New Modern Clue Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:03 am

An absolutely ridiculous idea. Most of the charm of Cluedo, like television programmes such as "Poirot", derives from its old-fashioned setting, familiar characters and, if you like, "escapism". We read and hear far too much about modern celebrities as it is, without having their alter egos popping up in a favourite family game. Hoodie in the Shopping Centre with a Knife, anyone?

I agree with this customer.

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 am

Yeah, I think the whole Plum a video game designer and football player Musterd would apeal to children more than a Colonel and smart, boring professor.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:06 am

Alas, I have a strong feeling in my body that this game is sure to be a stinker.

Hasbro is setting out to appeal to a target audience who watches American reality T-V, right?

Won't those people be too busy actually watching reality T-V or reading OK Magazine, rather than to be bothered by bored games?

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 am

I totaly agree with whoever you got that quote from, CluedoKid

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 am

Was I wrong to get so excited?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:29 am

Your choice Kristev. If you like it, more power to you.

I just don't think they can be our lovable bunch no matter how you look at it. They did alright for 5 of them...if not for bio, at least for appearance.

Mrs. White is an unforgivable mistake. Her bio makes her out to be some has-been rendition of Scarlet, and in terms of looks, I think she got hit by a train.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:05 am

I know she did. That's precisely the point. White is, quite literally, a train wreck. She's meant to recall Effie White of Dreamgirls.

cluedude1
Spy

Post by cluedude1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 am

As long as new Clue products are being made I dont see why you people complain all the time? Would you rather them not make any new Clue products ever again????

I understand that some things may not be as good as we imagined or hoped for-- but atleast new projects are coming out!
You are invited to a murder...

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:16 am

One suspect I do love is Scarlet in this edition. Maybe not all of her pictures, but the one on the cover is stunning. She is just so attractive.

The others...meh. I kind of like Mrs. Peacock, but I'm not wild about her. Mustard looks good but I hate his bio. Green looks good but I don't find his bio very interesting either. Hate Plum and White's looks and bios.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 am

cluedude1 wrote:As long as new Clue products are being made I dont see why you people complain all the time? Would you rather them not make any new Clue products ever again????

I understand that some things may not be as good as we imagined or hoped for-- but atleast new projects are coming out!

Oh how ungrateful of me....

Thank you Hasbro for sabotaging Clue!

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 pm

They didn't really sabotage it. It's still quite close. I played it today, and I really like it. It's still not true Clue, of course, but it's nice enough. Not as bad as I feared it would be.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Maybe I'm greedy but they should stop trying to make products that fail. It's like certain TV shows, they once were a great thing and some are still being made. To appeal to other audiences changes have been made. The problem is the things they fix are the things that people enjoyed and ignore things that should be improved upon (like characters no one cares about). In the process the original audience is alienated.

I likely won't buy the new one and most of the spin offs. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but I like the community here and the knowledge opposed to buying every new game. New Clue games just suggest to me they are not doing so well with changes and hoping something takes hold. Or they are an excuse to drop the Clue line in the future. I would much rather wait 10 years for a new Clue game (but well done) than 2 months for something I will just put in the back of my closet if I actually buy it. I'm glad people here do like the new one but tournaments with the game are more based on luck than reasoning. I like the 1920s or 1940s feel of the game. I only like one game created in the past 10 years. Why no one thought of Apples to Apples sooner is beyond me.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am

I'm starting to feel left out.

macphile
Suspect

Post by macphile » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:07 am

Well, I don't know what to think yet...I was turned off initially, but maybe it's not so bad? I mean, I can't very well get excited about a Harry Potter version and then get turned off by a pool party version, even if it's got a creepy teenybopper vibe.

To me, the Clue characters are who they've more or less always been. I started writing a fan fic of Clue the other day, and they all turned out just as I always perceive them (I didn't plan the story out beforehand). To me, that's just who they truly are. I don't think they need to be modernized to be accepted (or if they do, that's just a sad commentary on modern society) because they were old-fashioned for me the first time I played it.

But if this is going to just be a sort of novelty thing...eh. Maybe it doesn't matter too much, is all.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:40 am

Kristev wrote:I'm starting to feel left out.

Why's that? The new game just does fit my style but might fit with other's playing style.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 pm

I came very close to buying the game today in Wal-Mart, but I somehow resisted the temptation. 8)
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 am

This question might have been answered earlier, but I really don't have the time to browse through the previous pages before school. Are the pawns in this game the traditional pawns or 3D figures like recently? (I'm seriously considering buying the game.)
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 am

Worse. They are little clear plastic panels with a coloured question mark imprinted on it, held up on a pedistal.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:02 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:before school
Don't you mean sc*ool? :evil:

Professeur_Violet
Gumshoe

Post by Professeur_Violet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 am

Poirotfrmda818 wrote:Yeah, I think the whole Plum a video game designer and football player Musterd would apeal to children more than a Colonel and smart, boring professor.
Notice that in France Plum stays Professeur Violet, he is a former informatic professeor who decided to quit and create video games.

Scarlet is still Mademoiselle Rose
Mustard is Monsieur Moutarde
Green is Monsieur Olive
White is still Madame Leblanc
Peacock is still Madame Pervenche

To my mind, the developpers wanted to make a new generation and maybe these new suspects are of the same family of the old ones. They try to create a descent (i don't know if it's the proper word, in french i mean descendance)
Jack Mustard related with Mike Mustard etc...
That's why they change their first name, and their jobs.

The weapons in french

Knife: Poignard
Candelstick: Chandelier
Rope: Corde
Pistol: Revolver
Poison: Poison
Bat: Batte
Axe: Hache
Dumbell: Haltère
Trophy: Trophée

The room (clockwise starting with the hall)

Hall: Hall
Guest room: Chambre d'amis
Dining room: Salle à manger
Kitchen: Cuisine
Patio: Patio
Spa: Spa
Theatre: Salle de projection
Living-room: Salon
Observatory: Observatoire