Clue Blinkie and other card art

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 pm

Interesting article. I have to redo the Shillelagh card anyway (the type is too high) so I'll probably change it to Cudgel. Thanks for the link!

Alas, still no progress on the board tiles. Several experiments have failed, so it's back to the old drawing board.

Meanwhile, here's an extra set of cards to use to play the game centered on a theft rather than a murder. All the silhouettes were made from images found at Welcome to Boddy Manor.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Nice.

The gold pen looks alittle like a knife in a sort of way.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:57 pm

Black wrote:The gold pen looks alittle like a knife in a sort of way.
I thought so too...

Very good regardless

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Love the project. Love that you included the characters from the Mobil £5 Million Cluedo Mystery. Are you also including characters from the UK TV series? Most are victims only but there were a few introductions like Mr. White. How about the video game Fatal Illusion, which introduced Ian Masque, Marina Popov, Martin Urfe, and Sabata.

I think Nurse White (of the patent version) and Mrs. White are one in the same by the way. And I like that Mr. White may be her husband.

I like that you decided to have a mix-n-match game. I've been wrestling with a similar problem myself and came up with a similar solution. And this is likely as good a thread as any since you brought it up.

Why did Pratt's original patent have 9 rooms, 9 suspects and 9 weapons, yet by the time Waddingtons published it, it had been reduced to 9, 6 & 6? Adding to the mystery was Pratt's initial limitation to 8 actual players. Actually I have an answer for that one ... with 24 left-over cards in a 9/9/9 game after the solution cards are removed, that leaves 3 cards for player and results in more evenly divisible number of cards for reduced number of players as well.

I always wished as a kid that there were enough weapons for each room when setting up the game. Now, I wonder why there aren't enough suspects for each weapon & room as well. Seems only logical.

That said, in a mix-n-match game, is there any reason one couldn't play with as many rooms, suspects or weapons as they liked? So I could play my 9/9/9 game as well as utilize the two additional start spaces on the board. I could probably even start a 9th player (or more) in the middle.

One limiting factor on the rooms would be the board itself. I'm thinking in addition to the cards, you are planning on having board inserts to change the rooms on the game itself. Of course you could always have the secret passages be paths to 4 additional rooms on a smaller ancillary board, expanding the number of rooms to 13. The Cellar could also be returned to use for a 14 room game and of course it could go up from there by adding more rooms to the satellite board (as well as more starting spaces). I'm imagining a wooden board with a tempered-glass top which could be removed to switch out the rooms and player starting spots.

As for the detective notes, I don't see a problem filling in the blanks. In fact that would probably help with the cheating (intentional or accidental) as players could put them in any order they liked. It also helps ensure that the proper cards make it into the game. Imagine the horror after a marathon game and it is revealed the wrong card not intended to be used in the game was inadvertently included in the solutions envelope.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:40 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Are you also including characters from the UK TV series? ... How about the video game Fatal Illusion
Probably not, but maybe. I knew this would be a complicated undertaking so I decided to limit myself to only US and UK board games. No foreign editions, no Junior editions, no themed editions (like Disney, Simpsons, Harry Potter, etc.), no books or puzzles. Otherwise, I could go on forever. However, I have decided to bend my rule just slightly. I decided to pick one (and only one) character from the standard international editions, one from the spinoff international editions and one from the Clue Jr.s.

I wanted to include "Asian spy" Scarlet, but not at the expense of losing vapid actress Scarlet. It seemed logical to bring her in by the only unique name the Asian Scarlet ever had.

I wanted a pink character (I've never thought of Rose and Peach as shades of pink), plus she will work well for something I've got in mind for the instruction book and suspect bios I'm creating.

The clear choice of which Clue Club kid to include: Young Peter Plum is the only one who is in every Clue Jr. game. The rest change their names or their gender or their ethnicity. Plus, Case of the Missing Glasses says he's Prof. Plum's son, and that will also tie in to something I have in mind for the instruction book.

There are a few elements I might, might, pull in from other non-board games, and I'll definitely incorporate the VCR games.

I've also decided I need more weapons, so I've bent my rule again to include any international games that are in English (I've found very few). Doing so has allowed me to add the three weapons unique to the Japanese Mystery Game pictured at Cluedofan.com.

ImageImageImage

I also decided that the Hitchcock Clue needed to be represented because technically, it's not a theme edition in the same sense as the others. It still involves Boddy's murder and the suspects are the usual six, just in costume as Hitchcock characters for a party. I decided to pick one of the Hitchcock weapons to include in my game. The bomb and the poker already were in the Patent, the knife is one of the standard weapons anyway, and the oven and the seagull seemed a bit ridiculous out of context, so I opted for the necktie.

Finally, here's a room I left out:

(from the Patent)

Oh, and I also re-did Col. Yellow's card. I never was happy with the original. The new one is with the other suspects on Page 4 of the thread.
Murder by Death wrote:I think Nurse White (of the patent version) and Mrs. White are one in the same by the way.
Well, so do I, but I wanted to be historically accurate. As I mentioned, I'm working on an instruction booklet and character bios that will explain all. (But it's a massive undertaking, so it will be quite a while before I finished. It all makes sense in my head, but getting it down onto paper is another matter. I have a notebook full of ideas, though.)

As for the Board, it will be tiles, like Super Sleuth. I've finished just one so far. I also have ideas for how to handle the Secret Passages and the Suspect Starter Squares.

Still working on the Detectives' Notepads, but I've finished the Case File envelope, and a couple more "surprises." :wink:

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Can't wait! I've always liked the idea of a lot of suspects...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:50 pm

I don't. Not for a Clue game. 6, 10, 13 even 16 perhaps, but none of this amount.

However, the purpose here I believe is to capture every single creation from Clue, so it's something else.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:The clear choice of which Clue Club kid to include: Young Peter Plum is the only one who is in every Clue Jr. game. The rest change their names or their gender or their ethnicity. Plus, Case of the Missing Glasses says he's Prof. Plum's son, and that will also tie in to something I have in mind for the instruction book.
That certainly makes a lot of sense. Then again, now you have two Plums. But a Jr. mystery-detective character like Nancy Drew is fun, though certainly alarming if found to be the bad-seed murder!

However, I tend to think of Cluedo as having a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek humor. One of my absolute favorite characters from the Cluedo canon is the Jr. game's "Mustard the Dog". I can actually envision a Lassie-type character, the psuedo-intelligent dog which thwart's the murder. Of course it might be kind of difficult for a dog, even Lassie to commit a murder as a suspect using some of the weapons – and therein lies the humour. But I don't have a problem with the idea of a dog committing pre-meditated murder especially if Mr. Boddy/Dr. Black were an abusive master.

Since the idea is to have a totally customizable game where one selects only 6 characters, etc., then you might want to include at least 6 Clue Jr. Characters anyway, assuming it is a catch-all game for all possible players.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I really love the new additions. Especially Fraulein Ming. :D

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 am

You could always at the other clue kids.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm

deleted
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:21 pm

deleted

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Just wanted to let those of you who had been following this project know that it is currently on hold. My computer is slowly dying, I can't afford to replace it just yet, and it locks up so often that I can't work on the board tiles or anything else. I hope to be able to continue work later.

Also, the Master Plum card is going away. I miscounted the number of suspects I had (I had somehow not counted Mr. Boddy :shock: ) and there's one too many for what I have planned, I don't know if I'm going to remove the card from the thread, but it won't be a part of the final game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Well I think it should be kept for the sake of your efforts to include as many Clue variables as possible.

However, I'm curious to see how you will make a game out of it. I can't see it working in the traditional sense for it would go on for eons!

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:50 am

This is the last thing I finished before I put the hold on the project: the Instruction booklet cover.

There's a reason for the train station (besides just a tip of the hat to Passport to Murder). All will be explained someday. :D

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am

It looks great!! :) :)

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm

It's very good... but I swear I've seen that train station before. Where's the picture from?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 am

I think the picture is from a mystery party kit DVD. Based on an Agatha Christie story, I think the kit is called "A First Class Murder" The picture is from the DVD menu.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 am

Black wrote:I think the picture is from a mystery party kit DVD. Based on an Agatha Christie story, I think the kit is called "A First Class Murder" The picture is from the DVD menu.
Nothing like a fresh whiff of bullshit in the morning.

It's obviously from one of those "click and find" games. Why would there be a giant spatula in the information office, or a poker chip in place of the engine's light?
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 am

I've never played one of those games before. Though now you mention a poker chip.