New Clue games

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Theme Games

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Quadsworth wrote:Yes, family guy or south park don't needlessly give a hip facelift to clue to appeal to a new generation :wink:
Personally, I see these games as guilty-pleasures.

I happen to be a Simpson's fan and think they've done a really good job with the adaptation (at least the first edition with Smither's as White). I see it the same way as Simpson's Monopoly. Sometimes it's fun just to immerse myself into that world.

What I prefer in both of these games is something that evokes the original standard which also reflects the degree of importance I place on the games. To that end, I have the Franklin Mint edition of Monopoly. However, I don't feel they did as good a job adapting the Clue game. It seems to be ornamentation for extravagance sake without really evoking the spirit of the game. I prefer the Clue/Sorry wooden box edition, though I crave the simplistic and handsome style of the original UK Cluedo sets for which there seem to be far fewer "deluxe" sets.

In the end, for me tradition is at the heart of the game, just as it is with Monopoly. Having grown up with the US 1972 "psychedelic" version, I have a much greater appreciation for the earlier and most enduring vision.

Scrunchy3
Suspect

Post by Scrunchy3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:44 pm

It appears that Clue Family Guy edition is coming

http://www.urban-collector.com/family-g ... -game.html

Scrunchy3
Suspect

Post by Scrunchy3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:45 pm

It appears that Clue Family Guy edition is coming

Scrunchy3
Suspect

Post by Scrunchy3 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm just surprised there has been no Law and Order or CSI Clue editions

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm not surprised. Aside from the crime aspect, they don't evoke Clue very well.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 am

I don't think CSI needs a clue game. There has been a few CSI board games where you have to solve the murders.

rye9969
Suspect

Post by rye9969 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:52 pm

I'm surprised that they haven't made a Muppets Clue.

They have done the Muppets Monopoly, and Muppets are known to parody stories.

This would be a spoof on some sort of Jewel Heist like in The Great Muppet Caper.

The jewel has been stolen, and the suspects have all ended up on a river boat up the Nile.

Who stole the priceless jewel? What was used to make their getaway to the river boat? Where did they hide it?

Kermit - Green
Piggy - Scarlet
Fozzie - Mustard
Gonzo - Plum
Swedish Chef - White
Sam the Eagle - Peacock

Modes of transport (weapon's)

Roadster
Motorcycle
Bicycle
Hot Air Balloon
Train
Horseback

Rooms on the boat

Luxury Suite
Control Room
Engine Room
Dining Room
Galley
Lounge
Sun Deck
Storage Compartment
Bottom of the River

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 am

edit

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:59 pm

Well Toy Fair ended yesterday and Winning Moves has still not put the new Clue games on their website. But the report is in from a reviewer in attendance.

It seems Winning Moves was getting a lot of attention while Hasbro was showing off yet another failed reinvention of Monopoly, which looks an awful lot like the original 1933 homemade version. Their electronic Scrabble game, seems to be of more interest mainly because of the technology involved. Once again Hasbro giving Cluedo the shaft following its 60th anniversary. But the big hits seem to be Winning Move's wooden Rubik's Cube. The NES USB controller looks pretty cool, especially for those of us who want to play those old Clue games in emulation on our computers using the original game controllers.
ImageImage

Scrunchy3
Suspect

Post by Scrunchy3 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Scrunchy3 wrote:It appears that Clue Family Guy edition is coming

artwork is up now

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Interesting. Not surprisingly, Stewie is playing a female character (good call, Cluedokid). Perhaps they avoided making him Mrs. White so as not to appear to be copying The Simpsons edition where Smithers is Mrs. White? Wish we could see more. I'm sure Lois is Scarlet, leaving Meg as White. Brian is probably Plum, although with the nerdy thing they may give it to Chris. Also curious as to how the board will look. The rooms in the Griffin home don't really seem to lend themselves to a board game featuring 9 rooms, as most of the action takes place in the living room at the front of the house and the kitchen in the back. They've shown the dining room as well, I suppose, and bedrooms. Still, though, doesn't seem like it would fit. I'm eager to see more of this.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:Not surprisingly, Stewie is playing a female character
How exactly do you figure Stewie is playing a female character in a top hat? He is in a blue tux with a very prominent green decoration on the band with a matching green cummerbund, suggesting he is Mr. Green, but a male in any case. However, even if he is playing Peacock, they've clearly changed the character to a Mr. Peacock. I'm hoping that isn't the final artwork as the photo indicates, because either way, it is not very satisfying. And the box is not very appealing as it is.

As for the cross-dressing thing with Mrs. White, Smithers is no longer White in the Simpson's game anyway. But considering the debate that Family Guy steals all its ideas from the Simpsons anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a consideration.

As for keeping it all in the Griffin's house, I'm in total agreement, it's kind of uninteresting. I think they missed the mark here.

But what will really be interesting to see are the weapons. I'm at a loss to think of anything particularly unique to Family Guy, the way the poisoned donut and slingshot are to the Simpsons.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:Not surprisingly, Stewie is playing a female character
How exactly do you figure Stewie is playing a female character in a top hat? He is in a blue tux with a very prominent green decoration on the band with a matching green cummerbund, suggesting he is Mr. Green, but a male in any case. However, even if he is playing Peacock, they've clearly changed the character to a Mr. Peacock. I'm hoping that isn't the final artwork as the photo indicates, because either way, it is not very satisfying. And the box is not very appealing as it is.
I feel it's pretty obvious that Stewie is playing Peacock, as his hat has a peacock feather. Sure, it may be "Mister" Peacock, but we still have him choosing to be a character typically played by a female. It may not be as obvious as him in a wig, but still a female character.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:his hat has a peacock feather.
If that's true (I can't tell what it is), then they really have no balls and have totally violated the spirit of the TV series.

Not only have they changed the nature of the original Cluedo characters, but changing the sex to match Stewie's own does not in any way convey he is playing a female character, despite what the character's original sex was. I don't buy it. You might as well say that in the 1960s Swedish (or 1970s Spanish) edition, that Madame Curry (or Professora Rubio) was actually a transvestite because Colonel Mustard is traditionally a man.

Believe what you want, but it's a cop out and doesn't work if true. In which case, Brian could easily be Mrs. White, because he's white. Obviously they've changed the gender of the characters for whatever reason. Perhaps the reason you suggest, however: it doesn't work – it's politically correct Hasbro BS and probably why Smithers as Mrs. White was dumped in the third Simpsons' edition.

I will definitely be interested to see more details here. Will Stewie's card say "Mr. Peacock"? In which case, the entire association to playing a female role is lost. If it says "Mrs. Peacock", then the picture will make no sense. Or will it just say "Peacock" a la reinvention? Yeah, that's probably what they will do. In which case, the association is lost. As in Discover the Secrets, all character identity is lost in the names. Actually, it looks like in the 24, Juicy Couture, Harry Potter, etc. games that they don't use the original Clue character names at all, just the theme names, so it will likely just be "Stewie". This then is a major departure to the way Clue was licensed before the reinvention and yet another nail in the Classic Cluedo coffin, as now players just chose the blue, red, or green piece, with no meaning behind the colors or character association.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Yes, in all likelihood it will simply say "Peacock," thus eliminating the need for him to be in drag. However, I stand by the belief that the character was chosen for him because it was typically female. I'm not sure I buy your comparison to other foreign editions. Those are completely different characters for different cultures. Here we have a famous television character that will be portraying a character known to most people around the world as Mrs. Peacock. Regardless of what he's wearing, the choice is clearly (at least to me) a reference to Stewie's own confused gender/sexual identity crisis.

It's different from the Disney versions of the game, which feature Mickey as the white pawn, because those games distance themselves from the original Clue game by not referring to Mickey as "Mr. White" or whatever. He is simply Mickey Mouse. He's wearing a white tux, so his pawn has a white base. We only see two characters for this Family Guy game. Peter, who appears to have some kind of cane or sword and wearing gold/yellow, and Stewie, wearing a blue suit and a top hat that has some sort of feather/jeweled something or other on his hat. Peter doesn't carry a cane ever. Stewie doesn't typically wear that outfit. These are clearly Family Guy characters playing Clue characters, or variations of them, and drawing attention to that fact. That's how I think you can make the argument that it's a deliberate choice to make Stewie Peacock. He could have easily been Plum, as he's smart and has a lab in his bedroom.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 am

Niteshade007 wrote:Yes, in all likelihood it will simply say "Peacock,"
Actually I think it will just say "Stewie" as it does in all the other post reinvention collector's editions. As with the Disney version, the colors will have no association with the characters. Stewie will no longer be associated with Mrs. Peacock except to experienced Clue players who know what character is traditionally blue. They may have chosen Peacock for him for that reason, but there's going to be Family Guy fans who have never played Clue and a whole generation who may have only played the Disney version, or other editions that eliminate the association.

However, I think because they made Peter Col. Mustard, that set a lot of the other character's assignments. I actually think Peacock makes much more sense for Stewie than White (and the one character CluedoKid got wrong). Stewie would play Green best closest to his own personality (as a conniving capitalist), then Plum (the mad scientist), then Peacock (the grand aristocrat). I could even see him as Scarlett (the confused sexpot). But the other characters cement him as Peacock – he should simply dress the part.
Niteshade007 wrote:Stewie doesn't typically wear that outfit.
Stewie wears a tux with a top hat all the time. I'm sure I've seen him wear that exact blue 70s tux too. When I saw that picture on the box, I thought it was just a temporary still taken straight from the show.

All I'm saying is they made a politically correct choice which serves neither Clue nor the show, and unless you are a Clue fan of a certain age, you may not make the association. How many of my relatives constantly get the names of the characters wrong and they've played the game for years? If I asked them what color Mrs. Peacock was, I doubt some of them would know, nor would they know the name of the blue character.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:52 pm

While Monopoly is not a particularly interesting (or welcome) topic on these boards, I read a little more about whit turns out to be their 75th Anniversary edition board (and thanks for honoring Cluedo's 65th guys), Monopoly Revolution.

Boardgame Geek has some interesting pictures of it. Whatever you think of Monopoly, this is horrible and a good indicator of what Hasbro thinks of tradition.

But the most interesting thing for me are the tokens: gone are the familiar pewter tokens, replaced with the same kind of plastic movers they gave Clue: DTS. But in a way, they are actually an improvement, over the cheaply constructed Clue ones. But considering the tokens are the most charming and beloved aspect of Monopoly, that they would do this ... I guess we are lucky they didn't decide to take this route with the weapons too ... or do we have that indignity to look forward to soon?

Oh and it has electronic money and dice and plays music! Wow! Can't wait for them to add that to Clue! :x

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 am

Uh oh...

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:24 am

Murder by Death wrote:Oh and it has electronic money and dice and plays music! Wow! Can't wait for them to add that to Clue! :x
Ever played Clue FX?

While the sound effects were not my favorite aspect of Clue FX, I won't deny that they added something to the game. What exactly that something is, I'm not exactly sure. Just to see how it would turn out, I would like to see an FX-styled game applied to the house. A tinning of a piano when you enter the ballroom ... the chirping of birds and running of water when you enter the conservatory ... the pattering of heels as Miss Scarlet leaves the room ....
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:37 pm

As long as the FX complement the game and don't mess with the asthetic design, then I don't see any issues.