Foreign Editions

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Foreign Editions

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Some great foreign editions found over at Boardgamegeek.com – click for larger pics.

Love the bloody fingerprint on the Polish detective notes:

Love the Noir 40's comic look to these Turkish "Mike Hammer" suspects:

This one avoided the Escher-style error of several editions, very similar to this Dutch edition.

The Finnish suspects are clean and simple, but highly evocative at the same time.

Love the barren land and craggily trees around the outside of this Finnish mansion.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:12 am

Both of those games look cool. I want them!!!!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 am

The first game is awfully ugly looking. Why does everyone either look like Sam Spade or a stock 40's floozy?

The second one isn't terrible. The suspect cards are neat.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 am

I like the noirish look of the first set of suspects. The suspects could be defined a little better, as we don't get a lot about personalities from their picture, but the overall feel I enjoy.

I don't really care for the board for the second set. It's too empty. Also the orange thing isn't really working for me, and doesn't seem to go with the cards very well. This may have been an instance where the boring gray rooms would have worked better with these set of suspects.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:28 pm

I love them both and can't wait to get them someday!

I just today got a Danish version of Cluedo which I'll put up eventually. The cards, unfortunately, are the same as the first Cluedo, but it has a different box which is interesting.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Michael wrote:I just today got a Danish version of Cluedo
Isn't that the one with an older man looking at the board like a book?

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I love em all. Regrettably my only "foreign" versions are the 2003 Czech and the 2005 Greek Travel edition. Just the 2003 graphics with a different language. So how can one go about getting the pre-2003 editions of non-British, non-American Clue?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:19 am

Niteshade007 wrote:I don't really care for the board for the second set. It's too empty. Also the orange thing isn't really working for me.
This is one of my favorite games of Cluedo I have seen. Something about the stark red/orange hue, the dead of night, the long shadows and splashes of light. Combined with the dead of Winter look outside the mansion and it just sets the right mood for me. The Finns really know how to do murder (or at least solitude).

But I agree the rooms are pretty empty. Even some light decoration would have really added a lot here. But keep in mind this is 1992. This game pre-dates the UKs switch to real interior depictions by 4 years. As far as I know it is also the first Cluedo game of any edition to depict interior ambient lighting, much less the night time setting with splashes of light and dark shadows. In 1992, this game must have been stunning, and may have inspired the 1996 and particularly the 2000 editions.

What's fascinating is that the game is almost identical to the UK edition, except for the Conservatory, which becomes the "Gallery". Could this be because Finland has little use for Sun rooms?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Oh wow! That Finnish board is BEAUTIFUL. I don't think it's too empty at all. How creepy looking!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:40 pm

cacums wrote:
Michael wrote:I just today got a Danish version of Cluedo
Isn't that the one with an older man looking at the board like a book?
Yes. I just added the page in the Cluedo section called "Denmark".
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

DrBlackIsDead
Suspect

Post by DrBlackIsDead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Funny this topic should appear, I recently did some work to translate one of the foreign Cluedo games on BGG. It's a Portuguese version 'O Detective Amador' which translates to 'Amateur Detective'. Here's the finished thing:

Please note the character names are a direct translation, hence the potentially racist casting of the Black pawn as the chauffeur, and his character image as dark skinned. Same goes for the Cook.

I did it for the altered board layout, locations and interesting choice of murder weapons. Death by hoe anyone?

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I had seen O Detective Amador at BoardGameGeek but never could find out what "Casal" meant. I see it means "Cottage." Nice to see the whole thing, and be able to read it.

Does "Claro" mean "Clear"? So the mobster-looking character is "Mr. Clear"?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:15 am

Nice DrBlackisDead, I quite like the one you posted!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 am

The edition is alright. Seems like a precursor to Clue FX with the outdoor locations and the entire house simply being a single possibility.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I was looking at this board from the Denmark edition on this site. Anyone else like it better than the English Cluedo board? The colours just feel more darker and enhance the mood better.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Now this I find fascinating. In the third image in this post, I thought I saw something oddly familiar on the solution envelope. When enlarged I saw that, sure enough, the envelope undoubtedly depicts the character "Shaky," a villain from the comic strip "Dick Tracy." Oddly enough, in addition to being a Cluedo collector, I'm a huge Dick Tracy fan. Looking at the other cards depicted on the box, the artwork is clearly NOT from Dick Tracy.

The only decent picture of "Shakey" I could find-

I certainly am unaware of any officially licensed Dick Tracy/Clue product (tho, it sounds like a good idea!) so I wonder if the image was being illegally used in this foreign edition.

Either way, it's fascinating.
Last edited by ColJaime on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

Well you can avoid the censoring of Dick Tracy by putting these:

Code: Select all

[i] [/i] 
-in between any part of the censored work.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks, Cluedokid. Good to know. For the image, I just ended up saving it and uploading it, myself.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:36 pm

CluedoKid wrote:I was looking at this board from the Denmark edition on this site. Anyone else like it better than the English Cluedo board? The colours just feel more darker and enhance the mood better.
Yes I agree. But this is also a later edition, and like the US editions, did not have as much at steak with established tradition. This allowed them to produce much more appropriate editions like the US 1972, 1996-2002, and the various other European editions which also capture the mood far more effectively.

Although there were a lot of brightly colored boards, and lest we forget the 1965 US cartoon edition, suggesting that many manufacturers saw it less as an adult parlor game, but a kids game as time went on and standards of appropriate leisure material relaxed so that murders were acceptable fodder.

The British I've heard are sticklers for tradition and as such they held onto the dated 40's color scheme and original design far too long, and in doing so denied us all a lot of opportunities to create yet more fantastic art for this beloved game.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am

It seems impossible to me that only the Italians have produced a 3-D Cluedo board, and for a Jr. Edition at that: