Clue: Will You Survive?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Clue: Will You Survive?

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm

I've see alot of people are making thier own Clue game, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and try myself. I haven't put too much thought into it, only what I came up with in math class today, but I want it to be a bigger, better version of the reinvention.

Some Ideas I had were:
-Multiple murders
-All inside, but a 3-story mansion
-18 suspects, 18 weapons, and 18 rooms (I need alot, I'll explain why later)
-Doors that can be locked and unlocked
-A deck similar to the "Intrige" deck from the reinvention.

More to come...in a few minutes.
Last edited by Poirotfrmda818 on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Ok, this is the list of stiff I thought of:

SUSPECTS:
Miss Scarlet
Miss Vivienne Scarlet spends most of her time scheming for a new husband, a rich husband. For years now, she has been seducing some of the wealthiest bachelors in England, and causing the scandals of the century. Now Mr. Boddy has his eyes set on her, too bad Scarlet has her heart set on the wealthy, and royal, Prince Azure. Not used to rejection, Boddy is trying to get back at the two, bringing to light some of his best freind's darkest secrets.
Col. Mustard
Col. Algernon Mustard retired from the army years ago and began to write his memoirs, convinced that it would be a good read. His financial backer was Mr. Boddy, and things were going smoothy for about six months, until Boddy discovered a dark secret about Col. Mustard's military tactics, and that every word he had written was a lie. Now facing exposure as a coward, not a military hero, Mustard will do anything to save his reputation.
Mrs. White
Mrs. Eleanor White has seen three generations of the Boddy family during her time of service, which started when she was at the age of seventeen. Now 63, White was told she didn't have to worry about the future anymore, that is, until Boddy discovered the truth. On her deathbed, Boddy's mother told him that he was the illegitimate child of his father and Mrs. White. Outraged that his life had been a lie, he kicked Mrs. White out of the Grange, but she returned two weeks later, on the day of the murder, to try to explain things to her son. One hour later she was seen rushing out of Boddy's study, crying.
Mr. Green
Mr. Leonard Green was always something of a rotten apple, ever since an early age. He and his best friend, Alphonse Brunette, were always lying and cheating to get what they wanted. And when Green took over the family business, an art dealership, he got Brunette, a talented artist, to copy paintings and sell them as the originals. For years things went great until Mr. Green got a call from a certain Mr. Boddy wanting to talk over a deal. A week later, Green had sold Boddy a Picasso that he told him was the original. Boddy, being the fool that he is, suspected nothing until his neighbor, Dr. Black, invited him to dinner, and hanging over the table in Black’s dining room he saw the very same painting that he had bought from Mr. Green. When he asked Black where he got the painting, he handed him Mr. Green’s business card. Outraged that he had been duped, Boddy confronted Green about the paintings and threatened to expose both him and his partner, M. Brunette, as frauds.
Mrs. Peacock
Mrs. Victoria Peacock originally came from what is called “old money�, but with the mysterious death of her husband, Jack Peacock, she came into lots more “new money�. Widowed at the age of 28, Peacock spent almost twenty years on the French Riviera, until her late husband’s fortune suddenly disappeared, at the hands of a vicious blackmailer, Mr. Boddy. He had discovered under what circumstances her husband had died and threatened to reveal all to the tabloids, unless she paid up. Her lavish lifestyle at risk, Peacock returned to England to plead with Boddy to let her free, but he was ruthless. Distraught and vulnerable, Peacock began to become very close to a neighbor of Boddy’s, Dr. Black. Her chances at love and fortune were looking high until Boddy discovered about their affair and threatened to tell Black all if Peacock didn’t do what he asked her to do. Desperate, it looked as though Peacock had no where left to turn.
Prof. Plum
Miss Peach
M. Brunette
Mme. Rose
Sgt. Grey
Lady Emerald
Dr. Black
Dr. Alexander Black has always been a "lady's man". In his medical practices, he always took his time with his lady patients. Sometimes, he even gave a few some "private consultations". With that kind of lifestyle, everyone was shocked by his marriage. After twelve years, they were divorced and Black returned to his previous lifestyle, but he made a horrible mistake. His neighbor, Mr. Boddy, had told him of a woman he knew that was impregnated with the child of his good friend, and she wanted an abortion. And an abortion was what Dr. Black gave her. All this was long dead and buried, until Mrs. Peacock turned up in Dr. Black's life, and Boddy was afraid if they became too close, Black would find out that he was blackmailing Mrs. Peacock. So Boddy told him to keep away from Mrs. Peacock, if he didn't want the authorities to find out about his illegal operation all those years ago.
Mrs. Mint
Mrs. Susanne Mint, formerly Susanne Black, was a very charming, very respectable woman. She loved her first husband, Dr. Black, with all her heart. Though no one knew it, she was aware of all the affairs had behind her back, but she didn't care, she loved him too much. One night, Dr. Black went to have drinks with his good neighbor, Mr. Boddy. They both became really drunk and Black started complaining about married life, and Boddy told him that if it was that much of a pain, he should divorce his wife. Two hours later, he filed for divorce, and within a week, they were divorced. Mrs. Black fell into depression, and in that state she married Lawrence Mint, but all she could think about was Dr. Black. Her second husband divorced her after two years, because he was fed up with her depression. Now alone and miserable, Mrs. Mint could find only one person to blame for her unhappiness, Mr. Boddy, who first gave Dr. Black the idea for a divorce.
Mr. Ash
Senator Gold
Prince Azure
Prince Phillipe Azure of Angola has been one of Mr. Boddy’s closest friends since their time at school together. During the revolution which threatened the royal family, Azure was sent to boarding school abroad in England, to Meadow-Brook School. At this prestigious school, he met Boddy and in a short while, the two became close friends, and great confidences. They told each other everything that happened in their life, including the fact that Azure had impregnated a woman his last year at the school and had abandoned her. This dark secret, which would have brought great shame upon the royal family, was kept buried deep between the two, and it seemed that it would never come to light, until Azure’s engagement to Miss Scarlet. Boddy, being a selfish man, wanted the lovely Scarlet all to himself, and threatened to expose Azure’s secret if he didn’t break off the engagement with Miss Scarlet. Now Azure came to England for the weekend, and is spending a day, alone, at his friend’s house to try and “settle things�.
Miss Mauve
Mr. Sands

WEAPONS:
Candlestick
Carving Knife
Revolver
Rope
Lead Pipe
Wrench
Poison
Axe
Statuette
Hypodermic Needle
Croquet Mallet
Dagger
Scarf
Fireplace Poker
Horseshoe
Dumbbell
Trophy
Bat

ROOMS:
Ground Floor:
Hall
Lounge
Dining Room
Kitchen
Ballroom
Conservatory
Billiard Room
Library
Study
Upstarirs:
Guest Bathroom
Master Bedroom
Master Bathroom
Sitting Room
Guest Room
Balcony
Downstairs:
Cellar
Basement
Servant's Quarters
Last edited by Poirotfrmda818 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 62 times in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Wow! 18 characters!!

Also for the three stories (I've planning something similar and might show what I've come up with) you should use three different boards with a marker in the center, showing that *this* is how you hop from board to board...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:10 pm

A little too much in my opinion. Sure I felt I was pushing it at 16 in each category, but just reading that makes my eyes hurt.

Can't say I'm too fond of having two Black characters (no pun intended). I think having two of the same colour really takes something away from the game. I mean...

"So Black is innocent..."

Wait!? Which Black?"

"Oh I forgot, I only recorded their last name"

"Hey! I'm Mrs. Black! Don't touch my pawn!"

"Sorry, but sheesh can you blame me? They look exactly the same."

"Yeah, I have both of their cards and got them mixed up because their background looked the same."

"Wait, you have BOTH of their cards?"

"I think so.."

"Idiot."

I don't know, it's just how I see it, but there is really too much happening here.

Now on an positive note, I do like some of the mechanics. I've actually am using most of them in my version myself (i.e. locked doors, multiple murder...)
Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 pm

I see your point, but the reason I streched it this much was because after every murder, I wanted to re-distribute the cards (at least some of them) because of how the victim will be chosen (Someone had an idea like this a while back on this site, and I really liked the concept) and I thought if there weren't alot of cards, the game would end too fast, because everyone would see most of the cards, because it was distributed to them.

I came up with basic gameplay rules in math class (God my teacher is boring). I'll post them soon.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm

Poirotfrmda818 wrote: (Someone had an idea like this a while back on this site, and I really liked the concept)
:wink:

(Though, after a lot of reconsideration, I realized the idea was going to fail. Maybe you can pull it off though...)
Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:21 pm

Your game was a great insparation for this, and I always wondered why everyone in Clue is either single, or thier spouse is away, that's why there is a Dr. Black and a Mrs. Black, and I chose Dr. Black because Dr. and Mrs. don't sound or look so alike as Mr. and Mrs.
Last edited by Poirotfrmda818 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:22 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
Poirotfrmda818 wrote: (Someone had an idea like this a while back on this site, and I really liked the concept)
I thought you HATED that smiley :D

And it was you? I can't remember, but hats off to you, you created a huge part of this game :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:25 pm

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:Your game was a great insaration for this, and I always wondered why everyone in Clue is either single, or thier spouse is away, that's why there is a Dr. Black and a Mrs. Black, and I chose Dr. Black because Dr. and Mrs. don't sound or look so alike as Mr. and Mrs.
Understandable, but my point is, while that is fine for fan-fiction, for game play sake, I think the idea suffers.

I mean, here if were going to have a cast of 18, each with a colourful name, throw in an exact number of weapons and rooms proportioned in number to suspects, then comes the aspect that each one is going to have equal zest to solve the mystery, kill each other and throw themselves in this mess of confusion and terror....and yet.....one of them is bringing their hubby along for the ride because it feels more realistic?

Pu-leeze.
Last edited by CluedoKid on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:
I thought you HATED that smiley :D

I do...intensely. I use it in rare, deserving circumstances....and God forbid if anybody dares to use it back.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 pm

Why not make Mrs. Black a non playing character (like Hogarth, the Black dog, and Inspector Grey were in Super Sleuth)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 pm

And if you are in need of a replacement for her, you are welcome to any of my characters. It can help make them more "canon", if you know what I mean.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:42 pm

These are the basic rules so far

The cards are shuffled, placed in the envelope, and distributed like normal.

You go around playing Clue like normal (or more like the reinvention) because there are special spaces that when moved over, or roll the symbol, you draw an "Investigation" card. Which do three things:
- Help card -Give you advantages like the reinvention cards
- Lock card -Tell you to draw a card from the "Lock" deck
- Murder card - Basically the clock card from the reinvention

The lock deck has had a picture and location of a door from the game, if the door is locked, you unlock it (by removing a lock symbol), if it is unlocked, you lock it (By placing a lock symbol on that specific door)

If you draw 4 Murder cards, a murder taked place.
In a murder, everyone separates their deck into three piles, suspects, weapons, and rooms. Then all the suspect cards, weapon cards, and room cards are shuffled separatley and a card is drawn face up from each pile. That suspect has been murdered in that room with that weapon. All three of these cards can now be crossed off, and that suspect and weapon are placed in that room, and all the doors in the room are locked. Everyone else in that room is sent back to start and any weapons in that room are placed elsewhere.
Then all the cards are re-shuffled and re-distributed, excluding the three cards from the murder that occured. Gameplay continues like normal.

When you have solved the mystery, you must go to the "Stairway" (center room that connects the different stories) and make your accusation. (I added this because if after the cards are re-delt, 2 people might have solved the mystery, its not fair that whoevers tur comes next gest to win, there is a race to the stairway.

That's all I have so far.
Last edited by Poirotfrmda818 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:44 pm

If it's THAT contraverisial, I'll change Mrs. Black to something else. Probably Mrs. Silver

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:53 pm

I love that idea for the multiple murder!!! Genius!! :D

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Also, eariler today when I was toying with the idea, I found a bunch of silhoetes (How is that spelled) from the clipart in this crappy program I have that I thought were good. I always liked the idea of silhoettes for the cards, and these seemed perfect

Though I have to change Mrs. Black

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 pm

Wonderful! Those are excellent silhouettes.

Aside from my Mrs. Black complaint, the only one who sort of sucks is Lady Emerald. Her colour is off for one thing (actually that shade is more of a mint or seafoam) and she stands apart from the group since her jacket is not shaded like the rest.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm not too fond of Lady Emerald either, but I couln't find another decent silhoette for an old woman (She is Mr. Boddy's oldest living aunt) I could change the color, or rename her. Maybe Lady Mint? Or Lady Meadow-Brook? (Who was basically who she was based off)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Yes, Mint or Meadow-Brook could do nicely.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:19 pm

This is my basic Idea for a card (Thought I don't really like either, I'll explain why), Ignore the blurriness, please

The one on the left was my first try, but there was just TOO much red in it, I felt that Scarlet blended in with the backround, so I made her black, which I think was a step up but the card just looks TOO plain to me, so I had another idea that I think makes more sense with my idea for the weapon cards. I'm starting on a weapon or two now.