1985 Release Date: VCR Clue vs. Clue Film

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Tannerman
Snoop

1985 Release Date: VCR Clue vs. Clue Film

Post by Tannerman » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm assuming most of you diehards know this, but can I assume that VCR Clue was the first video presentation of the Clue characters -- give that the film came out in December 1985? Does anyone actually know what month the VCR game was released?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Looks like it was Fall 1985 according to this site. This seems about right, considering this site's article which indicates it was a Christmas gift purchase, and the movie came out December 13. Either way the video game would have preceded the film. Now which version did audiences see first? Most likely saw the film first.

However, I would argue it doesn't matter since, theoretically, the characters in the movie were not actually the characters from the game as presented in the video. The characters in the movie were "assigned" the Clue names as pseudonyms by Wadsworth to conceal their real identities. The characters in the video by comparison were the actual characters from the game. In which case, the characters have never actually ever appeared in the cinema, but only on video and television.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tannerman
Snoop

Post by Tannerman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Looks like it was November 1985 according to this site. This seems about right, considering this site's article which indicates it was a Christmas gift purchase, and the movie came out December 13.
Thanks for sharing those links. Very helpful!