Box Cover Art

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

munitzer
Can Opener

Box Cover Art

Post by munitzer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 am

What are peoples' thoughts on box cover art?

Which boxes properly capture your aura of Clue mystery and which ones miss the mark?

For me, since boxes are first impressions, they typically set the tone for the game. I know what I look for and desire in the box covers, but I am curious about everyone else.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:04 am

Can it include fan made box art.

Because, if you can, I think Murder Mystery Mayhem is the best as you can see the dead victim and also the people that are acting suspicious.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:24 am

Cluedo Kid's art certainly captures what I prefer from a Clue box.

I look for a dark atmospheric image, preferably lush and artistic as if it were a family portrait hanging in Boddy/Black's mansion. The house is important too, it should be appropriately elegant, yet creepy.

The box art that accomplish this best for me are the US '72 box, and the US '96 box, though I think I prefer the painting to the photograph. The US '86 box artwork is substandard, and the room on the '92 box is not opulent or creepy enough. 2002 is not bad, but I just don't care for the character art.

The other way to go is to picture the house as with the 50th Anniversary edition and UK 2000 edition. So my next favorite box is the Restoration Hardware box. Such deep mysterious red tones and simple but elegant design, it simply radiates dark mystery within.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 pm

(Thank you guys for complimenting my box art, though I still need to make a box for Clue Chapman Edition II game!)

The 1992 game has my favourite cover of the bunch. The whole setting looks so elegant and country manor appropriate, and all the weapons are present along with the suspects.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:18 pm

1996. By far. It's so captivating!
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:26 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:1996. By far. It's so captivating!
I think it's the dog with the revolver in its mouth that sells me on it. ;-)

BTW, what exactly is Scarlet holding? If it were a current edition I would say it's an iPhone, but in 1996 that would have been the size of a brick. Is it a compact mirror?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
What exactly is Scarlet holding? If it were a current edition I would say it's an iPhone, but in 1996 that would have been the size of a brick. Is it a compact mirror?
I always thought it was a nail file.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

1992 and 1996 for sure although Cluedokid's MMM's box art is the epitome of what I think a Clue box cover should be.
Adam106 wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:
What exactly is Scarlet holding? If it were a current edition I would say it's an iPhone, but in 1996 that would have been the size of a brick. Is it a compact mirror?
I always thought it was a nail file.
I figured it was a notebook?
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:24 pm

The new mashup game has the ugliest box art I have ever seen.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:26 pm

Quadsworth wrote:The new mashup game has the ugliest box art I have ever seen.
What are you referring to?

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Best

Post by Lord Caspen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Oh, hands-down, the 1972 cover. The house is dark and eerie and yet retains a certain wealth and elegance. If you've already played Clue, or if you have a sort of grim and dusty amalgam of mystery novels in the back of your head, you've probably imagined scenes from these a million times. This photograph could be taken straight out of almost any one of those scenarios in your head, and fit more or less perfectly, in the characters, in lighting, in set, in their expressions, in total ambiance.

I'd like to see another period-piece photograph cover, myself.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the Reinvention game cover is actually interesting? If one picked this up and judged it solely by the cover, it actually seems glamorous in a somewhat elegant way.

Now as we all know, the actual end result was nowhere close to the above, but at least the cover was at least interesting.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 pm

PrinceAzure33 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the Reinvention game cover is actually interesting? If one picked this up and judged it solely by the cover, it actually seems glamorous in a somewhat elegant way.

Now as we all know, the actual end result was nowhere close to the above, but at least the cover was at least interesting.
I disagree. It looks like a magazine advertisement for some sort of spa getaway retreat.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:04 pm

PrinceAzure33 wrote:I figured it was a notebook?
I think it is, because wasn't she holding a pen as well in the concept artwork?
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:54 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
PrinceAzure33 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the Reinvention game cover is actually interesting? If one picked this up and judged it solely by the cover, it actually seems glamorous in a somewhat elegant way.

I disagree. It looks like a magazine advertisement for some sort of spa getaway retreat.
Well yes, I'll admit it does, but the look I was thinking of was perhaps as the things you could find on file in the case. For example, Scarlet's photo could be used as a dossier image, the invitation could be evidence, etc. I'm going back to the good old days when we first heard of this and all the anticipation and guesswork this board was in when this image and several others were released.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 pm

True, but there needs to be something more unified for the cover. Something like that dossier look is better suited for the rulebook.

No, I'm also not that much of a fan of the MD cover.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:31 pm

CluedoKid wrote:I'm also not that much of a fan of the MD cover.
Yes indeedy. Let's talk about the worst box covers:

US '49-'62 Clue
1965-1983/1990-2000 Cluedo
MD
Super Challenge
Limited Gift Edition
Discover the Secrets to present ...
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Eh

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 am

Actually, I'm sentimentally attached to the MD cover, because I fell in love with that game at a very impressionable age.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

jaymzalexander
Snoop

Post by jaymzalexander » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm

For me, the 1963 cover will always be my ideal Clue cover art.
I grew up playing this edition, and it will therefore always have a sentimental place in my heart, plus I think the art is fun.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:40 pm

The art inside is good, but the box is hideous! What were they thinking when they put this ugly brown color on it? Bleh.