Mrs. What Peacock

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

What name best suits Mrs. Peacock

Elizabeth
82%
Patricia
No votes
Polly
No votes
Penelope
No votes
Henrietta
9%
Helen or Helene
9%

Total votes: 11

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Mrs. What Peacock

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:44 pm

What name best suits Mrs. Peacock?

And after answering this question please go under Miccelanous to see my other poll!

Thank You

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:45 pm

I could not decide which one.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:20 am

I voted Elizabeth because that it used most often, I believe. But I LOVE Henrietta Peacock. It's so tongue in cheek.

-Michael
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:12 pm

I like Elizabeth so i voted for that. I hate Polly, Penelope and Patricia. Second goes for Helen and Third Henrietta. I am not quite sure what you meant by tounge in cheek though. :?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:25 pm

I now decide against Elizabeth. It reminds me too much of the Queen who is too respectful to be a murderer. I now prefer Henrietta. How elegant!

Jay Beeskow
"Apparently, I'm most like Wadsworth."

Post by Jay Beeskow » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Helen.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Name

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 pm

Poopond --

Why didn't you include an "Other" option?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:06 pm

I dislike Helen, sounds too nicey nice middle aged woman who is probably a Sunday School teacher with short hair.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Re: Name

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:Poopond --

Why didn't you include an "Other" option?
I never really thought about it when I made this I guess, why did you have any other ideas?
All you need is love!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Depends

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:20 pm

It depends on the Peacock, you know? Other good Peacock names:

Gladys
Ida
Renata
Owena
Evelyn
Nora
Lydia
Doris
Edith
Roberta

I kind of like Edith, myself. It has such a broad gamut of possible Peacocks, without losing the aged aspect. Roberta is good for a heartier, or else plumper Peacock, such as the Peacock in the movie. Elizabeth fits most of the Peacocks we've seen -- Patricia, though, is terrible. Patricia, to me, has religious overtones, and in any case, two plosives right in a row "Puh-tricia Puh-eacock" grates on the ear and sounds awfully plebeian.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:41 pm

Patricia IS bad!

Gladys-Hmmmm I can't really envision this name for any of the Peacocks.
Ida-While a good name, too simple. It's more appropriate for White.
Renata-Hmmm sounds a little foreign, any particular Peacock you were thinking of?
Owena- See Renata.
Evelyn-No, this is a Miss Scarlet name. I won't work for Peacock.
Nora- 1996 Peacock only.
Lydia- Hmm I could see this working for the 1992 and 1996 Peacock.
Doris -Another name that would work only for Mrs. White.
Edith-Okay name I guess.
Roberta-Terrific name! It fits the MD Peacock!

I personally love Mrs. Rebecca Peacock. It sounds so intellegent.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Peacocks

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:14 am

Cluedokid,

Thanks for agreeing on Patricia!

As for these ...

Gladys-Hmmmm I can't really envision this name for any of the Peacocks.
I'd say the 1972 Peacock, at least, could be a Gladys. Something ancient and horsey. True, Gladys is a little feminine for the part, but sometimes a name slightly against type is highly effective.

Ida-While a good name, too simple. It's more appropriate for White.
I *like* its simplicity. To me, the simplicity could be ironic. The Franklin Mint version Peacock would be an especially good match with "Ida."

Renata-Hmmm sounds a little foreign, any particular Peacock you were thinking of?
*shrugs* Most of the Peacocks would work with this one. It sounds like a rich harbor -- it sounds like "regatta," so it evokes yachts. It is a little foreign, sure, maybe a Spanish influence. It suggests a touch of whimsy, a touch of the ultra-romantic on the part of her parents, which accords well with a somewhat more ... flittery Peacock, one who might "flit" here and there.

Owena- See Renata.
It's a Welsh name, meaning "noble," and I think it works with '72 Peacock, particularly, but any stoney-faced Peacock at all, really.

Evelyn-No, this is a Miss Scarlet name. I won't work for Peacock.
I disagree completely. Firstly, the name is sort of bland for Miss Scarlet. Actually, it's a kind of bland name for anyone, but if one is going for the low-hanging (and slightly bruised) fruit, Evelyn is fine, but not especially good, now I come to think on it some more.

Nora- 1996 Peacock only.
Nah. Not only. However, a little more fleshing out than just a photograph would probably be required to make this one work well. If the subject were portrayed as an energetic Florence-Nightengale type, with some gossipy tendencies, or anything in that range, then Nora would be a good name.

Doris -Another name that would work only for Mrs. White.
Heh. Gosh, this was a long list. I don't think all the names I gave are great, and Doris ... meh, could probably take or leave, but once again, not a name that works *only* for White. Pinched expression, sharp-tongued, efficient, tight-lipped sort who genuinely doesn't approve of gossip or drink, and is a bit suspicious about religion ... women in *that* range, like '72 Peacock could be Dorises.

Rebecca isn't at all bad -- but sounds like an especially brainy Peacock, a professor, or an activist, or maybe just a really efficient lessor, a ruthless landlady of a broad range of commercial and residential properties. I can envision her, in a few different lights.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:21 am

Well I completely forgot about the 72 Peacock. Yes, a lot of those old lady names work for her.

As for Evelyn, it's not bland when you spell it as Evelynne.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Re: Peacocks

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:
Renata

*shrugs* Most of the Peacocks would work with this one. It sounds like a rich harbor -- it sounds like "regatta," so it evokes yachts. It is a little foreign, sure, maybe a Spanish influence. It suggests a touch of whimsy, a touch of the ultra-romantic on the part of her parents, which accords well with a somewhat more ... flittery Peacock, one who might "flit" here and there.
Actually... Renata is a name... but it's Polish
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

WhitePawn

Post by Lord Caspen » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:32 am

White Pawn,

Yes, I know Renata is a name, that's why I included it 8)

Polish, eh? Huh. Well, still -- a touch of the exotic, n'est-ce pas?