CLUEDO play by Robert Duncan: script here

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

CLUEDO play by Robert Duncan: script here

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:00 am

First, my email correspondence with Mr. Duncan:
Dear Robert , I would like to talk to you about your. . .play CLUEDO. My name is Sam Gresham. I'm an aspiring actor living in suburban Georgia, USA. A local theatre company I perform with is interested in doing a stage version of CLUE this summer, but all they can find available in the US is the musical, and they don't quite have the funds to mount a musical production. Being a rabid CLUE(do) fan myself, i remembered reading about a stage version which had been very popular in the UK, so a few Google searches later, here I am writing this email to inquire about performance rights in the US. If the play can be performed in the US, please, please, PLEASE contact the president of the theatre company, Sherry Ingbritsen as soon as possible. The theatre company is New Dawn Theatre Company, based in Duluth, GA.

Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you!

--Sam Gresham

PS
If it turns out that we cannot do the play, I would still REALLY like to read your script. If you know how I could obtain a copy, that would be fantastic! Thanks!

---
Hi Sam

Because of Parker Brothers, God bless ‘em, we’re not allowed to do Cluedo at the moment.

However, I attach the script for your delight!

All the best

Robert

---
Pity about the performance issues. Thank you very much for the script, though! I haven't read much yet, but I've enjoyed what I have read so far. I wonder if you wouldn't mind if I shared this with my friends at The Art of Murder.com, a CLUE(do) mega-site with many avid fans on the forums. I know they'd all enjoy reading it. If you'd rather I didn't share it, though, I'll understand completely, and keep it all for myself.

Thanks again!

---
Sam

Do what you like – just don’t perform it!

R
So, for your READING pleasure, here is the script to Mr. Duncan's CLUEDO: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CPTF4ZLA

Enjoy.

BTW: I also sent a similar email to Ian Liston at The Hiss & Boo Company, the group which controlled the rights to CLUEDO in the 80's. This was his response:
Hi Samuel
Much as Robert Duncan and I would like to allow you to present his play I'm sorry to say it's not possible to do so as the licence to use the name and characters from Cluedo is no longer available from Hasbro, the Grand Rights Holders, pending a planned new movie based on the CLUE board game.
Needless to say we're mightily upset by this and we've begged and pleaded with them to change their minds as there is huge interest in doing the play. Alas to no avail BUT we live in hope that one day we will be able to allow the play to be performed again. We'll keep your contact info on file in case that day occurs!
Best wishes
Ian
Hiss & Boo
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:42 am

Meh. I only read a bit of it, but from what I saw, the script wasn't all that funny and the characters were completely uninteresting. I'd probably attribute that to the fact that he simply ripped off the bland 2003/Clue Mysteries bios rather than come up with intriguing characterizations of his own. Overall, from what I was expecting to be an interesting read turned out to be a bit of a let down.

Good find though alwayspeacock.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:39 am

I have been looking for that script forever! I can't believe how easily you've obtained it. Yay! I look forward to reading it.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:47 am

That is a horrible website. Very un-intuitive to use.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Do a little more research, CluedoKid: he wrote this in the late 1980's. If anything, Hasbro ripped-off his characters.

As for humor, after reading and rereading a few scenes, true, the dialogue isn't always funny, but it's really a timing piece. With skilled comic actors, I could see this being quite good, actually. Actually, I can't, since this play can't legally be performed.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Michael wrote:That is a horrible website. Very un-intuitive to use.
Duncan's website, or Megaupload?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:Do a little more research, CluedoKid: he wrote this in the late 1980's. If anything, Hasbro ripped-off his characters.

As for humor, after reading and rereading a few scenes, true, the dialogue isn't always funny, but it's really a timing piece. With skilled comic actors, I could see this being quite good, actually. Actually, I can't, since this play can't legally be performed.
My apologies. I didn't spot the year, but I assumed the script was quite recent because of the references to Rusty and Mrs. Meadow-Brook.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:42 am

I only read the first few pages and then skimmed through the rest, but it did seem to have an awful lot in common with 2002 Clue and Clue F/X. Perhaps he revised it after those games came out? I thought it was weird that he would've made Green an American, unless he was just basing it on the games; likewise, Tudor Mansion is in Hampshire, which was (as far as I know) first established in the 2000 UK version - but that version doesn't use any other details of this play (well, general things like the characters' professions are common between the two, but nothing as specific as Col. Mustard being in the Hampshire Tigers or being war buddies with Sir Hugh Black).

On the other hand, there are many details which are unique to the play, such as Col. Mustard having a brother or Dr. Black having an eyepatch. So I don't know.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:59 pm

I believe the Hampshire Tigers and war buddies w/Black elements were touched on in the CLUE Mysteries books. And why he would bother revising it, I don't know, since Hasbro won't give permission for any performances.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:15 pm

So what I'm trying to understand is that since he referenced Mrs. Meadow-Brook, Rusty and Lord Grey in his script, that means that those character ideas were conceived in the 80's rather than being uniquely invented for Clue: FX?

I think he should be asked about this.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I believe the Hampshire Tigers and war buddies w/Black elements were touched on in the CLUE Mysteries books. And why he would bother revising it, I don't know, since Hasbro won't give permission for any performances.
But the Clue Mysteries books were written in 2003 and later, so they obviously got their information from the 2002 game. (Despite using imagery from the 1996 game.)

Perhaps the reason the play's not allowed to be performed at the moment is because they don't want a play based on the classic version of the game to interfere with the new version. It's odd, yeah, but companies have done much weirder things. There's a woman who works for American Greetings whose sole job is to search the internet of pictures that infringe on their Strawberry Shortcake copyright.
Last edited by chaostheory1489 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:07 pm

chaostheory1489 is right.

If these ideas were uniquely his and were written in that time period, then Hasbro appears to have lifted quite a bit or payed for his ideas to be used in their games.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 am

I'm liking the idea that they paid to use his creative touches. It might explain why they now control the performance rights. When I'm on my actual computer, I'll shoot him an email about it. Who knows; maybe he did make revisions to stay current with the game, itself.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:18 pm

I found all of this confusing as well, when I saw the references to HUGH Black, Rusty, Prince Azure, Mrs. Meadow-Brook and Lord Gray. I assumed that this is a version that was revised after publication of the mid-2000s games to reflect the continuity there.

I'm curious about something else, though. Some of the playbills I've seen from productions of the play refer to the Inspector and the Sergeant as Inspector Grey and Sgt. Rose. These names don't appear in this version. Where are they coming from?

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm

What? I can't read this, because it's on Megaupload. (Too confusing!) I wish there was some way to do so, though. Especially because I'm intrigued. If somebody could just post the references to the FX characters, I would be terribly grateful.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Megaupload isn't that confusing once you figure it out. All you have to do is find the place around the middle of the screen that says something like "Type XXX here" and then you type it and it downloads the thing.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I downloaded it, but it's like 100 pages. I may have to look at it later...

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:24 am

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:I found all of this confusing as well, when I saw the references to HUGH Black, Rusty, Prince Azure, Mrs. Meadow-Brook and Lord Gray. I assumed that this is a version that was revised after publication of the mid-2000s games to reflect the continuity there.

I'm curious about something else, though. Some of the playbills I've seen from productions of the play refer to the Inspector and the Sergeant as Inspector Grey and Sgt. Rose. These names don't appear in this version. Where are they coming from?
Well, the first production of the play was an amateur group, so they may have simply added names for them however they saw fit. the only thing I can't wrap my brain around is why he would bother to revise/update the play with links to the recent edition if Hasbro wasn't going to allow performances, anyway.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am

I thought that at first, Hasbro was going to let, but then they came up with the Reinvention and I guess they are working on a new movie now, so they don't want anyone remembering any previous Clue games and it's storyline.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:36 am

If that was the case, why would they still make the CLUE Classic PC game?