Clue: Murder in Milton-on-Hyde (New Web Series)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Clue: Murder in Milton-on-Hyde (New Web Series)

Post by Adam106 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:07 pm

With the strong help and encouragement of cacums, I have decided to create my own Clue soap/series. It will be set in 1949 in small seaside town.

Here's the site but please pardon it's bareness at the minute, it's pretty rough.

http://cluemurderinmilton-on-hyde.weebly.com/index.html

Anyway, here are some of the definite cards I'll be using. I am aware that they're not the best but they are were pretty good finds considering the time period. Some of them contrast horribly, some better than others. This is why I wanted to get your guys' opinions just to let me know if I'm going in a wrong direction and if you could give any better examples.

They are not all completed yet.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I'll explain the roles of the Perkins' later. There will be several non-coloured characters; these are non-suspected, recurring characters, some of whom will be murdered.

I would really appreciate anybody's feedback, good or bad. This is my newest Clue project. I've done way too many TV-styled mysteries already.
Last edited by Adam106 on Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu May 13, 2010 6:45 pm

I am very interested to see where you go with this. It shows definite promise.

Since I don't know the nuances of your characters, I can't make a judgement on any of them one way or another. You were generally consistent in your selections. The only advice I could say would be to not worry about making the dimensions of all the pictures the same. Either crop or resize each picture so that it looks its best. For example, Mrs. Peacock seems stretched horizontally, at least to me.

I'm not an expert on 1940s fashion, so I can't say specifically if any of them stand out. I like them and look forward to following this.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu May 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Miss Peach is fabulous, though I'm getting a very 20s vibe from her, rather than 40s.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:20 pm

I can't tell the time period. I like the selections individually, but they don't really seem to go together. For example, Peacock and Peach seem great, but Peacock seems very turn of the century, whereas Peach is very 20s.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:53 pm

I really like the cards you've made. All the suspects look very classy, yet some of them has that campy feel too. As others has said, it's hard determining the time period, but I've always found that setting Clue in an ambigous world where the era is vague worked for me.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes :)
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 am

munitzer wrote:I am very interested to see where you go with this. It shows definite promise.

Since I don't know the nuances of your characters, I can't make a judgement on any of them one way or another. You were generally consistent in your selections. The only advice I could say would be to not worry about making the dimensions of all the pictures the same. Either crop or resize each picture so that it looks its best. For example, Mrs. Peacock seems stretched horizontally, at least to me.

I'm not an expert on 1940s fashion, so I can't say specifically if any of them stand out. I like them and look forward to following this.
Thank you. :) Resizing the images is always a problem. I could find some decent ones but then they just look awful when fitted in the free box of the card. I'll try and fix up Peacock a little later.
PeachFreak wrote:Miss Peach is fabulous, though I'm getting a very 20s vibe from her, rather than 40s.
Thanks and yeah, that's my problem at determining time consistencies. Do you think it would her attire would be excusable if she's a cabaret jazz singer who has to dress in 20s clothing as part of her job/role?
Niteshade007 wrote:I can't tell the time period. I like the selections individually, but they don't really seem to go together. For example, Peacock and Peach seem great, but Peacock seems very turn of the century, whereas Peach is very 20s.
Same problem with determining time consistencies. I think I've got Peach's excuse worked out but will have to think of something for Peacock. Thank you for your imput.
PrinceAzure33 wrote:I really like the cards you've made. All the suspects look very classy, yet some of them has that campy feel too. As others has said, it's hard determining the time period, but I've always found that setting Clue in an ambigous world where the era is vague worked for me.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes :)
Thank you very much. :) I'm glad you like it.

I have a couple of the suspect's bios written, I'll post them after school and maybe that will help. Thank you everyone!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 am

I think you should decide what direction your going for. As a group, I like Scarlet, Peach, Peacock, Meadow-Brook and Green. They are a mix of funny and whimsical, but most importantly, they are telling of their character right from their pictures.

Mustard seems to resemble the well-trimmed 1940's Mustard, but his picture is vague and I don't get a sense of his character. He looks like he came from a Moores ad.

Brunette also clashes with the group. Not only is the picture too close up, but it just lacks some of the humour that the others have. Also, while most of the others seem fitting the the murder mystery, he just looks like he waiting Juliet to climb down the balcony and ride off on the back of his motorcycle.

Boddy I don't care fore either. The picture is bland and he looks like he's waiting for a bus.

If there's a direction you should take when looking for photos, I'd recommend the whimsical direction that you've taken with the five pictures I do like.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:42 am

Thank you for the feedback, CluedoKid! I'm still searching for any suitable replacements. Glad you like some of them, though.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 am

Scarlet and Peacock's bios:

Name: Miss Sakura Scarlet
Date of Birth: 6th July, 1922 (age 27)
Country of Birth: Switzerland
Current Occupation: Unemployed; amateur life model
Marital Status: Unknown; romantic liaison with Joseph Boddy

The sexy, sinuous Sakura Scarlet is of an enigmatic position. She currently lives with Joseph Boddy at the prestigious Arlington Point, apparently paid unofficially to pose as a life model for the amateur painter's rather risqué portraits. Rumours have circulated over real reason for being at Milton-on-Hyde, and theories have ranged from her really being a famous movie star to possibly being an enemy spy.

Any friend of Boddy's is a friend of her's, so she says. She will gladly give you one of her oozing Japanese massages as she whispers sweet nothings in your ear, with her easily recognisable breath, stained with a strong scent of tobacco.

Many of the residents of Milton-on-Hyde are weary of her, but some, particularly vulnerable men think the world of her, despite warnings. After all, red is the colour of danger.

----

Name: Mrs. Henrietta Peacock
Date of Birth: 29th November, 1908 (age 41)
Country of Birth: England, United Kingdom
Current Occupation: Unemployed; wealthy next-of-kin
Marital Status: Widow (ex; Doctor Frederick “Fred� Peacock)

Henrietta Peacock, the epitome of pride and refinery, is often the talk of the town. After marrying her respected ornithologist husband, she agreed to move into his mansion, Bell House, with him at Milton-on-Hyde. Years of happy marriage led to Henrietta becoming a thoroughly enjoyed woman, that is, until her husband suddenly died during an expedition in the Amazon.

The trauma has left a massive footprint on her spirit. Some say she is merely depressed. Others are convinced she's gone completely batty. Either way, Mrs. Peacock, now a lonely woman, thought it the only thing to do than to finally acquaintance herself with the likes of Dr. Quentin Black and Joseph Boddy.

She has made new friends with these people, but she is still somewhat not all there. Whether a poor soul to be pitied or feared, what will happened when Mrs. Peacock's repressed feelings fly scornfully to the surface?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:37 am

Can anyone recommend any actors/models for me?

Here's a little thing on what I'm looking for:

Mustard - Dapper English gentleman; middle-aged, golden hair and moustache.
White - Strict, old, thin housekeeper.
Plum - Smug middle-aged, black hair, glasses and bowtie.
Brunette - Young, attractive, with slight moustache and rubble.
Rose - Wacky, overtly-dressed drunk; middle-aged to old.
Grey - Young to middle-aged sergeant, slightly attractive.
Black - Middle-aged to old, black hair and glasses. Possibly a moustache.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm seriously out of ideas. :(

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat May 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Coming up with actors to portray characters is always a challenging part of creating a fanfiction website. I'd say just browse through IMDB until you find someone you like. Thats what I do most of the time.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Worth a shot. Thanks, cacums.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun May 16, 2010 3:33 pm

edit.
Last edited by Adam106 on Fri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun May 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Peach still stands out the most notably. Have you thought about using a different actress? Carole Landis would make a good Miss Peach.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun May 16, 2010 4:05 pm

Peach doesn't bother me. Perhaps if she's kooky or eccentric enough, then it's not totally inconceivable that she'd dress up fully flapper.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:02 pm

May I present Dr. Black:

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu May 27, 2010 3:07 pm

Ooh I like him!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks! :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu May 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Personally, I don't recognize these actors, which is a VERY good thing in these kinds of games (for me anyway). That's why I would strongly suggest replacing Plum with another character actor, as Harrison Ford is soooo well known, especially compered to the others that he simply takes me out of it (besides that bow-tied look persona was a little forced on him, both as Dr. Jones, but especially as Linus Larrabee from Sabrina from which this picture is taken).

Of course it's your call, but when I see these suspects with every major star in Hollywood, it does nothing for me. If you're just going to pull faces off Google, I think it's far more interesting to find a collection of character actors that aren't particularly identifiable and work together in appearances. It's much harder, but ultimately I think more satisfying.

All the others are really terrific though.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:32 pm

Of course, I'm definitely scrapping Plum. Thank for the compliments and thank you for the input!