How did you get to love Clue?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

How did you get to love Clue?

Post by fendue » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:25 am

For this forum, I want you to say how you first fell in love with Clue. Was it the thrill of playing Clue Jr. for the first time? Or did it gradually come? I'm just very curious as to how you have come to love Clue.

As for me, I loved to play Clue Jr. I wanted the real game, so I got it. The first time was really boring, but then I realized how fun it was.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:34 am

One time I went to my grandmother's, and so we had nothing to do when we got there (our other relatives weren't due for a good hour or so.) So from the top shelf, she brought down this board game, named Cluedo.

I paired up with my Mum so I could get to know how the game worked. We were Peacock, Dad was Mustard, and Nanny was Scarlett. I really enjoyed moving the pawn of the old Mrs. P round the board, loving imagining the 59-year-old marching through these rooms and calling people into them.

Me and Mum solved the case, and it was Mrs. White with the Candlestick in the Library.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:40 am

I got "Clue" for Christmas, and fell in love.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 pm

I got 1996 Clue as a present when I was younger. I was too little to understand how to play, though. But when I got older, I dug it out of my closet, read the instructions, and have loved it since.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:53 pm

one year (quite a long time ago) during our family Christmas party, the whole family recieved a "family game night" four-pack of board games. of course, one of them was Clue, which I became facinated with right away (even though I was only 6 or 7- maybe younger)

I can still remember when I tried to coordinate the first game we played :lol:

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm

I was watching television one day, when I saw the tv advert/commercial for the 2002 game. I thought it looked pretty cool, so my brother and I begged our parents for it, and they bought it us.

Once we got it, we had absolutely no idea how to play. Like, at all. We thought that someone was supposed to give us clues by moving weapons into certain rooms, and showing us like little niblets of evidence or something.

I got two of my ex-"friends" to play, and we still had no idea. I threw an absolute hissy-fit when I thought that one of the weapon pieces was missing. I'm still totally embarrassed about that. :oops:

Anyway, moving on a few years, my brother and I were looking to play a fun board game, and we were sick and tired of Chess and Monopoly. So, I remembered the Cluedo under my bed. I looked online how to play and we learnt the rules really quickly and easily.

We used to play quite a lot, and then my brother began to get bored with it, whereas I got more and more interested in it. The next thing I knew, I was looking up other editions and learning of Mrs. Meadow-Brook, Miss Peach etc!

Loved Clue ever since.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:25 pm

One time, a long time ago, when I was like 7 years old, me, my brother, and my cousin were flipping through channels looking for something to watch. I'm not sure how but we came across "Clue the movie" on Comedy Central. We all loved it, even though we didn't get much of the jokes. Then, about a week later, we went to Blockbuster and were looking for a movie to get from the Comedy section, and who do I see on a cover of a movie but Mrs. Peacock (She was my favorite from when I saw it on TV. We didn't know what the movie was called, but Mrs. Peacock's distinctive dress led us to discover "Clue the movie"). We rented it again and watched it like 4 times that day. Well, Christmas was coming up and my mom went to look for a present for my cousin. She saw "Clue" the game and thought that since he loved "Clue the movie" so much, he'd like the game. Well, my mom gave him the game for Christmas and we played it together, and I loved it. I went and got my own (We both had the 1997 edition) I played that for about a year until next Christmas, when I went to the games section of Target and saw how many Clue games there were. The 2002 edition, the Nostalgic wooden box game, Clue FX, and Simpsons Clue. Well, I got all those games for Christmas from different relatives and needless to say, I've been loving and collecting Clue ever since.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:06 am

For me, I caught the movie on television in September. I'd wanted to play the game for a few weeks, having seen the box (80's,) and thought it was beautiful. I know, I know, what was wrong with me? But I was nine, for Heaven's sake! Anyway, so I watched the movie and enjoyed it, even though I didn't know everything. Surprising as to what I knew, and it was really helpful to me later on in high school when we were studying McCarthyism. Mom explained some of the film, and told me she'd let me know the rest when I was older. We were Christians fundamentalists, you see. So having seen the movie a few times, and liking it, I asked for the game. My birthday is October first, and I'm sure you can guess what happened next. Well, on my birthday, I was given my present, and there it was, the 1980's version of Clue. I really liked it, a lot. It was breathtaking, at least it was to me. The colors, the rooms, the styles, even the suspects. So I studied the rules, and tried to play. I played Plum and my brother was Mustard. Mom played Peacock, and spoke French when she played her. Mom used to be an artist and learned French in college, but she lost those talents long ago. Imagine that, a Peacock who could speak elegant French. It made the first game seem so much . . . classier. Having no orange suspect bothered me when Mrs. White was around, but I still loved the game and often played it by myself. Then, next Christmas, we went to the mall and were told we could each pick one gift each. The rest were to be surprises. Fair enough. Wandering into a toy store, I saw my gift right away - Clue Master Detective. No commerical, no knowledge, no nothing. There it was, at KayBee. So that's what I wanted. For Christmas, in 1998, when I was nine, that was what I got. And that was my favorite present. Still is, actually. Complete with an orange suspect, Miss Peach, and the three other colors that I had guessed would be needed to make Clue complete. I've been in love with Clue ever since, especially with MD. I used to play MD all the time, usually alone, developing complex plots and storylines, which eventually required a physician. Peacock seemed obvious, so I went with it, and that was that. It was a life-changing movie, wouldn't you agree? Of course, nowadays I fancy myself more like Madame Rose.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 pm

I was at ant after-school daycare place and found the Jr. edition shoved onto the game shelf. I poked around in the box, got bored, and dug around the shelf a little bit longer, unearthing the 1996 edition. I read the rules insert, played with the pieces, but could find nobody to play with. I told my mom about it on the way home, and the next day, after getting a good grade on some school thing, my dad took me to WalMart and let me get the game. We played it that night, and I still remember the solution: Col. Mustard, in the Lounge, with the Revolver. It didn't take long for the game to become my favorite, and before I knew it, I was HERE.

The one thing I'll always kick myself for: the Toys-r-Us near my home was being remodeled, and many items were being discounted to make room for new stuff. I remember going down the puzzle section and finding ALL OF THE CLUE PUZZLES! Didn't buy a single one...
"But look what happened to the cook!"

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:39 pm

It all started on a dark, stormy night when I received an invitation in the mail from a certain Mr. Boddy....

...nah, my sister got the 1996 edition for Christmas and I was immediately intrigued by the suspicious looking cast on the cover. It wasn't as though we really knew how to play, but Rebecca and I loved it. She'd always be Miss Scarlet (or Mrs. Peacock if her best friend was over) and I'd always be the Colonel.

Eventually, my obsession with the game drove her to be tired of it because next thing you know, we saw the movie and I be talking about the game..ALL THE TIME. I feel bad about that actually.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:24 pm

My grandparent's owned the 1956 version 2 edition and I wanted to play it bad. Everyone claimed I was too young (but when I did play it for the first time, my younger brother got to play as well). I did RPG with the game and the characters had a special play in my heart then. I begged my mom to watch the movie before the right of passage as well. Clue Jr was a joke to me the entire time but I didn't pass it up.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:52 pm

I got Clue JR when I was 6... loved it...

Went to my friend's house and I saw the 'Clue' logo and immediate thought of my version of Clue JR. I was surprised when a Revolver was placed in the Lounge, a pipe in the Library, ETC. (86 edition btw, I played Plum) It was Colonel Mustard with the Wrench in the Hall (my friend won)

I had so much fun, that Christmas Eve (I had turned 7 on the 14th) my brother bought the 97 edition of Clue and I stared at it for hours and hours, just amazed (the same night I received Monopoly.. which was still in it's factory seal for the next three days LOL). The next day (Christmas) we played my first family game of Clue. (I was Green) My mom solved Mrs. White with the Candlestick in the Dining Room....

My first Clue(do) Game---

Clue JR

My newest Clue(do) Game---

Super Cluedo

CommunismJustARedHerring
Suspect

Post by CommunismJustARedHerring » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:34 pm

I played the SNES game as a kid (I grew up in the late 1980s/early 1990s). I also recall reading the Clue Jr. books when I was a little girl.

ColJaime
Snoop

Post by ColJaime » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:59 pm

My story is very similar to most of the other collectors in my age range. It was probably around 1986 or '87, and I was around 5-6 years old when the movie was first being shown on HBO. I remember back then it always seemed like a big deal when a movie was shown on HBO for the first time, and my entire family would gather round to watch (and record) it. I fell in love with the movie (and like so many others, realized years later that I hardly understood any of the humor at that age) and my parents told my brothers and I that there was a board game and so of course we had to have it. We went out and bought the 1986 edition, and I remember that I was puzzled as to why the suspects didn't look like they did in the film (and where were Wadsworth & Yvette?) I clearly didn't grasp the fact that the game came first.

It wasn't long at all, however, that I became aware of the game's history and the fact that there were older editions with very different artwork. My school's library had a collection of "Rainy Day" board games that included the 1963 game, my aunt had the 1972 in her basement and my babysitter had the 1956. Even then, I was fascinated that this game had undergone so many changes over the years. The same aunt with the 1972 game also had the VCR game, which became yet another obsession. Christmas of '88, my big gift was Master Detective, and by this time I was already collecting whatever I could get my hands on, and I was only 7 (precocious, yes.)

Fast forward to the late 90's when I first began exploring the newish-fangled thing called "The Internet." I was very surprised to find very little indeed about Clue(do.) Back then there was really only the site Murder and Magic (run by my now very good friend Paul Howls.) That site would go on to become Cluedofan.com, but back then it was much smaller and (as the name suggests) half devoted to the card game, Magic: The Gathering. There were perhaps one or two other "pages" out there, but nothing that was a comprehensive look at the various American editions of Clue. It was that lack of information that led me to launch my (now defunct) site, The World of Clue, in September of 1999.

One thing that really astonished me back then in the early days of my site were just how many other collectors I ended up getting in contact with. There was a time in my life where I kind of thought that surely nobody else was as interested in all of this as I was, so I was amazed to find so many others (and amazed to find out just how similar we all were in many other respects.) I can truly say that some of my very best friends are people I met because of this game.

Even though some of us online Clue "pioneers" are no longer all that active, I'm really glad Michael began this site and that the community has really blossomed because of it.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 pm

I played CluedoKid's 'Good Detective Game of Clue'. And it got me interested enough to look at other games of its type!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm

Good Detective Game of Clue? Do you have a link?

I got interested when I was in my forth year of infent school. I had about a month off school because of an operation and as a gift, my mother brought me my second cluedo board game. (the simpsons version) I gotten interested in cluedo a lot earliar then that but I can't really remember that far back.

tyob123
Gumshoe

Post by tyob123 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Back in 2000 ( i was like 5 or 6 ) My Grandma was babysitting me at her house. She asked if I wanted to play a game.( turns out my grandma is Jigsaw jk ) anyway she got out the 60s clue game. I played as mrs.Peacock and i loved it. I would give each person a little voice when i would do a suggestion. ( still do. thats why people hate playing it with me. ) Well it turns out it was Mrs.Peacock so I thought i lost because i would have to go to jail. I understood it pretty Quick and have been building my collection ever since
Flames on the side of my face!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Black wrote:Good Detective Game of Clue? Do you have a link?
http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 am

:o
Nice.
Also, I didn't know you name was Frank, WarnerPlum.

Snively
Snoop

Post by Snively » Mon May 10, 2010 3:13 am

I liked clue when I was really really little. Like 7 but of course, we never played right. We didn't know how, we just pretend the cones were people.

Then one summer, near my birthday, me and SpiralClue, ahd nothing better to do, and we bought a bunch of board games with my mom. Then a friend from Texas came over. We had a lot of fun!!!
I hate everyone;
Admired in hypocrisy
Yeah I'm still down with JC
I guess that everyone includes me
And that's why I'm a humanist
-Hate Everyone, Say Anything