New Classic-Style CLUE Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 am

Boddy should just be a victim and not confused as a suspect. Heck, he's not even on the box!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 am

CluedoKid wrote:Boddy should just be a victim and not confused as a suspect. Heck, he's not even on the box!
That's actually one aspect of Pratt's Murder! I wish they had kept. I like the idea that every time you play the game there's a different victim.

I understand why Waddingtons did what they did for consistency of play, which is one of Clue's greatest strengths and why more complex mystery games may be more challenging to play, they will never be as popular.

But, in some respects it keeps the game fresh each time (as if 324 possible variations isn't enough). Though it forces someone to occasionally forfeit playing with their favorite character. – But think of the intangible benifits: they way Clue is now, there are 6 suspects with defined characteristics, which limits the number of imagined motives each has for killing Boddy, concocted as you play the game. But rotate the victim, and suddenly you've multiplied the number of possible motives by 6!

And I think they left Boddy off the box intentionally, because he doesn't match the Struzan art very well at all, according to ndx47a2b.

Will be interested to see the rules on this one to see if there's any other logical reason for having a rotating victim, aside from the novelty.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 am

Well I too like the idea of different victims, but I love Mr. Boddy because he is the defined victim.

I can imagine Clue: The Movie running into confusion if they tried to employ a random victim element.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:17 am

CluedoKid wrote:I can imagine Clue: The Movie running into confusion if they tried to employ a random victim element.
Agreed – now. Then again, the movie already had more victims than just Boddy anyway. 5 more to be exact, not to mention the confusion with Wadsworth being Boddy in the "real" ending.

I can imagine it working very effectively in the series, once the audience understood the conceit. I mean it was pretty odd to begin with: every week one of the six suspects would be convicted of murder, yet the group would all be back together the next as if nothing happened. So changing the victim among the same group each week would be no less bizarre. So Miss Scarlett dies this week and Rev. Green goes to jail, they're all back the next ready for more.

I can also imagine a movie in which Col. Mustard is murdered and Boddy helps figure out who did it. Had Clue always been this way, nobody would think twice about it. If they wanted to honor the random victim element, they could easily have done something similar to the Boddy/Wadsworth thing. Mustard could have been faking his death and then, while out of the picture, kills his attempted killer, who has pinned Mustard's death on one of the others. So now there are two perceived victims, three potential murderers, but Mustard comes back in the end, revealed as the one true murderer.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:59 am

I'm in favor of a random victim. With too many mysteries, one character basically has a neon sign saying "victim" hanging over their head. I believe that it adds depth to the concept, even going so far as to saying that Mrs. Peacock owns the house or even Colonel Mustard.

My main reservation against adopting this concept is that it will throw off the gender ratio. The Clue Card Game: Mystery at Sea displays this. There are 7 characters: 3 women and 4 men. Now, if any of the men become the victim, the gender ratio is even. If any of the women become the victim, the gender ratio is skewed even further. In reality, the gender ratio of suspects would most likely not be even, but the symmetry of boardgames should adhere to this on some level.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Regardless of what Winning Moves' or BoardGameGeek's Web sites say about Boddy being a potential suspect, I'd take it with a grain of salt until someone actually has the game in hand and can report on it. After all, there was a lot of information (even from "official" sources) about Secrets in Paris before it (disappointingly) came out that proved to be incorrect.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:Regardless of what Winning Moves' ... Web sites say about Boddy being a potential suspect, I'd take it with a grain of salt until someone actually has the game in hand and can report on it.
I'm not sure how you can discount the source, especially now that the game is being sold:

Winning Moves has now posted the Clue Classic game.

They have also posted the Mystery at Sea Card Game.

This seems to confirm that there are 7 suspects. Also, there is a suspect token lying under Peacock's. If not Boddy, then who? I have also seen a picture of Boddy's card from ndx47a2b, as the game has been on sale at Amazon for some time now. So unless that was a fake, then the 7th suspect is Boddy – a poorly drawn Boddy.

More evidence for than against. Hopefully they will put up the instructions for the new card game soon and it will be incontrovertible. Heck for only $10 at Winning Moves, I should just buy the thing myself and find out sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:12 am

Where did you see this picture of Boddy?

ndx47a2b
Suspect

Post by ndx47a2b » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:56 am

-edit-
Last edited by ndx47a2b on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ndx47a2b
Suspect

Post by ndx47a2b » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:03 am

-edit-
Last edited by ndx47a2b on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 am

Oh, I see. I was under the impression that the game was still "in the works" and hadn't actually been published yet. All I meant by the earlier post was that a lot can change between the time something is announced and the time it is published, and that there isn't any way to know for certain until it's available. But if it is already available, then that's different.

EDIT: I definitely spoke too soon. There's a page for the game up at Welcome to Boddy Manor. Like all the other "secret" places, it's hidden, but it's not too difficult to figure out the room from which it links. I like the idea of the game, but I have to say, I HATE the Boddy card.I don't like how he looks, and the art, IMHO, doesn't equal the Struzan art on the other suspect cards.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote: Like all the other "secret" places, it's hidden, but it's not too difficult to figure out the room from which it links.
Thanks for finding this Mr. Sterling Silver! But, too much of a tease! Here's the picture for discussion – if you wanna find more about it on that fantastic site, you'll have to go looking ;-) Better watch it Micahel, he's getting his collection up faster than you are! LOL

Looks like they changed the backgrounds from the original Struzan '96 art too?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Thanks for finding this Mr. Sterling Silver!
You're welcome, but I didn't really "find" it. I'm a member at the site, so I get notified when Matt updates it. (The notifications don't say exactly where anything is, but he does tell you what's new and gives you a hint to locate it.)

Also, if anyone's interested, the game instructions are posted in the Fountain, and the notepad can be found through the Conservatory.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:I'm a member at the site, so I get notified when Matt updates it.
I didn't even know you could do that. Great! Thanks.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Not an instant fan of Boddy's card. It looks unpolished and too tall. Plus, he really shouldn't be wearing maroon, he should be wearing black. I dunno, maybe he'll grow on me.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Unpolished is a good word. It just looks more like a rough draft. It's almost there, but not quite. Kind of like the head is just stuck on a body drawn by someone else. Even his body doesn't appear to be finished.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Meh, he's okay but nothing too spectacular. I prefer my Boddy in a black suit and of a relatively young age but I can appreciate this new approach. That monocle really should belong to Mustard, though.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:37 pm

Niteshade007 wrote: Even his body doesn't appear to be finished.
you mean Mr. Boddy's body? ;-)

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Oh! Oh God! Shield the children's eyes!!! What IS that hideous thing in the frame where Mr. Boddy should be?

It's awful!!!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 pm

He would make a better M. Brunette