My Patent Cluedo

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:10 pm

I printed of my cards and board and laminated them both.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:31 pm

Yeah I did make the cards and the box cover for a game based on the Movie, but I never got around to making the board, although I did a blueprint of the house I planned to use to make the board. I will see if I can dig that thread up and bump it. And if anyone wants to use what I did to take a crack at a Movie version of the game, feel free.

-David

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm

I remember that briefly, wasn't it a project someone was making?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Some observations

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Great idea of yours! Was just thinking I might take this on myself when I came across your thread.

Having recently read this article about Anthony Pratt, and reading this original patent document, I have a few observations about your version:

1) Pratt evidently called his game "Murder!" Therefore, a more apt name for your game might be "Cluedo: Murder!", or "Murder! The Patent Cluedo Game", etc. Perhaps this is where the subtitle "or Murder at Tudor Close", originated in the Waddingtons game. In other words, create rules for making the patent version work, as if you did not know the established rules for Cluedo.

2) You have all 10 characters represented on the board, however, Pratt only represented 8 starting spaces and allowed for only 8 players in his instructions. Clearly, the 9th character was intended only to ever be a suspect. The starting space assignments seem to be a Waddingtons development, along with Scarlett always rolls first. The authentic patent game would most likely not have designated the starting spaces. In the absence of specific rules, I would have the players roll the dice like in Monopoly to determine not only who goes first, but allow them to chose their starting space, since there is an obvious advantage to choosing some spaces over others, being closer to rooms.

3) Not sure if you also made a distinction between the tall tokens for male players and short tokens female players. It's a little detail, but a fun one.

4) There were in fact 11 playable rooms listed in the patent. The Cellar was as much a room as the Gun Room, or any other, having been converted into the card space by Waddintons. The cards on the patent game were to go under the board. However, the patent also only describes 9 room cards. Therefore, if you are going to include the Gun Room (which is half the fun), I would also include the Cellar as a room.

5) I did not get that any cards were to be dealt directly to the players, but rather, dealt evenly among the rooms. Again this would provide an incentive to a high rolling player to start his piece closest to a room which may have received more cards than another. Landing in a room first rewarded a player with all of the cards it contained.

6) Since no number of suggestion counter-tokens were specified, I suppose 12 is a reasonable number. Since you've played the game, how did that work out? Did you find that any player ran out of tokens before the game was finished? If not, I would suggest a smaller number, since that too was half the fun. Also, I don't believe that it was specified that all of the cards in the rooms were to be retrieved prior to guessing with the tokens. The tokens should be meted out at the start of the game (unless I am wrong about that). One consideration, the number of tokens should probably be weighted proportionately to the number of players. Fewer players, fewer tokens, as the game would be easier and vice-versa.

7) I did not see where this was specified in your rules, but the patent specifies that one must actually LAND on another token in order to transport that token into a room with a weapon. Therein lies more of a strategy about moving one's token along the game board. It also surely extended the length of the game as well.

Ultimately since the patent is somewhat vague and contradictory and many of the original rules seemed to still be in the process of being worked out, there is certainly some room for you to take some liberties. The patent version surely took much longer, but then it was likely a welcome distraction in war-torn England during blackouts with little else to do in the evenings.

However, I would strive to make your version as close to the patent as possible, in order to make it as different from the Cluedo we know today.
Adding TWO extra rooms certainly helps. Not incorporating elements which are specifically associated with the Waddingtons version, where not otherwise specified is another.

Great job though!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm glad you like it, and I know the rules are hardly near Mr. Pratt's original intentions... I was basing it off the Patent version... not every detail from it...

The game play is very fun... I haven't playing for about 4 or 5 months though...

I really don't know what else to say...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:58 pm

I always had been curious to see a proper Patent Cluedo made. While I do like many aspects of this version, my real beef is with some of the images chosen. For example, the inconsistency of style within the pictures chosen of the characters is really jarring. 1972 Mustard as Dr. Black, next to a cartoon Mr. Brown? Uh.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:01 pm

lol... yes, If I was to remake this one (perhaps in the future, maybe fall break) I would uses actors, and a floorplan software that ISN'T floorplanner.... :twisted:

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Not bad. It's not as though I could do any better.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:18 pm

cacums wrote:I was basing it off the Patent version... not every detail from it...The game play is very fun...
Of course ... not having actually played the game remotely close to this way, I would be curious to know whether strict adherence to Pratt's rules would take some of the fun out of the game or make it more intriguing.

Either way, great job.

Oh, one other note: I just noticed you have a Club and a Cane depicted. The Club is most definitely that, regardless of how you name it, though most likely a Cudgel (or walking stick) per the article I referenced.

The Cane, should in fact be a Fireplace Tool. I tried to use the proper name, but I kept being informed it is a forbidden word! LOL

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm

poker?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:35 pm

CluedoKid wrote:p****r?
Yeah! LOL, I tell you it is like playing Clue to edit my posts so to find the Forbidden Word that I routinely run into. Maybe because I am so new the filter doesn't trust me yet. I assume that word has some off-colour connotations in the U.K.?

As in p****r? I never met her!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Poker? I never new that would be a forbidden word...

But then again, forbidden words won't stop me from saying: "Have a cοcktail in the cοckpit, but use a cork scrеw!"

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

cacums wrote:But then again, forbidden words won't stop me from saying: "Have a cοcktail in the cοckpit, but use a cork scrеw!"
Lol. I STILL don't know how to do that trick.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Simple really Adam. Go to Microsoft word and use an identical symbol as one of the letters rather than the actual standard Roman letter itself. Copy and paste it into your text.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Thank you, CluedoKid. Thank you, cacums (via PM) for all the help. Great. :)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:53 pm

or add [.i][./i] in the middle of a word (taking out the periods)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Some observations

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm

Great idea of yours! Was just thinking I might take this on myself when I came across your thread.

Having recently read this article about Anthony Pratt, and reading this original patent document, I have a few observations about your version:

1) Pratt evidently called his game "Murder!" Therefore, a more apt name for your game might be "Cluedo: Murder!", or "Murder! The Patent Cluedo Game", etc. Perhaps this is where the subtitle "or Murder at Tudor Close", originated in the Waddingtons game.

2) You have all 10 characters represented on the board, however, Pratt only represented 8 starting spaces and allowed for only 8 players in his instructions. Clearly, the 9th character was intended only to ever be a suspect. The starting space assignments seem to be a Waddingtons development, along with Scarlett always rolls first. The authentic patent game would most likely not have designated the starting spaces. In the absence of specific rules, I would have the players roll the dice like in Monopoly to determine not only who goes first, but allow them to chose their starting space, since there is an obvious advantage to choosing some spaces over others, being closer to rooms.

3) Not sure if you also made a distinction between the tall tokens for male players and short tokens female players. It's a little detail, but a fun one.

4) There were in fact 11 playable rooms listed in the patent. The Cellar was as much a room as the Gun Room, or any other, having been converted into the card space by Waddintons. The cards on the patent game were to go under the board. However, the patent also only describes 9 room cards. Therefore, if you are going to include the Gun Room (which is half the fun), I would also include the Cellar as a room.

5) I did not get that any cards were to be dealt directly to the players, but rather, dealt evenly among the rooms. Again this would provide an incentive to a high rolling player to start his piece closest to a room which may have received more cards than another. Landing in a room first rewarded a player with all of the cards it contained.

6) Since no number of suggestion counter-tokens were specified, I suppose 12 is a reasonable number. Since you've played the game, how did that work out? Did you find that any player ran out of tokens before the game was finished? If not, I would suggest a smaller number, since that too was half the fun. Also, I don't believe that it was specified that all of the cards in the rooms were to be retrieved prior to guessing with the tokens. The tokens should be meted out at the start of the game (unless I am wrong about that). One consideration, the number of tokens should probably be weighted proportionately to the number of players. Fewer players, fewer tokens, as the game would be easier and vice-versa.

7) I did not see where this was specified in your rules, but the patent specifies that one must actually LAND on another token in order to transport that token into a room with a weapon. Therein lies more of a strategy about moving one's token along the game board. It also surely extended the length of the game as well.

Ultimately since the patent is somewhat vague and contradictory and many of the original rules seemed to still be in the process of being worked out, there is certainly some room for you to take some liberties. The patent version surely took much longer to play, but then it was likely a welcome distraction in war torn England during blackouts with little else to do in the evenings. However, I would strive to make your version as close to the patent as possible, in order to make it as different from the Cluedo we know today. Adding TWO extra rooms certainly helps with the board. Not incorporating elements which are specifically associated with the Waddingtons version where not otherwise specified is another. In other words, extrapolate rules for making the patent version work, as if you did not know the established rules for Cluedo.

Great job though!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:20 pm

cacums wrote:I was basing it off the Patent version... not every detail from it...The game play is very fun...
Of course ... not having actually played the game remotely close to this way, I would be curious to know whether strict adherence to Pratt's rules would take some of the fun out of the game or make it more intriguing.

Either way, great job.

Oh, one other note: I just noticed you have a Club and a Cane depicted. The Club is most definitely that, regardless of how you name it, though most likely a Cudgel (or walking stick) per the article I referenced.

The Cane, should in fact be a Fireplace Tool. I tried to use P o k e r, but I kept being informed it is a forbidden word! LOL

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:20 pm

delete