Another new Clue game! Clue: Secrets in Paris

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Quadsworth
Slueth

Another new Clue game! Clue: Secrets in Paris

Post by Quadsworth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:22 pm

An entirely new clue game just slipped out. Clue:Secrets in Paris is about a high school class trip to paris :roll: .http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... cp=3881767
Description:
A group of young students are on a class trip in Paris. One night when they were out to dinner the Chaperone did not show up. Later they found out that she had been murdered!

I only appears to be available at Toys R Us, after a quick internet search.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Okay, these just keep getting dumber and dumber...
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm

TheWhitePawn wrote:Okay, these just keep getting dumber and dumber...
What TheWhitePawn said. I've never seen a more clear cut case of pandering to pre-teens and young adults. Curious to see if this uses locations around Paris, or a single building like a hotel. No doubt it will incorporate all of the same "improvements" of DTS. Happy 60th Anniversary Cluedo!

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:58 pm

It's not even listed on the hasbro website ( although there is a secrets and spies demo up).

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:02 pm

*****.... why this? why to clue? why, why, why.... well, at least we all realize what it feels like to be in a live slasher movie... watch hasbro slice up clue and stab the hearts of orginal clue lovers...

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:06 pm

This proves that Habsro's target audience is tweeny-boppers, incoporating all the usual stuff I despise into one 'fun' game. I love teen-slasher stuff but I'm sorry, this is awful - even to me. It's obviously aimed at Hannah Montana-esque fans to play at their sleepovers.

I feel literally quite sick at the thought of this. This doesn't help my depression a single bit. I find myself once again reiterating that the Clue we know and love is indeed dead and buried - ironically, murdered. R.I.P. :cry:

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Oh *beep*. So this is what Clue has degenerated into? A quick buck targeted for shallow teens and preteens who love blood and guts in horor movies, but wouldn't know a country house murder if it hit them on the head?

Pass the prussic acid, please.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't mind a Parisian-themed Clue game, but they missed the mark completely on atmosphere right from the box.

It seems the Clue label is being diluted so that that the concept of the game can be melted down to appeal to any genre or pop culture. With it, Col. Mustard and the Lead Pipe etc. will get shafted over time if the trend continues.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Re: Another new Clue game! Clue: Secrets in Paris

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Quadsworth wrote:a high school class trip to paris
Oh....my....Gooooood. But at least it's murder, right?
Last edited by WarnerPlum on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

cacums
Ringer

Re: Another new Clue game! Clue: Secrets in Paris

Post by cacums » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 pm

WarnerPlum wrote:[quote="Quadsworth"a high school class trip to paris
Oh....my....Gooooood. But at least it's murder, right?[/quote]

Prolly not, it's most likely a who stole the blank out of Miss Blank's blank

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:24 pm

CluedoKid wrote:I don't mind a Parisian-themed Clue game, but they missed the mark completely on atmosphere right from the box.
I wouldn't mind a Paris theme, too, but still... just... ugh.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I feel that clue should stay... hmm, let's think... CLUE! Clue is becoming Monopoly... anyone can theme it, what happened to a good old fashion murder at a country mansion? Nope, the kiddies wouldn't like that... or would they? Who cares as long as I get a buck from making a game that won't last a week in stores... Colonel Mustard anyone? Who is that? All I know is Jack Mustard, the football star, and he isn't nearly as popular as Agent Mustard... A Wrench? Psshh, who needs it when you've got a Baseball Bat nearby... Jesus Christ, what happened to tradition? Does the world we live in really need any more cash up their asses or can they just leave things alone, yes modernize it every now and then, but for god's sake, changing structural detail and the beloved characters is horse ****!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:45 pm

I can't say I like the looks of it. I'm all for the brainless teen horror movie, but, meh. I suppose I should be grateful that we're getting so many new editions, but I would prefer one decent edition.

Does anyone else feel the setting is utterly random? With the whole teenage murder thing going on, I'd figure they'd use a high school or something, not dump the game in Paris for some "OMG intrigue."
It's reminding me of the Lizzie Mcguire movie for some reason.

Though, at least it's a murder and not a theft. With Christmas next month, I'll have cash to burn, and I may pick it up eventually just to add it to my collection, along with the Juicy Couture edition.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:05 pm

I must be weird, I don't hate it.

Yeah, I probably won't buy it, as it feels more Clue Jr. than Clue, especially since some of the colors seemed to have changed (it looks like White is a boy and Plum is a girl). But, we are given a few positive things in this. It's not who stole the teddy bear around town or whatever the *beep* Clue Mysteries was about, it's a murder that takes place in Paris. It could be viewed as a fun slasher game since, I'm assuming, the clock cards are in effect in this game as well. That might be kind of fun, actually.

I'm not saying this a dream game and something we've all been waiting for, but it's not like we got another insufferable whose-pet-belongs-to-who game.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:21 pm

I don't hate it either. I don't love it, but it's not the worst. The idea's actually sort of grown on me since the last time I looked at it.

I actually think this game might be what I need to get a real six player Clue game going. My cousins, my usual playmates, have begun to refuse to play with me because they're tired of Colonel Mustard with the Candlestick in the Lounge. But, a modern spin, with teenage characters might be able to entice them to join me again.

Even if it's Sally Scarlet with the Nail Polish at the Eiffel Tower, I'll take it. As much as I love a good old fashioned mystery and my classic editions, Clue's no fun with nobody to play with.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:27 pm

PeachFreak wrote:Even if it's Sally Scarlet with the Nail Polish at the Eiffel Tower, I'll take it. As much as I love a good old fashioned mystery and my classic editions, Clue's no fun with nobody to play with.
You have a point.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:36 pm

I believe that it won't be a traditional "themed" game. I think it will be more like secrets and spies, in the sense that it will have a departure from traditional gameplay.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 pm

PeachFreak wrote:Does anyone else feel the setting is utterly random? ...I'd figure they'd use a high school or something, not dump the game in Paris for some "OMG intrigue." It's reminding me of the Lizzie Mcguire movie for some reason. ... I may pick it up eventually just to add it to my collection, along with the Juicy Couture edition.
I think the Paris setting has something to do with the official announcement of what the new Clue movie will be:

"Clue" will be turned into a mystery ... called "A global thriller and transmedia event that uses deductive reasoning as its storytelling engine."

If I had to pick, I would go with the Juicy Couture edition ... at least it looks like Clue.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:03 pm

A new Clue game comes out, and the pitchforks come out. Why am I not surprised? I find this new approach to the game interesting. While I am not a fan of Harry Potter Clue or the Office Clue, that is mostly attributed to the fact that I am no fan of Harry Potter or the Office. The premise of Clue - a body, possible suspects, possible weapons, possible crime scenes, a reliance of deduction - remains intact. Why shouldn't the core of Clue be adapted to appeal to more people?

Yes, the traditional version of Clue is a country estate with a colonel, professor, a wrench, and a billiard room, but that is because Clue's roots go back to the early-mid 1900s. It is now 2009. Clue is a game owned by a company whose goal is profit. Clue is a logic game at its core that can have any template applied to it. If it's going to be high school kids in Paris, so be it.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:15 pm

munitzer wrote:A new Clue game comes out, and the pitchforks come out. Why am I not surprised? I find this new approach to the game interesting. While I am not a fan of Harry Potter Clue or the Office Clue, that is mostly attributed to the fact that I am no fan of Harry Potter or the Office. The premise of Clue - a body, possible suspects, possible weapons, possible crime scenes, a reliance of deduction - remains intact. Why shouldn't the core of Clue be adapted to appeal to more people?

Yes, the traditional version of Clue is a country estate with a colonel, professor, a wrench, and a billiard room, but that is because Clue's roots go back to the early-mid 1900s. It is now 2009. Clue is a game owned by a company whose goal is profit. Clue is a logic game at its core that can have any template applied to it. If it's going to be high school kids in Paris, so be it.

Your right, it is 2009, not 1949. Once more the world benefits when Clue is up-to-date as a shining beacon of progress.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.