New Classic-Style CLUE Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm

He would, but the style is awful!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:02 am

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:if anyone's interested, the game instructions are posted in the Fountain
I like the rules for this card game a lot. While some of the art doesn't hold up per se, I like the overall concept and the idea of Clue on a boat. In fact this is probably one of the more fun variations of Clue I've seen in a long time.

However, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for choosing a random victim each time except for the novelty of it. If one so desired, Mr. Boddy could be the victim every game and nothing would change. Considering the hideous attempt to render him, I've gotta say, I think I prefer him dead, and preferably stowed where he can no longer be viewed (perhaps he fell overboard, even better).

I would like to see this concept on a full gameboard with the weapons tokens to move around as well. Not entirely sure why you couldn't have 9 rooms, except you'd need 9 suspects, so perhaps adding three characters from MD, or Super Cluedo (finally a game that explains the existence of Captain Brown). All it would do is make the game a little longer. Somebody should really give it a go.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 am

Murder by Death wrote:Considering the hideous attempt to render him, I've gotta say, I think I prefer him dead, and preferably stowed where he can no longer be viewed
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 am

I wouldn't mind the concept of Boddy as much if he didn't look so unfinished. Also, he is so clearly not drawn by Drew Struzan that it makes me wonder who Winning Moves thought they were fooling?

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Well

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 am

I could wish they had used the same artist on all seven drawings. That is a little distressing. Also, that Mr. Boddy -- clearly some kind of late 19th- or very early 20th-century figure in style, dress, attitude, and also in the style of the picture -- does not mesh well with the rest of the cast -- who are equally clearly of a much more modern sensibility.

That said, I think you guys are losing it. In funny ways, for some of you, but losing it nevertheless. It's just a drawing (painting?). It's not at all a bad drawing, the subject is interesting and also a plausible Boddy. As for the color issue -- I think this is more than made up by the black pawns in the corners, the black background, his salt-and-pepper coloring, and the fact that although there is a maroon patina added to his jacket, one can see pretty clearly the base color was also black.

I don't think he necessarily looks unfinished -- I think the sort of "the painting doesn't quite reach all the edges but sort of fades out towards them" thing is a specific look for a plausibly finished painting. However, it doesn't match the others, if that's what you meant, since the others look like photographs (they go all the way to the edges) that were subsequently rendered in paint.

I don't know if he's my favorite concept for Boddy, but he might very well be. He's serious, eccentric, and yet his eccentricities are plausible. I also really like the film version, but then so far as I can tell he only makes sense in that particular context.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Well

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:44 am

Lord Caspen wrote:since the others look like photographs (they go all the way to the edges) that were subsequently rendered in paint.
I don't think Struzan works that way. I'm pretty sure his work is freehand design then airbrushed. This is especially evident in the various prototype renderings for the artwork. But his style is quasi-photorealistic like all the Hollywood movie posters he is most famous for. Agreed, it seems Winning Moves attempted to mitigate the fact Boddy did not match the others by making his image more like a portrait hanging somewhere in the yacht, a la the famous "unfinished" portrait of George Washington by Gilbert Stewart.
Lord Caspen wrote: I also really like the film version, but then so far as I can tell he only makes sense in that particular context.
You mean the character of "Boddy" only makes sense in the movie? Or that characterization only make sense in the context of that movie? And which Boddy do you mean? The slick sleazebag who was in actuality the butler, or the British cad Wadsworth who was in actuality Boddy?

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 pm

May I ask where anyone who has the game purchased it? Will it be available in stores? I've checked my local outlets, but none of them had it yet.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:May I ask where anyone who has the game purchased it? Will it be available in stores? I've checked my local outlets, but none of them had it yet.
The new cardgame or Clue Classic? Both are available directly from Winning Moves, or Amazon.com among other online retailers, and I have already seen both on eBay.

I would imagine these games would make it into retails stores, but according to Winning Moves website, they tend to go into boutique toy stores, like FAO Schwartz, The Game Keeper, and Aahs!, though I have seen some of their products at Target. Best to search your zip code on their website and see what local store it brings up if you are adverse to online shopping.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 am

Here's a video from Winning Moves showing the components of the Classic Edition. The room cards appear to be updated and the suspects themselves look slightly more fleshed out. Overall it looks like a nice edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4OjkBY ... tube_gdata

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 am

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:The room cards appear to be updated and the suspects themselves look slightly more fleshed out.
Definitely. Mrs. Peacock has rosy cheeks. The weapons have been enhanced as well. However, they still don't match the board art, and are inconsistent in style with the room cards.

But I'm confused, The White Pawn (who is conspicuously absent of late), confirmed that the room cards were not updated to match the board. Yet, they clearly have been, though the shadow that would have connected them to the suspect and weapons cards has been unnecessarily left off. He also said the tokens were from the 1949 re-issue, but those were classic wooden ones and these are clearly a new plastic design (which also don't match the cards!). Could The White Pawn be wrong? Or is this video of a prototype, or could they have actually updated the game since The White Pawn got his?

Either way, in viewing this in HD, the details are much richer and the board definitely looks much nicer than in the tiny promo pic. The cards seem to match in general, the room cards are spot on, but the suspects and especially the weapon art is just too different. I think it would have helped if they had removed the very 40's looking cartoon-shadows from all of the cards as they did with the rooms, and removed the blue comic-book coloring from some of the weapons.

The box art is still confusing to me too. Very busy. Interesting they still put the 1949 logo on it, since the board and rooms are definitely not part of that edition.

It's definitely better looking than I thought it would be, and I'm grateful they did it. It just strikes me as a really odd hybrid. Really would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when this one was being designed.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:53 am

I might get it after all..

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Also, with these larger and clearer pictures of the game, it's definite that they are using bronzed weapons tokens on the box cover. Perhaps they intended this originally, but changed their minds at some point. Too bad, as it would have been a much more elegant way to go and given this edition a unique quality that sets it apart from all others.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:34 pm

It's odd. I can picture the 1949 group living in this mansion better than the 1996 group. Perhaps because the 1996 edition has such a grandiose looking room on the box with Mustard all dressed up in his regalia and White looking all the bit a formal servant, yet the board itself is just so plain.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

CluedoKid wrote:1996 edition ...board itself is just so plain.
Curious, why do you consider it plain?

There seems to be a steady progression from stark in the 1949 UK, extremely simple in the US 1949, then jumping the 63 & 72, the 86 gets more complex, followed by the 92 which ads the first lighting highlights, then the 96 edition adds depth and shadow, and finally the UK 2000 & 2002/03 games which were the most lush and intricate of them all.

So, plain in comparison to the 2000 and later boards, but certainly more elaborate and interesting than those before it.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:1996 edition ...board itself is just so plain.
Curious, why do you consider it plain?
In the 50th anniversary edition, it isn't bad due to much needed colour changes, but to me, most of the furniture looks like it was bought on a 50% off bargain from IKEA. I was always irked that the drawing room the characters are milling about in on the 1996 box bears little resemblance to the actual house style.

Boddy strikes me as someone who'd flaunt their wealth to gaudy extremes and looking at the Study or Library in the 1996, it seems to be just the opposite. Especially when the board's main colour is this unattractive green. I never understood why they never made a Clue board that was detailed with the same kind of lavishness as perhaps, Murder at Boddy Mansion (Until I made my board to address that problem!) :wink:

(Also, no way it is more elaborate than earlier versions! On the back of my 1996 edition, the 1992 game was advertised and I remember both the confusion of seeing a Clue game significantly different from the one I had AND how much more elegant the rooms on the board looked. Nicer variety of colour as well. )

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm

CluedoKid wrote:the 1996 box bears little resemblance to the actual house style. ...how much more elegant the rooms on the 1992 board looked. Nicer variety of colour as well.
Hmmmm. Well I haven't seen a good picture of the 1992 board. I was just going on the little pictures in Michael's reviews.

But I'm still not convinced from what I can see. Also, the colors of the 1992 edition strike me as garish. It still suffers form the art deco scheme from the original. And the art has a cartoonish look without any shading or texture. As for the furniture, I don't really see the "Ikea" difference between the brown furniture in the '92 Lounge vs. the green furniture in the '96 lounge, except it is smaller and harder to see the details. For me, the 1949 suspects fit the simpler artwork of these editions much better than the 86, or 92 suspects artwork, which ironically seem better suited to the 96 board style.

Either way the covers don't particularly match the boards very well in any edition. The room on the front of the 92 looks like some kind of living room in suburbia rather than a lavish English country manor and definitely bears no resemblance to any room on the board. I much prefer the image the '96 evokes, since none of the boards match anyway.

To each his own. I just don't necessarily see it is more detailed, as much as different details. And let's face it, none of the boards do a very good job of evoking the wealth and opulence suggested by the concept. The Franklin Mint likely came the closest. If Winning Moves wanted to do a deluxe Classic edition, recreating a 2D board with the detail of the Franklin Mint board and the depth of the later boards, would be the way to go, and then literally set the cover art in one of the actual rooms depicted on the board. But I'm not gonna hold my breath.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 am

HERE's a close up on the room cards from 92, MBD

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:40 am

Yeah so as you can see, the whole mansion just looks a whole lot more decorated and warmer than the 1996 board.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

I wonder if they even gave any thought about changing the knife card to match the playing pieces..

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:33 pm

cacums wrote:I wonder if they even gave any thought about changing the knife card to match the playing pieces..
That's why I wanted to be a fly on the wall when they designed this game. The knife was first designed for the Limited Gift Edition, which they based on the '49-'72 editions. The problem comes when they re-issued the 1949 replica. Maybe they did not realize that the knife token actually matched the card for a limited time during the first year in 1949. Or perhaps they decided that most people who grew up with the first editions would have only known the normal blade sheath knife, not the somewhat rare butter knife. From an economic standpoint, they already had an appropriate knife token. But how expensive could it have been to manufacture a new one?

The bigger question is why Parker Brothers changed the token in the first place. Why did Parker Bros. use a butter knife in the first place? Was it a pre-existing design already in Tootsie Toy's (the first token manufacturer) catalogue, or were they afraid a regular knife would seem too threatening? When Parker Bros. began manufacturing their own a year later, did someone realize that a butter knife was a ridiculous murder weapon? If so, why did they not change the card for over a decade (they fixed it in 1963, but then changed the revolver so that it did not match the token anymore)?

From a financial perspective I get that they already had classic serviceable weapons, probably a lot left over from the 1949 edition (which are readily available as replacement parts for $1.50 on WM site). But all of the cards were redesigned for this edition, so why not create a proper matching knife card in the style of the 1949 cards? It's not a nostalgia edition, so the mis-matched card makes no sense whatsoever.They had no problem creating the totally unnecessary and mismatched Mr. Boddy artwork for the card game. Surely someone thought of this. So why didn't they do it?

All I can think is that contractually they are not allowed to substitute or change anything about the original artwork, other than what was originally licensed. Perhaps Hasbro is not even happy about this so-called "Classic" edition, but can't do anything about it because of the contract. Otherwise, why not just use the Struzan artwork of the card game with the matching board? The butter knife card is the only thing I can't stand about the first editions. Surely we aren't the only ones who ever noticed it and are bothered by it.