Finding Clue Rules

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Finding Clue Rules

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm looking for the original 1949 rules for both Cluedo and Clue.

I've been over to Cluedofan.com, The World of Clue, Cluedopedie, and a few others, but have not really found much detail as far as the evolution of the rules are concerned.

I would love to find something like this Monopoly site that details the changes in the Cluedo rules.

Anybody know a good source for this, or have the resources to do it themselves? Thanks!
Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:40 pm

You can find several pdfs of the clue rules at Hasbro.com

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks, I was looking in the wrong place ... was surprised to see 1950s Clue at this link.

However, Hasbro won't let me link to other contries' customer support, so I don't have access to potential early editions of the instructions for Cluedo. They only offer one in the US.

Actually, these aren't the original rules, but from later gamesets. They look suspiciously like the 70's era instructions.

I would still like to see the 1949 edition rules, to see if there were any changes to the instructions as there was to the box sets. So if anyone knows the whereabouts of such things, please do provide the clues ... ;-)

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 am

I believe the rules to the earlier Cluedo games are the same as all the other regular Cluedo and Clue games. Clue game instructions have not changed over the years, until the Reinvention, as far as I know.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:12 am

The original CLUEDO rules are VERY wordy, and read more like a legal document than rules for a board game. Early American editions make reference to the game existing in a world of its own, much like a play. I know the CLUEDO rules stayed wordy for years (my pocket edition from the 1980s reads just like my standard edition from 1965), and based on the games I have, the American editions began using the rules we all know in the 1972 edition. I would imagine that since CLUEDO didn't get a major face-lift until 1996, the rules remained the same until then. The 2002 American edition included new references to Inspector Brown and the storyline developed for that edition (I assume the UK edition was similarly formatted).

The biggest differences in the rules between CLUEDO and CLUE are/were:
  • CLUEDO offered a list of rooms the weapons might have been found in, and suggested that players place the weapons in those rooms at the start of the game.
  • The original CLUEDO rules also tell players to place unused suspect tokens into rooms on the board.
  • CLUE instructs all tokens to be placed on their respective start squares, and for players to use whichever one is closest to them at the start of the game.
It should go without saying that today, both CLUE and CLUEDO (Discover the Secrets) use the same rule books.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:50 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:The biggest differences in the rules between CLUEDO and CLUE are/were:
Thanks for the clarification. That's a lot of what I was looking for.

Another set of differences, which are not particularly rules, but information I have discovered is that in early instructions it claims Dr. Black was found in one of the rooms and the envelope was placed on the "X" in the middle of the board. Later instructions say that Black was found on the "X" at the bottom of the Cellar stairs.

These are the differences I would like to see compared as the original game evolved. Unfortunately all I have to on are the first pages of these rules from the Clue and Cludeo collection sections ...

Also, when was it asserted that Scarlett discovered Dr. Black at the bottom of the stairs ... thus leading to her going first?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 pm

I picked up a copy of the 1956 US Clue board game as well as the 1965 Cluedo edition. Both had a nice set of instructions which I will include here for comparison. Links are included for the full-sized images.

From Cluedo 1965 edition, copyright 1949.

Cluedo Page 1-2

Cluedo Page 3-4
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:16 pm

From Clue 1956 edition copyright 1949 & 1950.

Clue Page 1

Clue Page 2

Clue Page 3

Clue Page 4

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Note

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:02 am

I seem to remember that there are changes of allowable movement between a few versions. For a few years there you were able to move through a room as though it were just another space. I don't think that's in the first or the current rules, but somewhere in the middle, there, like in the 70's or 80's.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.