Cluedo game spotted in Clue movie?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Cluedo game spotted in Clue movie?

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Now we know where Mr. Boddy got his aliases ....

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Work on those photoshop skills...

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:42 am

Also, considering how the film takes place in America, the game would probably be Clue, if it were present at all.

I will say, though, it would be a clever nod. I'm not sure how popular the game would have been among adults who had no children. It had only been out a few years, the suspects probably wouldn't know that their aliases were based on a children's game.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:59 am

I think is funny. Good Work!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:22 am

It's close!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:42 am

It's waaay to bright. Reduce contrast and apply a slight blur.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Differ

Post by Lord Caspen » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:16 am

I beg to differ.

I mean, the points made are valid and are actually pretty much excellent if the idea is to make it completely blend in.

OTOH, it's a joke, right?

I think that if you blurred the game, or toned down the redness, it would blend in so much that the joke would be lost.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:Also, considering how the film takes place in America, the game would probably be Clue, if it were present at all.... I'm not sure how popular the game would have been among adults who had no children. It had only been out a few years, the suspects probably wouldn't know that their aliases were based on a children's game.
First of all, yes the Photoshop work is sub-par. It was just kind of a gag and I didn't really want to spend much time on it. There are probably better scenes to grab the cabinet from anyway if it were to be done right.

It mostly just addresses one of the big problems I have with the movie: the fact the characters are not really the Cluedo characters but merely using their names as aliases – and it takes place in 1952, when the game would actually exist. My understanding, however, is that Clue was wildly popular in the US and UK from its introduction and it was initially considered an adult parlor game, though popular with kids as well (remember Pratt invented it to play with his friends). Parlor games among adults were much more popular at that time prior to the widespread adoption of TV. I'm not sure where Miteshade007 gets that it was only a relatively unknown children's game.

I don't really have any hard facts to disprove either statement, regardless, my theory is this:

Since what really happened is that Wadsworth, who is English, turns out to be the blackmailer (and thus the owner of the mansion), that he recently immigrated from England and brought his Cluedo game with him (which is why it's not a US "Clue" game). Clearly Wadsworth enjoys playing games (he has a billiard room), particularly of the murder/mystery variety. Surely he loved Cluedo and thus relished the irony of basing his aliases for his blackmail victims on it. His mansion may have even been purchased because of its similarity to Cluedo. Knowing the differences with the US game, he adapted the aliases to fit his guests. Since he intended to go on blackmailing them, his name was most likely not really Boddy or Wadsworth.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
It mostly just addresses one of the big problems I have with the movie: the fact the characters are not really the Cluedo characters but merely using their names as aliases and it takes place in 1952, when the game would actually exist.

I think one of the things with movies is that it is in a different dimension: if a movie is based off of a book, that certain book does not exist in their movie world. Same thing with Clue: they are, in a way, in the board game, that is, with Mr. Boddy as the victim and all the suspects, even if their names are pseudonyms. The board game Clue does not exist in the movie because they are in it. Understand?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:01 pm

I agree with fendue. It's like Bruce Wayne reading a Batman comic - it doesn't work.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:08 pm

fendue wrote:Understand?
Yes I understand. But this is a slightly different situation. If this movie took place in 1932 in an English manor, when the Cluedo game did not exist, then the aliases might have been a random collection of names appropriate to British culture at the time, but still invokes some curiosity as to their source.

Since it does take place at a time when Clue was becoming popular, and the names are so completely uncommon to anything depicted in the world of the film, their derivation compels an explanation. Nothing in the movie suggests that the characters don't know the source of their aliases, or that they did not come from Cluedo. In much the same way the movie is full of homages to the game, the actual basis for the weapons, rooms and characters could be entirely inspired by the actual game existing within the universe of the movie. Wadsworth is a Cludeo fan. He gave Mr. Boddy the gifts to deliver afterall. It was his mansion and he came up with the aliases.

Even if we agree the movie takes place in a "different dimension" where Cluedo doesn't exist, the aliases still invite an explanation. Why would Wadsworth choose those exact names and to a lesser extent, those weapons? It's not as if he chose Mrs. Smith and Mr. Jones, etc. So I prefer to think of Wadsworth as one of us (though hopefully none of us are as deranged). To me it doesn't hurt the movie at all, in fact it enhances it for me.

Remember, unlike Batman, these are NOT the Cluedo characters, but rather characters assigned the Cluedo character's names. Therefore, no fourth wall is being broken, using Cluedo as an explanation is just as valid as they were all the names of shady relatives of Wadsworth. (And by the way Adam106 ... you don't think in the "real" Gotham City, some in-universe company is not producing a Batman comic based on the "real-life" superhero? I can totally see Bruce Wayne reading such a comic and smiling to himself at what he's inspired, telling Alfred he doesn't think they got his jaw right).

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Come to think of that, where would he have gotten the names 'Mr. Green' and 'Mr. Boddy', eh?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 pm

The way I've always seen the movie is that these are the Clue characters. The movie is just an explanation to the story surrounding the board game. It is set within the Clue universe.

Who's to say that Miss Scarlet in the board game is really Miss Scarlet? She could very well be a young woman using it as an alias at the mansion that night, as could all the others.

I think the aliases are random names Wadsworth came up with. He started with a color name, and then it continued from there. It's like asking how Anthony Pratt invented the names and weapons. He just picked random colors. Thus, Wadsworth is essentially creating Clue in the movie.

If Wadsworth was planning everything based on the actual board game, I do think one of the suspects would've made a reference to it. It wouldn't exactly be out of place.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 pm

PeachFreak wrote:Who's to say that Miss Scarlet in the board game is really Miss Scarlet? ... It's like asking how Anthony Pratt invented the names and weapons. ... I do think one of the suspects would've made a reference to it.
A valid argument. There is certainly nothing wrong with seeing the movie that way, or the board game for that matter, though traditionally it has not been. I'm not trying to say my view is the only correct way it can be viewed.

However, I'll actually fall back on Niteshade007's argument for a moment, not knowing exactly how much Cluedo was part of America's pop culture in 1952, much less if these characters would be up on the latest pop culture, and particularly parlor games. The guests themselves may well have not known anything about the board game, or at least it's characters by name. And even if some did, the fact no one said anything about it doesn't mean it couldn't be the case. It's no more odd than than the absence of someone commenting on the strange names at all. In fact this is one of the few times in US history you could set the movie so that the game exists yet most of the characters may not recognize it. This makes me want to go to the library and do some research for popular articles about Clue from the early 50s. (But I do think a scene where Mrs. Peacock tries to bring it up, and when no one else thinks the aliases are unusual she drops it without actually saying it, would be funny).

Besides, if there had really been a Cluedo game "easter egg" somewhere in the movie, would it have made the film any less enjoyable? I rather think that was the point.

It's just for me, unless these characters are actually themselves, I don't see this so much as a movie that takes place in the world of Clue, but rather a movie inspired by the game of Clue. Your milage may vary. But I appreciate the alternate view that the original characters were always aliases in the first place – puts a very fresh spin on the game, but also throws out all of the canon from the 1980's going forward.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:57 pm

haha. i think that's clever! love it!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:43 am

Murder by Death wrote: I'm not sure where Miteshade007 gets that it was only a relatively unknown children's game.
I never said it was relatively unknown. I questioned the popularity among adults without children. I don't remember when the movie takes place, but you mention 1952. If we go with that, that means the game has been out for three years. Here you have a madam, a military man, a couple of women with wealthy husbands, a psychologist, and a government man. While Peacock and White would be the most likely to play the game, given that they would entertain the most of the guests in attendance, it is not a given that they would have played the game, especially someone like Peacock, who would have entertained a larger number of people. Perhaps they prefer card games over board games. Either way, I question the game's popularity among this particular group of people, perhaps adults in general, but this group especially doesn't seem likely to enjoy an evening of games with friends.
Murder by Death wrote:Since what really happened is that Wadsworth, who is English, turns out to be the blackmailer (and thus the owner of the mansion), that he recently immigrated from England and brought his Cluedo game with him (which is why it's not a US "Clue" game). Clearly Wadsworth enjoys playing games (he has a billiard room), particularly of the murder/mystery variety. Surely he loved Cluedo and thus relished the irony of basing his aliases for his blackmail victims on it. His mansion may have even been purchased because of its similarity to Cluedo. Knowing the differences with the US game, he adapted the aliases to fit his guests. Since he intended to go on blackmailing them, his name was most likely not really Boddy or Wadsworth.
We have no idea how long Wadsworth has been in America, but I get the impression that this blackmail thing has been going on for quite some time. Perhaps a year or a so. If that's the case, Wadsworth would have had to be in America for awhile before blackmailing them. It's not like he stepped off the boat/plane and instantly knew these people's dirty secrets. He had to stumble upon them/find them out from other people. And it's not as if you can just walk up to a cook and say "Hey, want to give me some dirt on your employer? And can I have her favorite recipe?" You have to cultivate relationships with people. Maybe not all of them. Some may have given their allegiance as soon as they heard there was money involved, perhaps the cop who was bribed or Yvette. Others, like singing telegram, who was involved in a more personal level with the man being blackmailed, might have been hesitant. He would have had to gain their trust. This sort of thing takes time. Add in buying a mansion, complete with secret passages and a location that is close enough to DC, and you have quite a lengthy amount of time spent. And you believe all this was accomplished between the game's release in 1949 and the time the murders occur in 1952.

And I just realized I've spent entirely too much time thinking about this.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:00 am

Yes, I think we can be assured that the board game does not exist within the movie and it's as simple as that. The writers chose 1954 (not 1952) to work with the McCarthyism themes. The movie is just an explanation for the game, just like all of our stories, fanmade games with heavy plots, and all Clue spin-offs; the books, computer game, etc. Few of these actually take place in 1949. Some ever earlier.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:49 pm

MissScarletDidntDoIt wrote:Yes, I think we can be assured that the board game does not exist within the movie and it's as simple as that.
Meh. Where's the fun in that? Leave me out of the "we" in your statement. For it to be Clue for me, the characters must have been born with the names Mustard, Plum, etc.

Of course you are right about it being 1954, not sure how I misread the caption, which fills the whole frame when Wadsworth enters the house. But McCarthyism was alive and well in 1952 as well. That actually only helps alleviate some of Niteshade007's concerns. Now Wadsworth and Clue have been in America for up to 6 years. EIther way, anything can be explained logically.

But Niteshade007, first, I did not mean to imply that the six characters must be directly familiar first hand with playing the game. Just familiar popularly with it. Again my understanding was that Clue was a popular enough game among all ages and social circles, to have been heard of, even if they did not play it. But I also used your interpretation to alleviate PeachFreak's problem that nobody noticed they were being named after a popular game. It now seems it is best they never heard of Clue.

As for Wadsworth being able to do what he did in a mere 6 years, even 4 years ... I would assume Wadsworth was a con-artist of means before he came to the US and most likely already had contacts here. Perhaps he even left England because he had to – having already run this particular scam on Dr. Black! For such a man to organize such nefarious relationships quickly would not be such a major feat – he would be actively pursuing them, since it was his "job". Is it any wonder one of his victims was a madame? Such a person would know where a lot of bodies were buried and is already receptive to trading favors for cash. Even if that's not enough to satisfy how quickly he could assemble such a network, then he could have been in the US as long as you need him to be, and a friend sent him the game as soon as it came out in England, knowing how much Wadsworth would like it.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Wow

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:07 pm

I see absolutely no reason to believe that the characters had to have known bout the game, if it did exist in that world; I also see no reason to believe that it had to have existed in that world. Furthermore, I see no reason why Clue can't be Clue unless these peoples' real names are actually this frankly pretty crazy collection of nouns and adjectives. I mean, why isn't it enough that they're called by those names? What difference can it possibly make?

OTOH, there is also no reason per se to believe that the game could not have existed in their world, or that they didn't know it -- I think it's a bit unlikely that they all knew the game terribly well, or else the subject of their aliases would have been more a topic of conversation (anything to keep from talking about what was really on their minds). But some of them may at least have known the game slightly well.

I don't think anything very much is necessarily ruled out.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:12 pm

I think you're looking too much into it, Murder by Death. It's just a movie not a deep, multi-layered literary masterpiece.

A movie about a board game in itself is going to cause a few 'glitches', so why not just take it for what it is? A movie that is to be enjoyed and watched not to be continually concerned how the suspects got their names for the film. That's just the way the script handled it. Not every little detail has to be explained all the time, you know. No offence.