (I haven't seen Twilight myself.)

I also think it's silly to decide that someone is "wrong for Clue." There are so many different interpretations of these characters and this story, how is it anyone's place to make such a decision except the designer's? Even Victor Plum from Discover the Secrets is "right for Clue" because of the mood and theme the designers were striving for. I just think that's a ridiculous statement. Perhaps they're wrong for your traditional Clue, but they could be perfect for someone else's. I particularly think Bonham-Carter is a great choice for a Clue character.

To Adam106: I forgot to mention that I absolutely love your choice for Dr. Black. Brilliant.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Thank you, Green. I'm glad you like Dr. Black.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 pm

there was a debate over using actors and actresses as Clue characters without me? I'm shocked.

I would say, if you find a picture that captures the essence and nuances of Clue in your eyes, then put it in your game. Post to show off your work, not seeking to please everyone else. I think that your selections are great because they are not the cut-and-dry traditional stock selections. I find myself drawn to them to see what direction you take them. Enough with the Brunettes with eye patches and fake accents. Let us see the Clue that you see.

To single one out, I really like Mrs. White because your take on her seems so drastically different than a housekeeper/cook.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Green wrote:I just think that's a ridiculous statement. Perhaps they're wrong for your traditional Clue, but they could be perfect for someone else's..
You seem to want to pick a fight Green. How can anything I write be anything but my opinion in any case? And I felt as though I went out of my way in every post to indicate that my comments reflected MY personal taste, not my will I intended to impose on anyone else. But feel free to have that argument with yourself, because I completely agree with you.

And Adam106, I am also in agreement with Green about Dr. Black. He is my favorite, then Green. And something about the poses of those specific 6 are fantastic.

And munitzer, you hit the nail on the head, if I did not make it apparent enough with my comments. I do think White is a perfect adaptation of the character, but my beef with this game is with the quality of the photo, it stands out from the rest. I personally would strive to make them all of the same quality as I stated above. In fact I think she can be salvaged if the photo is de-rezed a little, but I don't know the technical capabilities of Adam106.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm not sold on Mrs. White. If it weren't for her caption, I'd think she'd be Mrs. Peacock.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Fri May 28, 2010 9:37 pm

As I am viewing this thread on a phone, the pictures all appear at the same quality to me, hence why I mistook quality for cohesion.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Sat May 29, 2010 1:54 am

Murder by Death, I think I was reacting to what seems to be the opinion of the forum as a whole, not you individually. Everyone around here is always attacking choices people make and I just don't see any reason for it. A particular member does this a lot, and it's not you, so I'm really sorry. I wasn't meaning to pick a fight.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:01 am

I apolgize for this debate. :( I guess you're right in the fact that I can't please everyone, it's just that I value others' feedback because I want to make this as good as possible.
Still, I can't find any other decent pictures. I'll keep looking. But, I'm glad you like the "definites", it's just the others I need to sort out.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat May 29, 2010 9:33 am

Its hard to find a handful of actors from the right era you are looking for. It is very stressful, but the harder work you put into it, the more people will enjoy the time and effort you put into your website.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Adam106 wrote:I apolgize for this debate.
Nothing to apologize for. You asked for feedback and you got it ;-) what we quibble over among ourselves is irrelevant to your project.

But cacums is right. There are so many "Google image" games on these forums that the more care you take, the better your game will be, regardless of whether any, or all of us like it.

We all have preferences, it's up to you to decide whether you like any of our ideas better than your own, or even if you want to put in that much work for an enjoyable diversion.

And Green, no worries. I understand folks around here get a little heated about "their Clue". But at the end of the day, all anybody expresses here is merely opinion, no matter how emphatically stated. If Cluedo really had objective irrefutable properties, then there might be some point to debate, but as "art", even Anthony Pratt wouldn't have a legitimate objection to interpretations made to his game today, any more than Paul McCartney has to someone else re-interpreting the Beatles' songs.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Okay, I've basically scrapped using celebrities. Instead I'll be using oil paintings, suggested to me by cacums

The MD guys are done:

(Please pardon the shodiness of the pic, it's all the cards together on one image hence the slight awkwardness. I'll be giving each card an individual image sometime tomorrow.)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:40 pm

I do like those! Especially Gray, Scarlet, Green and Rose.

However, out of personal taste, I'd swap Peacock and White. The picture for Mrs. White just screams Peacock, and vise versa. It would even work better colour-wise.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:00 pm

Thank you, CluedoKid! :)