Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Detective

Re: Clue Current Thoughts

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:19 pm

BBP, I’m sorry for what you have to deal with
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:52 am

Ohhh, yeah thank you again for all the effort that has to go in to removing spam bots and spam posts.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 pm
Oh ****, spam bots hit really hard, two pages worth.
Now up to 4-5 pages of SPAM, with someone/thing named "Kebllyoreno" currently at 184 SPAM posts/threads (and still online . . . still SPAMMING)!!!

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:22 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am
CluedoKid wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:00 pm
Oh ****, spam bots hit really hard, two pages worth.
Now up to 4-5 pages of SPAM, with someone/thing named "Kebllyoreno" currently at 184 SPAM posts/threads (and still online . . . still SPAMMING)!!!
"Kebllyoreno" now has 201 SPAM posts since Friday (about 25 hours ago?) . . . and is still going strong!

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm

I'm guessing it takes a long time to wade through all the spam, and moderators have other things going on as well outside the forum, so all we can really do at this stage is wait and hope it can be cleared up.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm
I'm guessing it takes a long time to wade through all the spam, and moderators have other things going on as well outside the forum, so all we can really do at this stage is wait and hope it can be cleared up.
I'm assuming there is an option to just ban an individual and eliminate all the threads they created, but I don't know.

I do know their profiles say "Last active:Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:04 pm" for Michael and "Last active:Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am" for BBP. (Is Tum around much? I'm not sure if there's been a post from him since back in December?)

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Especially with it happening on a weekend, it could take some time for moderators to get to it and sort it all out. Hopefully since it is mostly that 'Kebllyoreno' spam bot you mentioned, all the posts made by it can be removed a bit easier.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:47 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:17 pm
coinilius wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm
I'm assuming there is an option to just ban an individual and eliminate all the threads they created, but I don't know.

I do know their profiles say "Last active:Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:04 pm" for Michael and "Last active:Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:47 am" for BBP. (Is Tum around much? I'm not sure if there's been a post from him since back in December?)
From the posts I saw of Tum's, he's not really active.

Edit: BBP's a girl
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:19 pm

There's Tum and Michael who are both admins. I haven't seen Tum ever, been here since 2012.

Michael went absent last year (after barely posting for a few months) and we hadn't heard of him until he popped back up this month. I have seen him twice since. He hasn't been doing much in the sense of moderating.

So there's just me, and there has been just me for quite some time, and I am a human being - I sleep and have a job, a boyfriend, and my father I take care of. I actually check TAOM at work if I can but that's not always possible. I was off to visit a concert of my favourite band and was away for 48 hours - it's bad luck that a bot that makes a new topic every few minutes, got in around that time. If it happens in the future, please be sure that I don't just abandon you. Like all of you I just may not have time or connection at the moment.

Plus you might want to refrain from posting if one of those spammers comes along - I have to whittle my way through all pages to delete them. Unlike admins I don't have the power to delete all posts by a member in one go - if I have a brief concentration lapse while whittling down all of these I may accidentally delete a topic, and since I can't back up or replace (only Michael would be able to do that) there is absolutely nothing I can do about a topic I delete by accident.

Banning a user is a tool that you use to make sure somebody who is being nasty doesn't post anymore for a set amount of time as a punishment (so you can set a cool-down period). Banning spammers works in the sense that the one that posted every five minutes can't post anymore, but really they should be deleted, not banned.
If you check the member's list, you'll see a lot of links to malicious sites that spammers put as URL in their profile. I can do nothing about that - all I can do is ban but I can't delete members or alter profiles. These links could actually give TAOM a bad standing with Google (as in, the site won't show up in Google when you search for it).

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 pm

Thank you again for all the work you do to keep this forum running as smoothly as it does, especially when there are so many things you can’t do like delete the spam members etc - I know I only joined recently but I’ve really been enjoying my time here and appreciate the effort you’re putting in to keep things as they are

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am

coinilius wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:49 pm
Thank you again for all the work you do to keep this forum running as smoothly as it does, especially when there are so many things you can’t do like delete the spam members etc - I know I only joined recently but I’ve really been enjoying my time here and appreciate the effort you’re putting in to keep things as they are
Ditto :)

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 am

*Posting to here too to highlight this.*

In Melbourne (Australia) there's the AFI Research Collection and in there are some of the Australian Cluedo scripts.

The details of them are at: https://www.austlit.edu.au/austlit/page/C855113 (you get 5 free views of this page per user)

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 am

idkahoy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 am

In Melbourne (Australia) there's the AFI Research Collection and in there are some of the Australian Cluedo scripts.

The details of them are at: https://www.austlit.edu.au/austlit/page/C855113 (you get 5 free views of this page per user)
I mentioned this in the other thread, but will throw it in here as well - I used to watch the Australian version of Cluedo all the time when it was on, so this is quite cool to see.

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:35 am

coinilius wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 am
idkahoy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 am

I mentioned this in the other thread, but will throw it in here as well - I used to watch the Australian version of Cluedo all the time when it was on, so this is quite cool to see.
It's cool that the scripts exist. But it's not cool that I can't bloody read them!! :D

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:06 am

There's some episodes on YouTube, but they are of questionable quality.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm

coinilius wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:06 am
There’s a Facebook group with more episodes
https://www.facebook.com/groups/72700944890/?ref=share

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 pm

coinilius wrote:
Some of them are here too: https://archive.org/details/CluedoOz

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:56 pm
coinilius wrote:
There’s a Facebook group with more episodes
https://www.facebook.com/groups/72700944890/?ref=share
Some of them are here too: https://archive.org/details/CluedoOz

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for those links!

EDIT: I had a thought about Clue(do) recently that actually kind of irked me - I saw an ad for Vodka Cruisers (an alcoholic drink that comes in bright colours for the different flavours) and it made me realise that, from a colour perspective, Dr Orchid actually fits better than Mrs White - the ad had the drinks lined up by colour - Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Pink, Red. I mean, the board itself doesn't lay them out that way via the starting spaces, although it almost does, but Orchid's pink gives you a nicer gradation of colours.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 am