Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:12 pm

One of my friends finally got around to exchanging Christmas gifts. He saw this shirt and couldn't help himself.

Here's an image of the shirt I'm wear as I type.

I loled as did everyone else.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:18 pm

kova wrote:One of my friends finally got around to exchanging Christmas gifts. He saw this shirt and couldn't help himself.
Glad you got one. Love that design as was discussed previously here. It's the Cat equivalent of Dogs Playing Poker.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Congrats on the gift, kova. It's always nice to have novelty Clue items.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:25 pm

I saw it then but forgot about it. I sorta wish I had more but I would rarely wear them.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Does anyone here have phases where they're really into Clue, and then you just lose interest, and then 2 months later you like it again?

Maybe not, but I do. Right now I'm vaguely interested. But I'm due for my Clue-loving to flare up.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:04 pm

YES, I certainly do. Slowly getting back into it thanks to a Miss Marple movie on Turner Classic Movies.

Played my first game of the 72 edition the other day. The game's in great condition minus the Knife and Lead Pipe tokens missing. Anyways, Professor Plum did it with the Rope both times!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:29 pm

I did for a while back in 05

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 pm

I was in the library today and what should I happen to unintentionally stumble upon but Clue Mysteries by Vicki Cameron. Well I obviously had to pick it up and I began reading. The stories are poorly written and frankly quite boring but nonetheless it still has the comfort and charm of Clue.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:30 pm

Today I saw "Seinfeld Clue" in a video store. I just wanted to cry. What has Clue been dragged down to?

ndx47a2b
Suspect

Post by ndx47a2b » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 am

-edit-
Last edited by ndx47a2b on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 am

I don't have a problem with Seinfeld Clue, or The Simpson's Clue, or Family Guy Clue, etc. These are collector's editions which take the same old concept we've all grown up with and put a humorous twist on it, paying homage, not desecrating the game. I think it helps keep Clue alive.

The problem is when Hasbro starts issuing official games which lower the overall standard. Discover the Secrets and Secrets In Paris drop the bar pretty low for the franchise.

Don't want Seinfeld Clue? Don't buy it. But up until 2008, at least you had the choice of a traditional version of clue. Now you have some perversion of the original concept that is neither a theme, nor collectable – just a vacuous and banal exercise in vanity, with poor artwork to boot.

The Seinfeld game is clever and well drawn. I can't say the same for the Office, or 24 (Hasbro should have standards for the artwork in licensed products). But Harry Potter is brilliant, the Disney editions are great, Scooby Doo is very clever, as are the Simpsons and Alfred Hithcock. I think these are great additions to the Cluedo family. But additions only. They cannot substitute for the core product which sadly has no substance of any kind anymore. It is a sad day indeed when the tribute is more interesting than the original.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:47 pm

I made Mad Men Clue characters a while ago. I never got to posting them. A few more will follow.

Mrs. Peacock:

mrla

Post by mrla » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:09 am

I've thought of Carry on...Cluedo. Using some of the Carry on actors for the Cluedo suspects. Charles Hawtrey could be Professor Plum etc.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Just ordered the new Clue Game and a new copy of MaBM

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Does anyone else think Scarlet and Peacock have been switched here?

http://www.lib.umd.edu/RARE/SpecialColl ... welBox.jpg

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Adam106 wrote:Does anyone else think Scarlet and Peacock have been switched here?

http://www.lib.umd.edu/RARE/SpecialColl ... welBox.jpg
He he. Interesting.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Yes!

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:35 pm

I found a Clue movie website that I don't think has been mentioned here before. It's not the best, but here it is:

http://www.fortunecity.se/jarlkullen/ha ... index.html

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:31 pm

That was one of the first Clue websites. I remember seeing it about 10 years ago!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

I was reading Richard Dawkin's book The God Delusion when I noticed a long reference to Clue:
Unwin could equally well have used a hypothetical murder as his test case to demonstrate Baye's Theorem. The detective marshals the evidence. The fingerprints on the revolver point to Mrs Peacock. Quantify that suspicion by slapping a numerical likelihood on her. Reduce the suspicion by a corresponding numerical value. The forensic evidence suggests a 70 % likelihood that the revolver was fired accurately from a long difference, which argues for a culprit with military training. Quantify our raised suspicion of Colonel Mustard. The Rev. Green has the most plausible motive for murder. Increase our numerical assessment of his likelihood. But the long blond hair on the victim's jacket could only belong to Miss Scarlet... and so on.
He then notes, at the bottom of the page:
The Reverend Green is the character's name in the versions of Cluedo sold in Britain (where the game originated), Australia, New Zealand, India and all other English speaking areas except North America, where he suddenly beocmes Mr Green. What is that all about?