CLUEDO play by Robert Duncan: script here

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11102
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:26 am

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:I guess they are working on a new movie now
NO! NO, NO, NO!!!

Miss Scarlet with the dumbbell in the Theater? :x

Mr. Mustard with the Bat in the Guest House? :x

Mr. Plum with the Trophy in the Observatory? :x

User avatar
Adam106
Hatchet Man
Posts: 5759
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Adam106 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am

cacums wrote:
Poirotfrmda818 wrote:I guess they are working on a new movie now
NO! NO, NO, NO!!!

Miss Scarlet with the dumbbell in the Theater? :x

Mr. Mustard with the Bat in the Guest House? :x

Mr. Plum with the Trophy in the Observatory? :x
I think that's what it's coming too. Only, it'll probably be worse. It'll probably be Agent Scarlet having to stop Agent Black in the C.L.U.E Headquaters. :roll:

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11102
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

NO! NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!

:evil: :cry: :cry:


Maybe it will somehow get tangled with 'Comprehensive Loss Underwriters Exchange'

chaostheory1489
Private Eye
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:03 am
Location: long beach, ms

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:30 pm

I highly doubt that if a new movie's coming that it'll be based on the new game. They can mess with the boardgame all they want and people won't care that much because they can always buy an old version. But people will care a lot more if it were a movie. And it would bomb, because it'd be Clue in name only.

A perfect analogy would be an idea they had for a Batman movie about a decade ago. They wanted to get away from Batman and Robin and they ended up doing a complete 180. Batman would have been homeless, Alfred would've been a black mechanic named Big Al, and the Batmobile would have been a suped up Lincoln. Now this would've been fine to do in the comic book, because you could always say it's an alternate universe, and in seix issues or so it would be back to normal. But do you think that would have made ANY money had it been made? Of course not.

It's been shown time and time again that there are a lot of properties people don't really care too much about...until you go changing them and then suddenly you're "destroying childhood memories". This would be no different.

User avatar
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 8:50 pm

Eh

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:09 pm

chaostheory1489,


I couldn't disagree with you more. Firstly, I think the Batman idea has legs, if they could get a decent script involved. It's not what most people tune in for, but it catches a whole cache of audience the genre has never tried for before, or just never had any luck with.


Also, even if that weren't true, it's how some producers think. If I'm a Paramount executive, I'm thinking to msyelf, "You know, we tired this before and it bombed. I don't want any more crap. I want a surefire hit. Put some sizzle in the cast and some sex in the script and throw in some good explosions. What will really juice up this idea? I know, we'll do it Columbo-style. Not with the murderer at the beginning, though that's an idea, too, but just sunny and sleek and California. We'll have movie producers and starlets and people waving their body parts and in the end we'll have some kind of moral like, 'Family is Important,' or 'Money Isn't Everything,' or 'The Rich are Bastards Who Can Get Away With Anything.'"


If it doesn't get made, it'll be because board gaming is getting to be such a smallish hobby and Clue in particular is probably falling off.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

User avatar
Harlequin
Master Detective
Posts: 1964
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:03 am
Location: Space Pirate Homeworld

Post by Harlequin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I've Read the script. Grey is called Freddie instead of Alfred, but I am shocked at the Meadow-Brook, and Rusty Nayler references. I've got to think...
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

User avatar
Quadsworth
Slueth
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Post by Quadsworth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:58 pm

This is horrible! If they make this, it will bomb. That would be fine, except that they will not want to make a real clue movie remake.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:03 am
Location: long beach, ms

Re: Eh

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:If it doesn't get made, it'll be because board gaming is getting to be such a smallish hobby and Clue in particular is probably falling off.

Actually, the recession is causing boardgames to make a comeback.


And the thing is, Hasbro ultimately has no say in the final product of any movie based on one of their products. Once they sell the rights to a production company, the production company has full control. DC doesn't even have a say in movies based on their comic books, even though they and Warner Bros. are both part of the same company. That's why Marvel Comics started its own production company and makes its own movies now, because they didn't like how Fox/Columbia/etc. were handling it.

I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes, but movie studios are generally good at catching the crap early and tossing it. Also, they don't like paying anymore than they have to. So they're not going to make a virtually unrecognizable Clue movie, because they could just as easily make a movie with the exact same story and not have to license the Clue name. It's the same reason (and I'm sorry for all the comic book references; it's just what I know) that they don't make a Nick Fury movie. Because in the end, it'd just be a generic spy story and they'd basically just be paying to have the eyepatch.

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6104
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:12 pm

well, I just read through the whole thing.

I like the consistency of the characterizations and really loved Mrs. Peacock for her dry wit. The story, though, just seemed to drag on, rehashing the same facts over and over to the point it wasn't interesting. The multiple endings were a clever idea, but I don't like how there was no real way to solve the mystery. The answers were just completely random. And the ending left much to be desired.

ETA: Mrs. Peacock's complete hatred for her daughter Miss Scarlet was actually kind of funny. This is the only time I've ever actually enjoyed the idea of a mother/daughter Peacock/Scarlet. Having them completely at odds makes it very engaging.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: GA, USA

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 pm

I sent Mr. Duncan an email about our discussion, and here's his simple reply:
Hi



I rewrote it to fit in with their new characters – then it was never used!



R
I wish Hasbro would let the play be performed. It would be a great piece for community theatre groups looking for a good title to draw in the crowds.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Kristev
Crime Writer
Posts: 2520
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:12 am
Location: Idaho

Post by Kristev » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 am

Except for the ending itself, the play was rather good. Though the fact that no one seemed to be able to understand each other would only have worked if it were restricted to one character.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Michael wrote:The story, though, just seemed to drag on, rehashing the same facts over and over to the point it wasn't interesting. The multiple endings were a clever idea, but I don't like how there was no real way to solve the mystery.
Having just read it myself, I would mostly agree with your assessment. Above all I think the characterizations were spot on and a lot of fun to watch being developed.

What I will say about this play over the Movie or the Musical (and the series for that matter which merely rehash the same story over and over with different victims – odd really since nobody ever goes to jail), is that this play embodies the spirit of Cluedo. This play IS Cluedo – Almost.

In particular I liked that there was now a valid reason for the cause of Dr. Black's wounds to be unknown to the suspects, nor the location of the murder. I also really enjoyed the setup in Act 1.

But this version like all them continues to fall short. From what I've read, the inspiration for Cluedo was based in the Agatha Christie mysteries. Ten Little Indians seemingly being a primary model, in particular the model of everyone being a suspect and the suspects being put into the position of working out the mystery themselves – isolated and alone. In every production to date, that duty falls upon an outsider.

Complicating matters is the unique property of the game that every time you play it's different. Unfortunately that cannot translate well to a film or play and merely becomes a novelty, which reduces any story to that status by default. Perhaps the solution is to use that novelty to the advantage of the story by the real murderer using false clues to incriminate another suspect. Any successful production needs one ending to become meaningful fiction. As they stand, all of them sort of give us a lot of rapid-fire, mindless, and impossible to follow information during the exposition, only to deliver a random ending that has to be unconvincingly shoe-horned into the plot.

So, to date, we have still not been given a real Cluedo production. But done properly I think this play would be just as entertaining as the movie. But let's face it – half the fun of the movie was watching all those great actors and I think the producer's knew it. Perhaps also their plan was to use pseudonyms, so if it was successful, they could keep making movies based on the characters, but with different actors and stories.

But, there's no need. There have been many great mystery movies which hold their worth well after the ending has been revealed to the audience. No need to deny the same for Cluedo: write a good mystery and solve it with one satisfactory ending.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17277
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't think I'd want to watch a movie that is completely Cluedo. Suppose there was one that entirely captured the original Cluedo:

The rooms are empty except for a single name written on the floor, the actors are people dressed as giant styrofoam pawns, the big action bits would be when a giant die comes crashing down followed by a child's voice...etc.

Catch my drift?

Artistic liberties make things better adaptable to screen. That's why I love the movie so much. It goes above and beyond the game...
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:30 am

CluedoKid wrote:Catch my drift?
I'd have to be pretty obtuse to miss it ...

Certainly that was not the point I was making. As to your point, artistic license can go too far. What if John Landis' original vision had been made: "The movie was to take place in Palm Beach Florida in the 1950s because no movies have really explored that time period and for the bizarre clothing options."

I'm not saying the Clue movie took it too far, but certainly if it had been set in some Palm Beach art deco villa, with everyone wearing Panama shits and hats, much of what Clue is would have been lost – in much the same way Discover The Secrets guts a lot of what Clue is about. And if it gets made, I will be pleasantly surprised if Gore Verbinski's Clue retains the heart of the game.

What I would like to see is an honest attempt to create a story around the basic premise of the game. Use the actual 6 characters, isolate them in an English estate and force them to solve the murder of their host between them. Is that so hard? It's not like there haven't been many wonderful films that were successful despite such a stark and limited approach. Sleuth, Deathtrap, And Then There Were None, Rear Window, Arsenic & Old Lace, etc.

Certainly there must be a way to make that simple premise as entertaining in a film or play as it was for over 35 years around the family gameboard, without introducing 6 new murder victims and a brand new butler character who steals the show.

But I will say this. As much fun as the Clue movie was, it was most like your example of a literal Cluedo game in that the characters were not really the pseudonyms they were assigned, in much the same way the players are not the characters they choose. However the main difference is that even in the board game, the players assume the identities of the characters, not just the names. In fact, given the time frame of the movie, it could be assumed Wadsworth literally took the pseudonyms from the popular boardgame ... all that was missing was a tell-tale Clue game in the weapons cabinet in the study.

MrBoddy2003
Investigator
Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:26 pm

Post by MrBoddy2003 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:20 am

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:Catch my drift?
I'd have to be pretty obtuse to miss it ...

Certainly that was not the point I was making. As to your point, artistic license can go too far. What if John Landis' original vision had been made: "The movie was to take place in Palm Beach Florida in the 1950s because no movies have really explored that time period and for the bizarre clothing options."

I'm not saying the Clue movie took it too far, but certainly if it had been set in some Palm Beach art deco villa, with everyone wearing Panama shits and hats much of what Clue is would have been lost – in much the same way Discover The Secrets guts a lot of what Clue is about. And if it gets made, I will be pleasantly surprised if Gore Verbinski's Clue retains the heart of the game.

What I would like to see is an honest attempt to create a story around the basic premise of the game. Use the actual 6 characters, isolate them in an English estate and force them to solve the murder of their host between them. Is that so hard? It's not like there haven't been many wonderful films that were successful despite such a stark and limited approach. Sleuth, Deathtrap, And Then There Were None, Rear Window, Arsenic & Old Lace, etc.

Certainly there must be a way to make that simple premise as entertaining in a film or play as it was for over 35 years around the family gameboard, without introducing 6 new murder victims and a brand new butler character who steals the show.

But I will say this. As much fun as the Clue movie was, it was most like your example of a literal Cluedo game in that the characters were not really the pseudonyms they were assigned, in much the same way the players are not the characters they choose. However the main difference is that even in the board game, the players assume the identities of the characters, not just the names. In fact, given the time frame of the movie, it could be assumed Wadsworth literally took the pseudonyms from the popular boardgame ... all that was missing was a tell-tale Clue game in the weapons cabinet in the study.
Freudian Slip. There?
Frankly, Scarlett, I Think You're A Tramp!!!!

User avatar
Adam106
Hatchet Man
Posts: 5759
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Adam106 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 am

New characters introduced in the movie (Wadsworth, Yvette etc.) have been welcomed greatly by Clue fans. The movie isn't Clue entirely, but I really appreciate it, anyway. It was handled really well; it captured the elegance, the comedy, the giallo of it all brilliantly. I don't think you're going to be able to make that any more better and entertaining than it already is.

What more do you want? It's still Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom etc etc.

I think the upcoming movie will probably fail in my estimation. I can't see it being anything as good as the original. And, even if they don't go with the new Reinvention persona, they'll probably use something along the lines of the 2003 version; having Scarlet and Peacock related and such.

If you really love Clue - the original Clue - then you appreciate ANYTHING composed, whether it be a movie, a tv show, a computer video game, whatever. I get really excited when Clue is mildly referenced in sitcoms, sketch shows and any other form of media, let alone having an entire movie about it!

User avatar
Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"
Posts: 4309
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:55 am

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:Catch my drift?
I'd have to be pretty obtuse to miss it ...

Certainly that was not the point I was making. As to your point, artistic license can go too far. What if John Landis' original vision had been made: "The movie was to take place in Palm Beach Florida in the 1950s because no movies have really explored that time period and for the bizarre clothing options."

I'm not saying the Clue movie took it too far, but certainly if it had been set in some Palm Beach art deco villa, with everyone wearing Panama shits and hats, much of what Clue is would have been lost – in much the same way Discover The Secrets guts a lot of what Clue is about. And if it gets made, I will be pleasantly surprised if Gore Verbinski's Clue retains the heart of the game.
As someone from Florida, I can tell you we do not always wear Panama shirts and hats. Ultimately, I'm glad that the movie ended up being set in New England, as I think it works well for the film, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it being set in Florida. So few movies take place here.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Adam106 wrote:New characters introduced in the movie ... have been welcomed greatly by Clue fans. The movie isn't Clue entirely, but I really appreciate it, anyway.
Just so I'm not misunderstood here ... I really appreciate the 1985 movie as well. Heck I appreciate it all. I do think it was really well done. I merely point out that no one has yet created a stand alone story that really captures the basic set-up of the game. This Cluedo play comes the closest I have seen to what I imagined in my head, but it too has problems.

Sadly, nobody thought to consult Anthony Pratt until it was all too late. From everything I have read online about him, nobody thought to ask his opinion until about 1990 by which point he was fast sliding down a slope to his death in 1994. So we'll never know what he thought about the 1985 film, play, VCR game and new characters added to the universe he created in the last decade before his death. But I would question adding a butler, something it appears they went out of their way to avoid – one it smacks of elitism and two, the butler always did it. Mrs. White seems to be the concession to that concept of "the help" and to avoid the stereotype. Is there any reason Wadsworth could not have been Mrs. White instead?

One of the greatest things about Clue is that it can be adapted to almost any situation effectively, so that's not really the issue. The movie was fun, and felt like Clue and that's all that matters. What I'm suggesting is that: O.K. we have that movie – now, I would like to see a movie that sticks entirely to the original premise. But I doubt we get that anytime soon.

My guess is you don't have to look much farther than Transformers to know what Hasbro has in mind for movies based on their brands, and Discover the Secrets to know where they intend to take Clue. I see Hasbro wiping the slate clean with the established canon (Miss Scarlet being Peacock's daughter, etc.), which only bogs down the ability to tell a new story. And Verbinski will most likely make Clue epic, with an elaborate pre-murder story that takes place in exotic locations with numerous other characters, and likely a wrap-around that sees the reveled murder effecting an elaborate action-filled getaway. And it is unlikely to take place in an English country house, per se. I imagine something like Robert Zemeckis' "Death Becomes Her". But the closest Verbinski has come was "Mousehunt" which could in theory be based on the boardgame "Mouse Trap". So really it's up to Hasbro which is actually a producer now, unlike Parker Bros who seemed relatively hands off the 1985 film.

User avatar
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:45 pm
Location: GA, USA

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Out of curiosity, did anyone download this & save a copy? I've lost the original emails between Mr. Duncan & myself, and if I ever saved a copy it's long gone. Would very much like to read it again.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:04 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:Out of curiosity, did anyone download this & save a copy? I've lost the original emails between Mr. Duncan & myself, and if I ever saved a copy it's long gone. Would very much like to read it again.
I should still have it. Wouldn't you know my Mac is out for repair and I don't have access to my hard drive at the moment. But I'll look as soon as I can.

Post Reply