Clue Family Guy edition coming

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:24 pm

That episode was all kinds of disappointing. I didn't watch expecting an homage to Clue, and aside from the gargoyle shot, I found little if any references anyway.

Isn't Family Guy supposed to be funny? I just watched it and honestly can't think of very funny moments. Sure, as a murder mystery it works alright, but what was the point of some characters? Did Seamus have to be there? What did he provide to the story at all? Or Mayor West? The doctor? Did they really need a doctor to say people were dead? And was Consuela's opening joke calling everyone "Misser" funny enough to justify her in the episode? Jillian, the new character Priscilla (apparently it was important to hire Ashely Tisdale to say two words).It was crowded with characters, most of them serving ZERO point.

Obviously some character deaths, like Stephanie or Jillian's husband aren't really too surprising or upsetting. We've never even seen the former and the second one appeared in one episode, and is voiced by Seth anyway. Stephanie and Muriel are both Alex Borstein, so again, no surprise and no real loss either.

Liked Diane and James Woods, sorry they won't be on the show anymore. But I don't think the show is long for this world anyway.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:36 am

Michael wrote:My thoughts in white:
Michael, great observations. The look of the interior of the house continuously reminded me of Clue. But you point out some great little details I missed. Much more a tip of the hat to Clue than I realized.

And CluedoKid, I kept looking at the cars for something like that, but there was no green car. And there was only one shot after they all arrived at night where the other two red cars were purple, but still no green. It is interesting to note that the black car came between the yellow and white car in much the same way as there is an empty space between them on a Cluedo board. But the other black car should have been green, and wasn't. But I think you're right. The ordering of the cars had to be more than coincidental, despite not being a literal match.

Wha'ts funny is that the cars kept changing order throughout the episode for no apparent reason.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:45 am

I quickly noticed that the distinctive parquet floor in the Hall is the same as in the movie.

Overall though, I liked the episode, and I thought the mystery was rather cleverly done.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:10 am

I was surprised that there wasn't a butler of some sort. They could have really done a clue-esque bit with that. But I'm glad Consuela was there. She's my favorite character. I think I would have died if they squeezed her into an Yvette-style outfit.

There needed to be a lot of suspects, I think, to keep everybody guessing. I mean, as a viewer you know that they're going to be very random with whodunit and why. It was kind of fun trying to figure it out from all the suspects.

I really liked the episode. I think the opening driving sequence was a bit too long and I didn't think any of the Stewie bits were really funny. I think the mystery was clever, but could the viewer really have solved it?

In any case, I hope the murderer comes back side-show-bob-style in future episodes as a foe for his-or-her last would-be victim.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am

I would have loved it if Peter stopped the car and they did the "Why is the car stopped? It's frightened" bit. It's one of the few parts of the Clue movie that I enjoy. But it was obvious that they were trying to go for regal rather than frightening.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:55 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:I would have loved it if Peter stopped the car and they did the "Why is the car stopped? It's frightened" bit. It's one of the few parts of the Clue movie that I enjoy. But it was obvious that they were trying to go for regal rather than frightening.
I actually thought that in my mind while watching it.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Some glaring errors I noticed:

-The dinnerware on the dining table continuously disappear and reappear between shots.

-Quagmire is seen leaving the mansion with the others after Diane takes Lois outside, even though he supposedly left earlier with Stephanie's body.

-Diane's dress frill momentarily changes from red to purple outside after Derek is discovered.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:46 pm

Michael wrote:My thoughts in white:

I thought the house looked a LOT like the movie house from the outside. Inside, the hall furniture, doorways and fireplaces looked a lot like the movie mansion's.
Everyone got the same letter.
Stephanie's body disappears.
When James Woods is stabbed, Joe says, "Don't touch it! There may be fingerprints!"
Split up in pairs to search the house.
Climbing the attic stairs.
Tom and Diane are totally Scarlet and Mustard. Especially with them looking in the cavernous gallery (like the ballroom).
Stuffed bear in the billiard room (like from the pc game)?
One more to add:

-Murders being committed when the lights go out. Especially James Wood's death when the lights go out and immediately turn back on, revealing him dead.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:20 am

You can find this on Hulu, that's where I watched it.

I agree with Niteshade on most things. As a murder mystery, or Family Guy episode, it could have had improvements in a lot of areas.

However, I did enjoy it for what it was, and despite it not being too interactive as a mystery, (there really weren't any clues or hints pointing to the final culprit) it ended up being pretty entertaining, and well executed.

I whole-heartedly agree with Cluedokid about Diane Simmons, she definitely would have made a good Scarlet. How she ended up being the murderess, and her manipulating Priscilla a'la Yvette reminds me strongly of the Scarlet ending from Clue the movie.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:49 am

I really wish Lois and Dianne could have done 1+2+2+1

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:00 pm

Just saw the rebroadcast on Cartoon Network. Clearly this was the cut down syndicated version which permits more commercial time instead of the typical 12 minutes per hour on network TV.

Gone were the extended and boring computer generated scenes where characters merely walked for extended periods through hallways. The main title sequence was gone as well. It will be interesting to see how this ends up being cut down for the half hour version which can have over 12 minutes of commercials in syndication.

Despite the additional commercial time, the show actually played better cut down, as much of the padding was internal to the story and slowed it down. Clearly, the producers padded the show intentionally so that there would be unimportant material that could be cut out for syndication which would not affect the story.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:42 pm

I liked the opening credits, even if for only Walter Murphy's terrific score.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:And was Consuela's opening joke calling everyone "Misser" funny enough to justify her in the episode?
You'll be happy to know the producers agree with you as that sequence was one of the ones cut for syndication. The only place it will exist now is possibly on a Network rerun and the DVD.
Niteshade007 wrote:I don't think the show is long for this world anyway.
Not sure I can agree with you on that. It is no small deal to convert from standard def to HD. It takes a great deal of retooling and confidence to make that kind of investment in a series, and they certainly would not have done it if FG were on it's way out. In fact, the FG premeire was the 9th highest rated show 18-49 for that week. It once again ranked #14 the following week. With ratings like that I find your opinion completely biased and unsubstantiated.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm

They will at least go to episode 12 or 13.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 am

Got my version. But I decided to change the victim. Make it someone that everyone would have a motive.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:27 am

I've not long played a game of it and Dad had massive problems with the notepad and cards.

The pad doesn't say the whole name that's on the card. I.E. One card is Joe's Night Stick, and the pad says Night Stick.

This was a massive problem for Dad, so we gave up and played Master Detective.

I would only play it if your a fan of the show.